nh-d15 bent heatpipes

HermanT

can someone explain to me this phenomenon and why and how it happens?

I do see some coolers have warped heatpipes, but usually its either all of them or none of them... and here I have 2-3 on noctua, why? whats up?

post-105239-0-78356000-1416626073_thumb.

post-105239-0-52999400-1416626081_thumb.

I do see some coolers have warped heatpipes, but usually its either all of them or none of them... and here I have 2-3 on noctua, why? whats up?

probably overclamped any signs of leakage

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Nahh that's perfectly fine, hyper 212 is just like that.

mC6FcZn.jpg

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

If it doesnt have leakage then you are fine

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

hmphhh... looking at screenshots via google shows me that every nh-d15 has same bends on same pipes in the same area...

what for?

It's likely crimped...normal thing

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

is it daytime down there in america? im surprised to see such lightning responces  at 5 a.m. lol

Only half of the heatpipe ends are bent like that. It is how they are manufactured. There is no performance degradation.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

still weird, every d15 has same pipes crimped at the same spot, how does that work? 

Only half of the heatpipe ends are bent like that. It is how they are manufactured. There is no performance degradation.

since we are on the subject and I dont want to make another post on heatpipes (had a question laying around before)... whats inside heat pipes? Linus said something about gass or something, I always thought that they were solid copper...

since we are on the subject and I dont want to make another post on heatpipes (had a question laying around before)... whats inside heat pipes? Linus said something about gass or something, I always thought that they were solid copper...

They are solid copper unless it is advertised as a special "vapour-chamber" heatpipe design which has water inside.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

still weird, every d15 has same pipes crimped at the same spot, how does that work? 

Heat pipes are not solid pieces; they're filled with a fluid. So the crimped side is likely the side that was filled.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

They are solid copper unless it is advertised as a special "vapour-chamber" heatpipe design which has water inside.

sorry I'll rephrase that... I though they war solid pieces as in not hollow... but they are actualy hollow inside (pipe I guess... my slow logic duh...), hollow filled with air unless otherwise advertised?

yeah, my hyper 212 is crimped like that. and its 10:30pm here in america on the east, and earlier in the night in the rest of it. 

btw guys, that is some badass badge (case sticker) noctua gives you... its like about 1.2mm (1.0mm -1.5mm) thick... thick iron with printed logo...

sorry I'll rephrase that... I though they war solid pieces as in not hollow... but they are actualy hollow inside (pipe I guess... my slow logic duh...), hollow filled with air unless otherwise advertised?

Copper heatpipes are solid copper, not hollow, only copper inside.

Vapour chamber heatpipes are hollow pieces of copper filled with air and water.

I dont know if the NH D15 uses vapour chamber or not, you will have to look that up.

Spoiler

I dont know if the NH D15 uses vapour chamber or not, you will have to look that up.

Laptop_CPU_Heat_Pipe_Cross_Section.jpg

if they would use that, there would be no competition lol...

thanks!

I mean i bend my heatsink to remove it. Makes it much easier to remove.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

awesome video, thanks!

whats the difference with the vapor chamber then... soo many bloody questions...

Linus answered that one-

You are misinformed. Whoever told you that heatpipes are solid deserves a punch in the face.

Also, Vapor chambers (and heatpipes) do not have air inside. Its contains part vacuum and part liquid.

they are ALWAYS empty pipes, not solid.

They are empty and have liquid, they are sealed without air inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vk5B6Gga10

How can you call it empty when there is something inside? 

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

You are misinformed. Whoever told you that heatpipes are solid deserves a punch in the face.

Also, Vapor chambers (and heatpipes) do not have air inside. Its contains part vacuum and part liquid.

Well personally I wouldn't punch linus in the face, but I'm pretty sure he has said "solid copper heatpipes" at least 2-3 years ago.

Looks like my info is outdated, sorry :P

Spoiler