SimBench (Simplicity Benchmark)

Opcode

SimBench

(Simplicity Benchmark)

MFq9WQc.png

About

I've been working on creating a new CPU benchmark for Linux known as 'SimBench'. It will make its debut to the techy world here on LTT. The purpose of this project is to keep the benchmark software simple and to bring some kind of base for easy to use benchmarking software on the Linux platform (I may build it for Windows and OS X later on).

How It Works

It runs arithmetic calculations designed for both integer cores and floating point units. How fast your CPU can handle these calculations will result in a score (the higher the better). SimBench currently runs four dedicated benchmark routines.

• Single Thread Integer Arithmetic
  • Single Thread Floating Point Arithmetic
  • Multiple Thread Integer Arithmetic
  • Multiple Thread Floating Point Arithmetic

The end result should be comparable numbers based on core performance and general overall performance of the microprocessor. SimBench currently supports desktop mainstream microprocessors with the following core configurations (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8). Them numbers include Hyper-Threading so SimBench can leverage all 16 threads.

Development Testing

SimBench is still under development, while it's current results can be used to validate comparable performance. These results are likely to change between now and a final release. So I encourage you to not use it as a valid form of real world benchmarking yet. If you decide to try out a preview version of SimBench, you can download it below.

Download

• Download x86_64 Preview - Alternative (Mirror) Discontinued!

Other Notes

I strongly encourage you to take a screenshot of your results and post them here. It would also help if you could have "System Monitor" open and running so I can see your CPU utilization while benchmarking. Also keep in mind SimBench will read Hyper-Threading enabled CPU's as having extra cores (this is normal).

Anyhow, bring on the constructive criticism.  :)

Coincidentally I just finished installing Ubuntu. I'll give this a try when I get my other software set up on it.

"Rawr XD"

Cool! I'll try this when I get home, on 1. AMD 7850K (Lubuntu), Pentium D 950 (Lubuntu) and i7 3612QM (Fedora)

Part of the Q6600 club

Coincidentally I just finished installing Ubuntu. I'll give this a try when I get my other software set up on it.

Just in time for the party  :P

Cool! I'll try this when I get home, on 1. AMD 7850K (Lubuntu), Pentium D 950 (Lubuntu) and i7 3612QM (Fedora)

Sounds great! I am curious as how your 7850k will stack up against my 6800k.

If you need a mirror lemme know. I have a gigabit vps with a lot of unused bandwidth and space

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

I wonder how a beast Q6600 will stack up against those "new fangled" core i7 processors.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

If you need a mirror lemme know. I have a gigabit vps with a lot of unused bandwidth and space

Direct links would be good as I move closer towards a final release (so you can even benchmark dedicated Linux servers via SSH :P).

I'll give it a shot. If this is coded well it should be an excellent benchmarking tool. :D

Can you customize the tests for how long they run, which ones run, etc?

Direct links would be good as I move closer towards a final release (so you can even benchmark dedicated Linux servers via SSH :P).

Precisely :) I might even throw this on my vps to see how it performs. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

I'll give it a shot. If this is coded well it should be an excellent benchmarking tool. :D

Can you customize the tests for how long they run, which ones run, etc?

The tests are all hard coded for an extremely critical reason. If I gave the user the ability to switch things up the scores will no longer be comparable among others. For simplicity sake everyone gets the same exact tests. This keeps things simple so you know the scores people are pushing out are valid results.

The tests are all hard coded for an extremely critical reason. If I gave the user the ability to switch things up the scores will no longer be comparable among others. For simplicity sake everyone gets the same exact tests. This keeps things simple so you know the scores people are pushing out are valid results.

What about different levels of tests? Like 3dmark has their Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra

Looks like I'm the first one here :P

cJJavlf.png?1

T58X0cG.png?1

3TkORXx.png?1

Woah, I see some bugs. Floating point calculations shouldn't exceed integer calculations (more than likely due to how I calculate the score).  :lol:

Woah, I see some bugs. Floating point calculations shouldn't exceed integer calculations.  :lol:

Maybe you got them backwards xD

If you did looks like even this ULV i5 holds its ground pretty well against the A10.

"Rawr XD"

Maybe you got them backwards xD

If you did looks like even this ULV i5 holds its ground pretty well against the A10.

It's my score calculation is off by a long shot. I am working on a new method based on averages so it will much more consistent and target actual performance better.

That makes a lot of sense, just wondering.

Downloads don't link anywhere? Or am I just dumb?

That makes a lot of sense, just wondering.

Downloads don't link anywhere? Or am I just dumb?

I removed them due to some critical issues with score calculation. I will attempt to fix it and get the links back up in by tomorrow (possibly with Windows builds).

Edit: Can someone with a Hyper-Thread enabled CPU run this build. @Aniallation

Edit: Can someone with a Hyper-Thread enabled CPU run this build. @Aniallation

You got it boss. Second result still higher then first. 

Running SimBench with sudo seems to utilize CPU differently, and gives better results

Too lazy to resize:

HNYcBaj.png

IPMRxO0.png

"Rawr XD"

You got it boss. Second result still higher then first. 

Running SimBench with sudo seems to utilize CPU differently, and gives better results

Too lazy to resize:

HNYcBaj.png

IPMRxO0.png

Interestingly enough even these benchmarks show your chip having superior floating point performance over integer.

8d66tzC.png

Ran with sudo and got the same results.

I cant click anymore on the link for windows... Where to download? I'd give it a shot, seems really interesting xD

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

Interestingly enough even these benchmarks show your chip having superior floating point performance over integer.

No clue

"Rawr XD"

No clue

New version is up, can you give it a go?  :)

You no longer have to run it from the terminal, just double click it and go.  ;)

New version is up, can you give it a go?  :)

You no longer have to run it from the terminal, just double click it and go.  ;)

403 on the download link

"Rawr XD"

What is this written in btw?