New Build Planning

rhoscrazy

Thought I would throw my plan out their to see if anyone has a suggestion.

MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozer
MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard

Intel Core i7 4770k
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Window

Corsair Hydro Series H100i

Samsung 840 SSD 120GB

Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8GB (2x4GB)

Samsung 224BB DVD Re-Writer SATA
Corsair SP120 High Performance (x2)
Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition

Corsair AX760 Modular Power Supply

Western Digital Caviar Red 2TB (x2)
Func KB-460 (Upon Release)
Func MS-3

Corsair Vengance 2000

The one thing which does not sit well with me is the power supply, the wattage is higher than required however I like the look of the all-black cables, any suggestions for a 650W power supply with attractive cables.

I will use the system for gaming, office work, and running virtual machines for my networking university course.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Edited by rhoscrazy

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel i7-4770K | Corsair H80i | Corsair SP120 PWM | MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | MSI GTX770 GAMING | Samsung 840EVO 120GB | 2x WD Red 2TB | Corsair AX760 | Windows 8 Pro

I know someone with a vengeance 2000. and what happened to the bitfenix shinobi?

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I know someone with a vengeance 2000. and what happened to the bitfenix shinobi?

They are shiny and bassy.

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel i7-4770K | Corsair H80i | Corsair SP120 PWM | MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | MSI GTX770 GAMING | Samsung 840EVO 120GB | 2x WD Red 2TB | Corsair AX760 | Windows 8 Pro

They are shiny and bassy.

shiny being the main word for you.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

What about the HX650 from Corsair? I'm sure they are all black cables, I'm sure there is a v2 version of that PSU, however, if your going for a colour scheme, then the PSU HX logo is coloured in Blue. But everything looks great, your going to have a beasty rig! 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

you could save some money getting a g45 instead of a gd65 the diffrence is that the gd65 have more pci slots and more sata ports.

the psu i reccomend is the seasonic platinum series 660 watt cables looks like this BTW may be a bit expensive but it have VERY high quality

post-17257-0-80957000-1371162971.jpg

you could save some money getting a g45 instead of a gd65 the diffrence is that the gd65 have more pci slots and more sata ports.

the psu i reccomend is the seasonic platinum series 660 watt cables looks like this BTW may be a bit expensive but it have VERY high quality

Looks like a good PSU, think I will stay with corsair for the Red logo... trying to stick with a red colour scheme. I chose the GD65 for the extra sata ports.

1 - Optical Drive

2 - SSD

3 - Caviar Red 2TB

4 - Caviar Red 2TB

I then have around 3 more Hard-drives laying around which can go into here, I will undoubtedly fill them up.

Right, the issues arise I am not sure the H100i will fit in the Define R4 with the MSI motherboard. I really like the board and would like to include it.

900x900px-LL-cd65349d_C-P1100918.jpeg

This is a Z77 sabre-tooth in the Define R4 and it barely fits. The Sabertooth has lower and smaller VRM Heatsinks that the beastly MSI Z87-GD65.

21803_msi%20z87-gd65%20gaming%20intro.jp

Will go with a H80i if needs must, but I would prefer the H100i obviously. 

Looks like a good PSU, think I will stay with corsair for the Red logo... trying to stick with a red colour scheme.

Right, the issues arise I am not sure the H100i will fit in the Define R4 with the MSI motherboard. I really like the board and would like to include it.

900x900px-LL-cd65349d_C-P1100918.jpeg

This is a Z77 sabre-tooth in the Define R4 and it barely fits. The Sabertooth has lower and smaller VRM Heatsinks that the beastly MSI Z87-GD65.

21803_msi%20z87-gd65%20gaming%20intro.jp

Will go with a H80i if needs must, but I would prefer the H100i obviously. 

corsair does unfortunately not have red psus (label) under 760w but i guess you could always paint it

If anyone has the MSI Z77A-G45, MSI Z77A-GD65, MSI Z87-G45, or MSI Z87-GD65 in a Define R4 with a top mounted H100 or H100i, please come forward and let me know if their is sufficient clearance. 

Long shot.

