What is the greatest advancement in IT

OriginalPromise

Phew, the biggest? Huge question and there are great answers here already. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and point out how awesome the UPS (uninterruptable power supply) is for normal guys in IT. There's probably one (or a couple) of these bad boys behind every website on the internet today. Then there's all of the schools, businesses, and man caves that rely on this technology when the power stops being reliable. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

NextStep / OpenStep

next_cube_front.jpg

This is for a few reasons:

• Was the development platform for the World Wide Web and the Server to run it.
  • Rock Solid UNIX OS which has allowed Apple to have one step ahead for 15 Years (OSX Server came out in 1999).

Without this Microsoft would be the only real horse in the consumer operating system race and that would have caused progress to slow to a stop, We'd still be on Windows 2000 by now as Microsoft wouldn't have had to really bother with updating the OS with consumer-like features.

One step ahead, Did you not think about Linux in the server space, and if NextStep had not been released, Linux based OS's probably would have overthrown Microsoft in the consumer market if they decided to stop innovating and iterating

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

I'm thankful for cloud drives saved my butt a few times. 

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

Graphine conductors. For all the energy storage ( when it comes out)

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

One step ahead, Did you not think about Linux in the server space, and if NextStep had not been released, Linux based OS's probably would have overthrown Microsoft in the consumer market if they decided to stop innovating and iterating

Linux didn't have the Object oriented programming in which the World Wide Web was developed on, NextStep wasn't just the web server, it was the development platform for the first web browser. 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

silicon based microprocessors and the future and innovation in quantum cpus

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

since you said to pick only one.. i think it's 'Moores law' , Since otherwise the devices we have wouldn't be at this size & have this much performance..

Details separate people.

Consumer level high speed storage devices (SSD's)

I think they are the only thing that made a significant change to my computer in the last few years.

Electricity, without it nothing would have happened.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

VMs and RDPing/Console

Any of you guys that are sys admins know why

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Youtube 

because internet was small before youtube

youtube made it big

Linux didn't have the Object oriented programming in which the World Wide Web was developed on, NextStep wasn't just the web server, it was the development platform for the first web browser. 

You do realize that you can program in any language, I could program in Java on Linux or I could use Python or C or C++. C++, Java and Python are object oriented, C++ has been around since 1983 and Python has been around since 1991, Java was 1995 (but that was after the World Wide Web)

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

You do realize that you can program in any language, I could program in Java on Linux or I could use Python or C or C++. C++, Java and Python are object oriented, C++ has been around since 1983 and Python has been around since 1991, Java was 1995 (but that was after the World Wide Web)

I know programming languages have been around that long but you didn't read my post correctly, Only NextStep/OpenStep had OBJECT Oriented Programming. The World Wide Web Browser was released in December 1990.

Plus this is ancient history were talking about (In the computer world). Tim Burners Lee chose NextStep for his development platform due to a rock solid Unix underpinning, amazing networking abilities and the Object Oriented Programming environment. Linux didn't even exist in 1990, in fact the initial release of Linux was in 1991.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Youtube 

because internet was small before youtube

youtube made it big

Well.. Videos sure.. But videos that start with P and end with N..

I know programming languages have been around that long but you didn't read my post correctly, Only NextStep/OpenStep had OBJECT Oriented Programming. The World Wide Web Browser was released in December 1990.

Plus this is ancient history were talking about (In the computer world). Tim Burners Lee chose NextStep for his development platform due to a rock solid Unix underpinning, amazing networking abilities and the Object Oriented Programming environment. Linux didn't even exist in 1990, in fact the initial release of Linux was in 1991.

C++ is object oriented, it was originally called C with Class and it has been around since 1983. oh woops thought the world wide web was developed in 1993, actually 89-91. my mistake