Need a PC adapter with both Wifi capability and 1Gbit ethernet

FIXXX

Hello!

I'm looking for a dedicated PCI adapter that has both WiFi capability and supports 1000Mbit ethernet.

Using a GA-990FXA-UD3 and it's own ethernet adapter seems to be having issues with stability and i'd like to have WiFi possibility just in case.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Typically you will not find both, you can however buy a wifi card and a Ethernet card. Most are cheap.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Typically you will not find both, you can however buy a wifi card and a Ethernet card. Most are cheap.

Yes I've noticed this.

What about selecting one of each - we mostly have Asus and TP-LINK stuff here. Both failed me before.

As they are acceptably priced on Ebay, I can totally look there - just want to know - what for :)

Are these USB 3.0 to Ethernet thingies any good?

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Limited expansion slots I assume? If you are going to have one as a USB dongle I'd lean towards making the wireless one the USB dongle. Purely because Ethernet is more likely to chew up the bandwidth. But both should be fine as USB dongles especially if you're going for USB 3.0.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Limited expansion slots I assume? If you are going to have one as a USB dongle I'd lean towards making the wireless one the USB dongle. Purely because Ethernet is more likely to chew up the bandwidth. But both should be fine as USB dongles especially if you're going for USB 3.0.

Sounds good. Thanks!

Hello!

I'm looking for a dedicated PCI adapter that has both WiFi capability and supports 1000Mbit ethernet.

Using a GA-990FXA-UD3 and it's own ethernet adapter seems to be having issues with stability and i'd like to have WiFi possibility just in case.

Is that Motherboard still under Warranty? If you bought it through legit/proper channels (Eg: Not on eBay, but even then, sometimes still covered), then it comes with a 3-year warranty.

If so, RMA that mutha ASAP, as it should have no problems with Wireless or Ethernet.

As stated above, there aren't any combo adapter cards that I'm aware of - and if there were, unless they were made by Intel, or another trusted network solutions company - then I'd stay far away from them!

How many free slots do you have on the motherboard, and of what types? According to the spec sheet, it has 5 PCIe slots (I'll assume at least one 16x PCIe slot is used by a GPU), and one PCI slot. Are all the PCIe slots full? If not, how many are free?

I would recommend keeping with PCIe cards if at all possible, as you'll just have better bandwidth and stability in general. But as mentioned by @skywake if you must use one over USB, choose the Wifi card.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Is that Motherboard still under Warranty? If you bought it through legit/proper channels (Eg: Not on eBay, but even then, sometimes still covered), then it comes with a 3-year warranty.

If so, RMA that mutha ASAP, as it should have no problems with Wireless or Ethernet.

As stated above, there aren't any combo adapter cards that I'm aware of - and if there were, unless they were made by Intel, or another trusted network solutions company - then I'd stay far away from them!

How many free slots do you have on the motherboard, and of what types? According to the spec sheet, it has 5 PCIe slots (I'll assume at least one 16x PCIe slot is used by a GPU), and one PCI slot. Are all the PCIe slots full? If not, how many are free?

I would recommend keeping with PCIe cards if at all possible, as you'll just have better bandwidth and stability in general. But as mentioned by @skywake if you must use one over USB, choose the Wifi card.

Successful returns in my country are extremely rare if the defect isn't evident and not obviously on the manufacturer's side so explaining to them how it fails during my work will be useless.

I do have several slots. PCI express X1, i think two X16s and maybe one regular PCI.

Oddly enough this thing doesn't fit in either one (http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WN851N#spec). The first row of pins in a few millimeters too long...