Buying a sound card

Matimo
Go to solution Solved by NeCoNLive,

I'm building myself a new computer, and I want to buy a sound card although I'm not sure on which one to buy. Here's some more detailed information.

• I have a set of Logitech 5.1 surround sound speakers (http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/surround-sound-speakers-z506?crid=47)
    • Thus, I can't use a DAC because I need to have the black and the orange ports, else I'll be running off 'phantom' surround sound (which is basically glorified stereo).
  • My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150. I don't think that there's anything special about the audio there, and I'm sure that a sound card could dramatically improve my experience.
  • My budget is around £100 (This is around US$130)
  • I am planning on buying a set of Audio Technica ATH-M50X, an upgrade from my current £50 Sony pair.

Thanks for your help!

After to some light research, I have found the Asus Xonar DX. Any comments?

BLACKWIDOW: i5 4690k - MSI GTX970 - 2x 4gb GSkill RJ X - 256gb MX100 - 1tb WD Blue - NZXT H440

do not bother. that boards onboard audio is good enough

sound cards are only really required for very high end auidio gear, and complicated sound systems with lots of componenets

Onboard audio is good enough for those speakers. You wont benefit from a sound card with a £80 set of speakers.

As others have said for most things onboard is amazing, if you are doing pro work then its a diff case.

As others have said for most things onboard is amazing, if you are doing pro work then its a diff case.

Onboard audio is good enough for those speakers. You wont benefit from a sound card with a £80 set of speakers.

do not bother. that boards onboard audio is good enough

sound cards are only really required for very high end auidio gear, and complicated sound systems with lots of componenets

Ok, thanks guys, looks like you just saved me £100 :)

BLACKWIDOW: i5 4690k - MSI GTX970 - 2x 4gb GSkill RJ X - 256gb MX100 - 1tb WD Blue - NZXT H440

links video to the tek lol biased and reports fake benches just as much sci-fi as the books on his desk

from gaming stand point sound card can be great addition becuz of the software surround included

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxO9cd-sYA#t=0

also m50's arent great at all for fps games

links video to the tek lol biased and reports fake benches just as much sci-fi as the books on his desk

from gaming stand point sound card can be great addition becuz of the software surround included

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxO9cd-sYA#t=0

also m50's arent great at all for fps games

Razer's surround software is free and works fine.

Razer's surround software is free and works fine.

its crap compared to sbx(thx), cmss3d, and yamaha's silent cinema

its crap compared to sbx(thx), cmss3d, and yamaha's silent cinema

At least it doesn't make your headphones sound worse due to dampening factor. Also built in surround is usually better. 

At least it doesn't make your headphones sound worse due to dampening factor. Also built in surround is usually better. 

razors is crap period try all them out yourself, you might need a yamaha reciever to check theirs out though

razors is crap period try all them out yourself, you might need a yamaha reciever to check theirs out though

I never said Razer was good. And notice how I spelled it. I said in game surround is good and what you should be using and dampening factor makes most headphones sound worse with sound cards. 

I never said Razer was good. And notice how I spelled it. I said in game surround is good and what you should be using and dampening factor makes most headphones sound worse with sound cards. 

I been through many sound cards(onboard too) and headphones(even some headsets) and even have objective combo,fiios, and couple recievers,

I want my gaming to be immersive, which sound cards do better, music wise whole different story

gaming wise sbx blows everything else away imo

and I cant rely on the games built-in everytime to many different coder/programmers/engines/etc out there

I been through many sound cards(onboard too) and headphones(even some headsets) and even have objective combo,fiios, and couple recievers,

I want my gaming to be immersive, which sound cards do better, music wise whole different story

gaming wise sbx blows everything else away imo

and I cant rely on the games built-in everytime to many different coder/programmers/engines/etc out there

If you want to pay so much to get your games a little more "immersive" then go ahead but it's not worth it to most people and we don't recommend it because of the cost.