New Monster Build + a few ?'s

EATMYSOX

Hello everyone...

Would like to know your opinion on my upcoming build as well as a few questions that I had:

Proposed build:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/eatmysox/saved/yMvD4D

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core $605.99

CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid $98.98

Motherboard Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 $417.93

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 $363.99

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Classified ACX $459.99 x2 in SLI 

Power Supply Corsair AX860i ATX12V / EPS12V $219.99

Optical Drive Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $69.99

- GTX 770's will be replaced with 970's in SLI.

- I will be reusing my Corsair Obsidian 800D case

- I will be reusing all my HDD's as well (1 x Samsung 840 EVO 750GB SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1 x 640GB WD, 1 x 2TB WD MyBook Ext. USB3.0)

A few questions:

1.) I currently have a Corsair HX850 power supply which is 80+ Silver. (from 2010 & it's never given me any issues) Should I keep this PS? Will it be able to handle my new system? OR should I upgrade to the AX860i? I like the idea of the Corsair Link that works with the PS & Water cooler. The 860i is also 80+ Platinum.

2.) Since my new CPU & MOBO fully support DDR4 what speed should I go with? How much of a difference will it make between 2133/2400/2666/2800/3000?

3.) Should I invest in another SSD?

4.) My OS is currently on my SSD. Will I have any issues if I were to take that out of my current system and stick in in my new system? In terms of Mobo drivers and other hardware drivers? Or will it be relatively straight forwards since Windows should recognize all my new hardware and install/request for new drivers?

Thanks in advance for all the help/comments/suggestions!

970's will be coming out shortly. Why even bother with the 770's? Unless you already have the 770's.

850W should be plenty. The 970's should use ~200W each.

1. Hx850 is fine it'll handle 2 970's
2. anything is fine right now safe to go with a higher speed but don't break the bank by doing so

3.no you're fine on the ssd front
4.yes you will have to reinstall driver or even might have to reinstall your os.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

970's will be coming out shortly. Why even bother with the 770's? Unless you already have the 770's.

850W should be plenty. The 970's should use ~200W each.

What I meant to say in my post is that the 770's are only on my list for reference purposes. I will be getting the 970's. Since they're released tomorrow!!! 

Not bad, but personally I'd skip getting the 770's, and with the money saved, buy ONE 980 Ti. I always prefer having one powerful GPU over two ok ones, because of power consumption and more importantly the fact that not all applications benefit from SLI. Everything else seems to be OK. 

My build: tis be ordered

Hey there,

You've got a pretty serious build over there :)

One question before I give you my 2 cents on this: what will you be doing with this?

1)  I'd go for the AX860i PSU - it's alway better to have a more powerful, higher certified one for better electricity handling, more security against power failures, better during OC and it can last you through more builds in the future. Either should work for you, though.

2) Concerning the memory, I'd go with 2x8GB and later upgrade with 2 more (32GB total), if you think you'll need the amount. With the Sandy Bridge now, the latency has become the second most important thing while frequency has become the bigger factor. There shouldn't be that big of a difference between these 5 frequencies for mainstream usage. If you are going for benchmarking or some really heavy stuff (rendering, editing, server) - higher would be better (again - it depends on what you are using this for).

3) The EVO should be more than fine since it's one of the fastest according tom any people here in LinusTechTips. Since you are reusing older drives from previous builds, I would recomend running a check on all of them to make sure they are all good to go and it's safe to put data on them. A good tool for that is WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic (I've put a link at the bottom) or just run chkdsk. This is just to doublecheck that they are reliable.

4) As @Deletive pointed out, you might need to reinstall your entire OS (drivers for sure) go get everything going smoothly and properly. 

As a whole - really great and powerful build :)

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there,

You've got a pretty serious build over there :)
One question before I give you my 2 cents on this: what will you be doing with this?
1)  I'd go for the AX860i PSU - it's alway better to have a more powerful, higher certified one for better electricity handling, more security against power failures, better during OC and it can last you through more builds in the future. Either should work for you, though.
2) Concerning the memory, I'd go with 2x8GB and later upgrade with 2 more (32GB total), if you think you'll need the amount. With the Sandy Bridge now, the latency has become the second most important thing while frequency has become the bigger factor. There shouldn't be that big of a difference between these 5 frequencies for mainstream usage. If you are going for benchmarking or some really heavy stuff (rendering, editing, server) - higher would be better (again - it depends on what you are using this for).
3) The EVO should be more than fine since it's one of the fastest according tom any people here in LinusTechTips. Since you are reusing older drives from previous builds, I would recomend running a check on all of them to make sure they are all good to go and it's safe to put data on them. A good tool for that is WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic (I've put a link at the bottom) or just run chkdsk. This is just to doublecheck that they are reliable.
4) As @Deletive pointed out, you might need to reinstall your entire OS (drivers for sure) go get everything going smoothly and properly. 

As a whole - really great and powerful build :)

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

Thank you Captain_WD for your info.

This machine will mostly be used for gaming, music production and some video & photo work. I think i'm going to go with the AX860i after your advice and I like the integration with Corsair Link as well.

As for the RAM it seems that there aren't many kits that are 2x8GB out there. I was looking at the G Skill ($375) & Corsair ($550) as well and both manufacturers don't have a 2x8 kit. I've been using Corsair memory for a long time now and am considering moving over to G.Skill. The price difference between G.Skill and Corsair DDRr-2800 is close to $200. How much of a difference is there between these two for almost $200 more? After reading some more during this post I realized that I was looking at the Corsair Dominator Platinum memory....whereas the Vengeance LPX is much closer to G.Skill's price at $399. So I guess the question should be what's the difference between Corsair's Dominator Platinum and Vengeance LPX performance wise?

Thank you Captain_WD for your info.

This machine will mostly be used for gaming, music production and some video & photo work. I think i'm going to go with the AX860i after your advice and I like the integration with Corsair Link as well.

As for the RAM it seems that there aren't many kits that are 2x8GB out there. I was looking at the G Skill ($375) & Corsair ($550) as well and both manufacturers don't have a 2x8 kit. I've been using Corsair memory for a long time now and am considering moving over to G.Skill. The price difference between G.Skill and Corsair DDRr-2800 is close to $200. How much of a difference is there between these two for almost $200 more? After reading some more during this post I realized that I was looking at the Corsair Dominator Platinum memory....whereas the Vengeance LPX is much closer to G.Skill's price at $399. So I guess the question should be what's the difference between Corsair's Dominator Platinum and Vengeance LPX performance wise?

Hey again :)

I haven't used any of those to give you my personal experience. Probably some of the guys here on the forum have and could help you out.
I would say depending on the exact models you are comparing, you could check the differences between the frequency, latency, voltage, dual/quad channel compatibility, overclocking capabilities and overall performance on their website or somewhere else on the internet. There should be plenty of data available. Also, you could post a thread on the CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory section to see if anyone has some more info.

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/