Samsung to build own mobile GPU

Notional

According to Fudzilla, Samsung has been developing its own mobile GPU for a while.

Apparently, this strategy has been devised to eliminate extra licensing fees and buying third party hardware.

We have confirmation from several Silicon Valley based companies and insiders that Samsung's GPU development has been going for a few years. Bear in mind that you need at least two years to design a chip, and if this is the first time you are doing it, you probably need more.

When a marketable product is ready, has yet to be disclosed.

samsungexynos.jpg

My personal take:

With Samsungs recent cooperation with Global Foundries, to bring 14nm Finfet nodes into production, later this year, this seems to be a good starting point, for the production of these new Samsung GPU chips, although it is not certain, if Samsungs new GPU's will be 14 nm.

It makes sense for a large conglomerate like Samsung, to venture into this area in a cost/benefit strategy to further reduce costs on their mobile division. The big loser in this shift, could be Nvidia, as this new product will compete directly with the Tegra chip, at least in the long run (tablets, in car entertainment, etc.).

Sources:

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/35744-samsung-is-building-a-gpu Samsung builds a GPU

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/181136-samsung-and-globalfoundries-buddy-up-for-14nm-while-ibm-heads-for-the-exit Samsung/global Foundries 14nm Finfet

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

this can't go well 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

It's about time. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

This should be fun :)

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

yeah it will compete directly with Nvidia ........... and qualcomm and ARM and imagination

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Is this an admittance from Samsung and Qualcomm that they've been stealing Nvidia's GPU technology, so now they have to build there own?

Only time will tell.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

If it means cheaper Galaxy series mobile phones then I am all in!

If the Galaxy series was made cheaper, where exactly would the R&D costs for designing this new chip be allocated to?

We finally see Samsung phones using Samsung chips...

off topic but i was about 1nm from using that as my emblem when i saw that scene, but decided to use my typical one (<---- that one), it looks even better than i thought it would, i regret not doing it.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

talking about mobile GPU's for laptops n stuff, samsung already make chips for mobile devices

They make Exynos SoCs but they don't really design them. They do higher level design but the actual design of the cores within the SoC (the CPU, GPU, Video Encode/Decode etc) are all designs from elsewhere. This is the first time Samsung will have their own design in their SoCs.

yeah it will compete directly with Nvidia ........... and qualcomm and ARM and imagination

well they are still using ARM architecture so...

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

This can go well!

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

he was specifically talking about the GPU

and it was odd that he just choose nvidia as a competitor since qualcomm is everywhere

and ive rarely seen Nvidia in anything

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This means affordable Samsung flagship phones for everyone?

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Yes, but they have been using ARM Mali GPUs in their SoCs quite regularly up until now...

Assuming this is for their own needs I wouldn't say this was competing with anyone, to be honest. Exynos is Samsung's own SoC for their own devices, they don't generally sell it to anybody else and I don't see why they would license out their new GPU for similar reasons... ARM and IMG might be losing custom (because Samsung uses their GPU IP in their Exynos chips at the moment) but this is not competition.

I'd like to see them try to compete with tegra k1 in graphics performance.... Something tells me they will fail.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I'd like to see them try to compete with tegra k1 in graphics performance.... Something tells me they will fail.

What makes you say they will fail at that? Both Qualcomm and Imagination can trade blows with Nvidia so I think Samsung stands a pretty good chance.

They make Exynos SoCs but they don't really design them. They do higher level design but the actual design of the cores within the SoC (the CPU, GPU, Video Encode/Decode etc) are all designs from elsewhere. This is the first time Samsung will have their own design in their SoCs.

They have made some designs on their own in Exynos. For example they had their "Samsung Reprogrammable Processor" which they used for things like audio stuff, I think they designed the LTE modem in the ModAP themselves as well (and also some other modems). I am not sure, but they might also have made some ISPs for SoCs too.

I am sure about the SRP being custom and them having 2G/3G/HSPA+ modems, but not 100% sure about the other stuff.

So it's not like they just take puzzle pieces and fit them together (and even that can be hard). I am excited to see how their first attempt turns out.

On a side note, it's confirmed that the Exynos 5433 is a quad core Cortex A53 + quad core Cortex A57. However it won't support 64bit (or AArch64) for some reason. I am really looking forward to those tests.

What makes you say they will fail at that? Both Qualcomm and Imagination can trade blows with Nvidia so I think Samsung stands a pretty good chance.

They have made some designs on their own in Exynos. For example they had their "Samsung Reprogrammable Processor" which they used for things like audio stuff, I think they designed the LTE modem in the ModAP themselves as well (and also some other modems). I am not sure, but they might also have made some ISPs for SoCs too.

I am sure about the SRP being custom and them having 2G/3G/HSPA+ modems, but not 100% sure about the other stuff.

So it's not like they just take puzzle pieces and fit them together (and even that can be hard). I am excited to see how their first attempt turns out.

On a side note, it's confirmed that the Exynos 5433 is a quad core Cortex A53 + quad core Cortex A57. However it won't support 64bit (or AArch64) for some reason. I am really looking forward to those tests.

Well, it is their first time designing something as significant as the GPU, at least. :P

I don't know where their Video core comes from... that'd be interesting. It is possibly their own, I guess.

talking about mobile GPU's for laptops n stuff, samsung already make chips for mobile devices

Samsung GPU in a laptop after the pretty damning evidence came out regarding stealing Nvidia's designs?! Never going to happen. Even Intel has a vested interest keeping the titanic force that is Samsung out of their back yard. I imagine Intel is now saying "Nvidia, you can borrow our legal team if you let us use your tessellation engine in our iGPUs. Hell maybe we'll throw in x86 usage rights since we're feeling generous."

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well, it is their first time designing something as significant as the GPU, at least. :P

I don't know where their Video core comes from... that'd be interesting. It is possibly their own, I guess.

Yeah it's a pretty big step for them. I am surprised they didn't start with a CPU. For some reason I think starting out by modifying let's say a Cortex A57 would have been easier than building a GPU.

I have 0 knowledge about CPU or GPU design though so maybe I am completely wrong about that.

Yeah it's a pretty big step for them. I am surprised they didn't start with a CPU. For some reason I think starting out by modifying let's say a Cortex A57 would have been easier than building a GPU.

I have 0 knowledge about CPU or GPU design though so maybe I am completely wrong about that.

CPUs are more difficult. There's a lot of control/pipeline logic you have to implement, and by definition GPUs suck at serial computing. GPUs are simpler to design.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No wonder they been hiring a lot of engineers at their Silicon Valley headquarters.