What is RAID 0 ,RAID 5 ? just heard it in another topic

sgtcool

what is that?

too lazy to google :P

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

lDk0uif.jpg

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

here you go 

post-38716-0-99616100-1413831058.jpg

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

RAID - redundant array of inexpensive disks

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

@Jobbe03

:D

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

lDk0uif.jpg

uhwht.gif

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

so its not really worth it with an SSD and a HDD ok

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

raid 1 or more for backup still is, raid 0 isnt

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

raid 1 or more for backup still is, raid 0 isnt

Redundancy != Backup.

RAID (>0) offers only the former.

Redundancy != Backup.

RAID (>0) offers only the former.

i was answering to the post right above mine, where he said it wouldnt be worth it for SSD and a HDD; but it still is for backup :)

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

@Rorgash

I know what post you responded to.  ;)  Personally I still wouldn't put an SSD into a RAID1 with an HDD - I'd just backup the files (without using RAID). :)

RAID is simply a group of HDD's or SSD's configured to give better performance, redundancy, or both.

RAID 0 - (A.K.A striped): This array uses 2 or more drives. All data is broken into pieces and those pieces are distributed across the 2 drives, so that essentially 1 half of a file is on one drive, and the other half is on the other drive. This gives you extremely good performance scaling since you have more drives to search for and read the data. It does not offer any redundancy, and the full capacity of all drives are available.

RAID 1 - (mirroring): This uses 2 drives. Anything done to drive number 1 automatically happens to drive number 2, always staying in sync and being perfect copies of each other. This is redundancy in its basic form. If one drive fails, the computer will remain working off the other and the raid controller will notify you so you can replace the drive. The capacity of only 1 drive will be available. 

RAID 4 - (parity): This uses 3 or more drives. The drives gain performance by distributing data, similar to raid 1. Plus all data is compressed into what is called 'parity' data, and this data is stored on one of the drives in the array. When a drive fails the computer is often able to continue to work, although slowly because it has to decompress the data stored from the parity. You can then buy a new hard drive, take the old one out, plug the new one in, and it will rebuild itself. If 2 drives are lost at the same time though, it is not recoverable. The capacity of 1 drive will not be available as it is reserved for parity.

RAID 5 - (distributed parity): This is the same as RAID 4, but instead of storing all parity data on one drive, it distributes it across all drives.

RAID 6 - (double distributed parity): This is the same as RAID 5, except that parity data is stored twice. This allows for 2 drive failures at the same time to be recoverable, but also makes it so that 2 drives worth of capacity will not be available.

RAID 10 - (striping + mirroring): Also known as RAID 0+1, or even 1+0, this raid is really a compound raid. In this raid you have 2 seperate RAID 0's that themselves are in a RAID 1. This allows you to have the performance of 0, but the redundancy of 1. It requires a minimum of 4 drives (2 drives in each RAID 0), and because of the RAID 1, only 1/2 the capacity of your drives will be available. 

There are other types too, but those are by far the most common.