Bottom Mounted PSU, fan facing Up or Down?

sew999

Mount it with the fan facing up - that way the carpet won't be a problem, and the psu will act as a case exhaust, improving airflow :)

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-

But what if my carpet is clean, without powder and hairs. So then my case can be at carpet with psu with fan facing down? Its not dangerous?

"cleanliness" is not the main problem when you put a computer case on a carpet - the main issue is that the case feet will tend to sink into the carpet, severely limiting airflow under the case - so, considering how little clearance that particular case has to begin with, you should definitely mount the power supply with the fan facing up :)

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-

It should look like this? Is this ok?

xfx22.jpg

Here are your options:

Face fan up:

GPU and PSU pull air from inside the case and exhaust out the back, negative air pressure in the case - Okay if you have dust filters.

Face fan down:

PSU pulls air from under case and exhausts out the back, fan may be blocked by not enough air flow and could die.

Remove Carpet:

PSU pulls air from bottom and exhausts out back, nothing blocking the intake.

Overall I'd just mount it facing upwards in the case and keep the carpet. No need to rearrange your life over a PSU fan.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Ok finally . I want to ask you guys. Is here enough room for airflow to the fan in my psu? Here are the screens what is looking :

( first screen are my pc ) Is here enough room for airflow to the fan in my psu here?

image.jpg

centurion590.jpg

( second screen is not my screen, but position is like on my psu )

Put it facing down unless there is carpet under it

SYSTEM SPECS

i7 4790k | LTT Edition Noctua NH-U12S | Gigabyte Z97-SOC Force | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 | 120GB Samsung 850 EVO | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | NVIDIA GTX 980ti | H440 Orange | EVGA 650B3 PSU

The most important question. Is here enough room for airflow to the fan in my psu? There is enough room under the case to provide air to PSU?

image.jpg

I will add to my case non reference card Asus Gtx 980 Strix with 2 fans. So question now. Which way of plug PSU will be better,with fan facing up or facing down? Which way should i go ,for better airflow and better GPU temperatures?Damn i am confused. !

Carpet is dusty so your PSU will suck in alot of dust, if the carpet is one which isn't mounted to the floor, you know what I mean. When the carpet is the floor, that's how I mean it you should face the fan of the PSU up but if it's just a carpet which you lay down you can move it and put the case on the floor and let the fan faced down

And mount as many fans as possible and clean them every month, especially on carpet, and use as many intakes as exhausts like 3 intake and 3 exhausts

Finally. I want ask you dear forum. So piece of wood will be the best yes? Like this?  2 screens: That will be ok?:

image.jpg

de22.jpg

Can i use some cardboard instead piece of wood under the case? Can i just use some cardboard , is it safe?

Somebody told me that i can run the risk of unsupported cardboard (by itself) warping or bending from my case weight and this could cause issues with the working area around the PSU intake by decreasing the space between the case and cardboard. So i am worried now a little using cardboard.

Actually my psu is mounted with fan facing down. Case is on carpet. Its ok or its any risk to damage PSU because it is on carpet?

You could suffocate the PSU if it's downwards and on carpet, just put it up there's barely any difference

If its on carpet just put a board or shelf under it to block the dust. But ether way make no difference

Ok i finally want ask you about my case. The most important question.
The stock feet should not interfere with airflow? Stock feet is enough?

image.jpg

feet.jpg

image.jpg

Ok i finally want ask you about my case. The most important question.

The stock feet should not interfere with airflow? Stock feet is enough?

Of course it will restrict airflow a little bit, but there's enough of a gap that it should be sufficient. Shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: Since you don't have a filter on the bottom of your case you'll have to clean out your PSU every now and then to prevent dust build-up.

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

Can i put under case something like that ( cardboard )?

cboard.jpg

Dude... just mount the psu with the fan facing UP. It'll make your life 10,000 times easier and it won't suffocate your psu with CARPET. Honestly, using a board/cardboard is more work and danger to the case falling over than anything else.

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

Can i use that carboard under case, its safe? ( picture down ):

image201410270001.jpg

if the room is lots of dust or use carpet under the case, i'd rather use fan face up. as long as the case and the cardboard has some space then no problem. make sure you have plenty of space for air flow in. :)

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i

So finally. Can i put case on that desk? Here is the screen:

deska.jpg