@rhoscrazy if it doesn't fit you can borrow my jigsaw.

Would this be enough for a 770, i7-4770k, 6 or 7 hard drives, and a h100i?

I cannot find a reliable wattage calculator that as haswell and gtx700 cards.

Would this be enough for a 770, i7-4770k, 6 or 7 hard drives, and a h100i?

I cannot find a reliable wattage calculator that as haswell and gtx700 cards.

Yes you could do that easily you if you have a good psu (like the one i mentioned) you might even get away on 550 but 600+ to be sure

From what I ave read the Seasonic 760W recommended has the same fan, and efficiency rating as the Corsair AX760, The corsair psu is just a rebrand. As in my territory the 660W Seasonic and the AX760 are the exact same price, I will probably go with the Corsair one.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry to warm this thread up again but i am going to do pretty much the exact same build very soon and i need to know how you ended up with the H100i? Did it fit in the top of the Define R4? I don't want to mount it in the front, as this would be my only air intake.

I'll also use the MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, how much space is there in the top? I'd really appreciate if you'd quickly grab a rular and measure it.

Meow

who cares...

Looks good, if you are not sure about been able to fit the H100i in the R4 case have you looked into some other cases? 

the Thermaltake Chaser A31 or urban S31 have an amazing top fan mount system and you can get them in diff colours.

got to love Asus components

asusfan, on 16 Jul 2013 - 3:31 PM, said:

Looks good, if you are not sure about been able to fit the H100i in the R4 case have you looked into some other cases?

the Thermaltake Chaser A31 or urban S31 have an amazing top fan mount system and you can get them in diff colours.

I am very picky when it comes to cases. For a long time i was planing to get the Obsidian 650D, which would also be good for an H100i. It would maybe even last for the next two builds. But then i thought it's just too much i don't need like the hot swap bay and i can save a good 50 bucks with the R4.

I also like the noise dampening stuff going on with the R4 since I'll try to build a rather silent PC.

The Tt Urban series actually look great. I'll look further into them, thanks!

Edit:

I haven't realised what i apprechiate with the R4. Not until i looked into even more cases. My plans for my build are kind of bizarre, so don't judge me for that. :D I want to take out all the hard drive cages, put the stock fan into the front and buy a corsair AF 140 Quiet edition for the back. Everything for overall better airflow.

I'll mount a 3.5" WD green in a 5.25" bay using a Sharkoon vibe fixer 3. And then also mount and SSD to the back of the motherboard plate. And not all cases support that SSD mount, but the R4 does. So yeah... also the noise, the looks, the size. I'm pretty much into the R4.

I had to recalculate my build anyways and i won't get an H100i (and overclock) right of the bat, so i will have time to measure it out myself, if it would fit or not. Maybe for christmas. :D

who cares...

with the thermaltake chaser a31 and i think on the others you get an adaptor for the optical bay slot that holds a 3.5 hdd and 2x 2.5 ssd drives so you then can take out all the other hard drive cages,

got to love Asus components

• 5 months later...

Late addition but thought it would be nice to let people searching now  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnTaFJicbTU

Fractal Design Define R5 White/Window / Intel 4790K / EVGA Z97 FTW / EVGA G2 750W / Sapphire R9 390 Nitro  / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB / Corsair Force Series GT 240GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB - HGST Ultrastar  4TB / 32GB Kingston HyperX Savage 2600Mhz DDR3 / Cryorig H7 Lumi Edt. /

Are you planning to sli?

Why the Corsair fans? 

The ssdnow v300 is quite cheaper with similar performance to the 840.

Such an expensive cooler is not needed for gaming. I'd go with a 212 Evo instead.

Are you planning on using raid?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Are you planning to sli?

Why the Corsair fans? 

The ssdnow v300 is quite cheaper with similar performance to the 840.

Such an expensive cooler is not needed for gaming. I'd go with a 212 Evo instead.

Are you planning on using raid?

This is an old thread the pc has been built months ago.

This is an old thread the pc has been built months ago.

Oh, my mistake. I didn't notice it was a necro'ed thread.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.