PCIe Lanes - PCIe 8x vs 16x in SLI

How do 4 cards in sli breath?

Less air is needed around the card for heat exchange here, because the Nvidia reference coolers Linus used exhaust heat out their rear I/O panels rather than into the case or the surrounding cards. While third-party coolers are probably "better" in most cases, the reference coolers may actually perform better in four-way SLI for that reason.

Would gsync fix the problems linus was seeing with 3way and 4way???

I want to see information for PCI-E 1.0 vs 2.0 vs 3.0 for single cards to quad SLI in terms of performance in games.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I want to see information for PCI-E 1.0 vs 2.0 vs 3.0 for single cards to quad SLI in terms of performance in games.

Here's some benchmarks I ran with PCIe configurations going even lower than Linus did, but I only have one card.  Should give you a better idea of what it takes to create a PCIe bottleneck though (spoiler alert, PCIe Gen2 x1 still gets playable framerates hehe)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wbuf2CEUhVee2yAFgoYRRzUvurs51C7fZPNN-oPxn-w/edit?usp=sharing

Here's some benchmarks I ran with PCIe configurations going even lower than Linus did, but I only have one card.  Should give you a better idea of what it takes to create a PCIe bottleneck though (spoiler alert, PCIe Gen2 x1 still gets playable framerates hehe)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wbuf2CEUhVee2yAFgoYRRzUvurs51C7fZPNN-oPxn-w/edit?usp=sharing

Great spreadsheet there, I am also interested to know how the bus latency behaves in addition to just the overall performance, or if that would even matter.

I know use of PLEX chips can increase latency, but I don't know what happens when the bus becomes saturated.

I would have really preferred having this test done with AMD R9 290X cards, since we know for sure that they rely 100% on the PCI-e lanes for card interconnects.

• 2 months later...

So I see that more PCIe lanes makes for better performance, but I'm finding a hard time finding the max PCIe lanes for AMD APUs :/ 
I would like to have dual R7 260X cards in my machine some time in the future (I have one at the moment in crossfire with an HD 7000 series), and I'm looking for a new processor that can make such things happen with good results. I was looking at an A10-7850K because it's a good price for me, but now I'm second-guessing it because I don't know how well it works with dual graphics (or triple because YOLO).

Can someone help me with this or at least direct me to a site that gives this information?

P.S. I would also like to know how many lanes an Athlon X4 760K supports; it is my current CPU.

• 1 year later...

Hello community!

I just saw the video and I am still kinda confused. Please take a look at my configuration:

https://www.alternate.at/html/configurator/builder/loadSharedConfiguration.html?kind=pcBuilder&id=a2ab8fac3ac1eb64403c69213d295fa9

CPU supports 1x16 lanes. But the R9 390 already takes 2x16 lanes. (I guess 1x16 for the power and data and the second one just because it is too huge)
Till now everything is ok. But I also would like to connect a M2 SSD, which operates through a PCIe interface. (Lines are not mentioned)
So do I have to except FPS drops and or read/write SSD speed, since the CPU does not support so many lanes?

Thanks in advance

Hello LMG!

I'm going to build a rig for CUDA computing (VDNN) and I wonder how the PCI lanes affect on such GPU work because during the CUDA computing SLI is not used and all the GPUs work separately and the performance between CPU and GPU will play a significant role. 

Can you make a short video (maybe Luke in his new video series) testing that?

• 7 months later...

Noob question.

I have a z77 with a GTX 980Ti. If I install a 10GbE card or a PCI-E SSD, will it affect the performance of the GPU?

I hope someone can answer. Thanks!

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:55 PM, mike1808 said:

Hello LMG!

I'm going to build a rig for CUDA computing (VDNN) and I wonder how the PCI lanes affect on such GPU work because during the CUDA computing SLI is not used and all the GPUs work separately and the performance between CPU and GPU will play a significant role. 

Can you make a short video (maybe Luke in his new video series) testing that?

Did you ever get an answer? I want to add two titans to my rig of 2x980ti to boost hashing  but am not sure if CPU lanes matter when using GPU for password recovery...

• 3 years later...

Im got a Dell IPCFL-SC/R Alienware AURORA R8 Motherboard 02XRCM LGA1151 Z370 DDR4 02XRCM an wondering if a Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo Video Card would loose performance due x16 runing only x8