4790k or 5820k

Im building my first computer and im tryig to decide whether its worth saving up a bit more and getting a 5820k or just get a 4790k. Is there a huge performance difference or not much at all?

Depends what you're doing on the computer. In most cases you will never need an i7, let alone an enthusiast i7.

Im building my first computer and im tryig to decide whether its worth saving up a bit more and getting a 5820k or just get a 4790k. Is there a huge performance difference or not much at all?

2 cores difference 4 threads...

In apps. Check out youtube

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I'd get the 5820K if i were you. You pay a little extra for 2 additional core. 

Mobo: ASUS X99-A  // CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix //  Ram: 4 x 4 GB 2666 Mhz G.Skill Ripjaw // SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe //  PSU: Cooler Master V850  // Case: Corsair 760T Arch White // Mouse: Logitec G903 Lightspeed // Keyboard: Logitech G Pro // Headphones: Audio Technica Ath-R70x // Monitor: BenQ BL2710PT

If you're going with the 5820k, you'll also have to buy an x99 board along with DDR4 Ram, which is really expensive

If you're unlucky in the silicon lottery, a 4790k is still rated to run at 4GHz

i dont think its worth the extra you pay for the x99 platform unless you really need the extra cores. you my not even need the 4790K, just depends on what you plan on using your computer for.

No need to go beyond lga1150 imho; a 5820k would need a different mobo and ram, inflating your building costs quite a bit

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-

4790k's can handle a decent amount of content creation should you decide to, and besides i think it would be a better idea to put the additional cost of an X99 board and DDR4 into better graphics horsepower instead.

for content creation yes, but keep in mind that x99 mainboards are also more expensive.

for gaming anything above 4690k is probably useless.

Not true, the 4790k actually DOES show a 5+ or even more (some I even saw 20 extra frames) improvements in FPS in certain games. 

If you haven't yet seen this video, check it out.

It's a simulated comparison of a 5820k vs a 4790k (and others).

The extra cores really help with background tasks. So if you plan on running anything in the background while gaming, it's probably better to go for the extra cores.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

Unless you're looking to do a lot of content creation, as in you're supporting your self via content creation pumping out several videos a day and ever second counts, then I wouldn't bother with the 5820k and if you are creating a lot of content like that then at that point you should really be looking at a more powerful CPU then.

The extra cost of the motherboard and DDR4 ram is not worth it for gaming and even moderate content creation / streaming right now.

source..

Ironically I saw this the other day and after 5 minutes of searching cannot find that article. Ignoring that one now, I've come to see the MOST you'd get is around 8ish frames and typically it's 3-5 frames...oops. xD 

IT'S STILL A BONUS GAWD DAMMIT. LOL 

Unless you're looking to do a lot of content creation, as in you're supporting your self via content creation pumping out several videos a day and ever second counts, then I wouldn't bother with the 5820k and if you are creating a lot of content like that then at that point you should really be looking at a more powerful CPU then.

The extra cost of the motherboard and DDR4 ram is not worth it for gaming and even moderate content creation / streaming right now.

Which is why I'm pretty much set on a E3 Xeon build right now.