Why does a whole site have to go down because of maintenance?

interneteducated

Is there no way to do maintenance part by part without taking down the whole site?

Insert Sarcasm / Raging / Bragging / Inspirational Crap Here.

I think it was server maintenance. So the servers that run everything had no power and therefore were not running. 

If you change some files on website its best to take it down first so you can be sure no one would access files that are being changed. And if they do something wrong it wont be seen by us. They bring it online only after they make sure that website is ok.

Probably due to testing

False. MrWizard (the site admin) explained what the downtime was here.

They can't change or tweak settings if the server is under such a load that they can't get to the files they need to modify.

You wouldn't upgrade your cpu with the computer on so why would you perform maintenance on a running website?

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Is there no way to do maintenance part by part without taking down the whole site?

I'll bite.

There are many ways to do maintenance without taking the forum down, and 90% of the tweaks we do are completely invisible and require no interruption of service (which is why you don't hear about them). The only time we do maintenance where we need to take the forum offline are when we're working on a critical piece that is either dynamic in nature or can't physically be online or powered on while we're working on it (such as physical movement of the pieces). 

Long story short, you only hear about maintenance and offline notices when we're doing something that requires there to be something offline or inaccessible by normal usage of the forum.

You'll hear more about it on the WAN show tonight. Stay tuned.

<p><a data-ipb="nomediaparse" style="text-decoration:none;!important" href="https://twitter.com/MrWizardLTT"><span style="color:#99ccff;">@MrWizardLTT</span></a>

You will have to have a mirror site and this is only done when the business sees it fit to have one, most of the times it will be due to income being lost because of down time.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.