Kingston HyperX Cloud Headset Full Review (Updated Pictures!)

I’ve noticed a lot of people have been asking about the HyperX Cloud headset by Kingston, and I’ve decided to write a full review for it. Testing was done with IBIubbleTea.

NOTES:

• 36 Hour Burn in Time.
• Used “Headphones” option without Virtual Surround for Imaging testing
• Used on-board motherboard audio (No external Amp/DAC) 

They're advertised to have LEATHERETTE Pads, not Genuine Leather. This is a mistake on Linus' part I believe.

Pictures (Updated Pictures!)

The last picture is my favorite.  :)

SVKIuk3.jpgSFthONH.jpg

V2O1yIu.jpgBUlDnUc.jpgKlL7hXv.jpgHY7gB22.jpg

Included in the Box:

•  HyperX Cloud headset
•  Detachable microphone
•  Microphone Cap
•  Pair of Synthetic Leather and Velour Pads.
•  Control box with 1m cable (3.5mm Jack)
•  Extension cable (2m)
•  Headset splitter cable (10cm)
•  Airplane headphone adapter [WHO CARES]
•  Mesh Carrying bag

Specifications (For those who care)

Headphones:

•  Transducer type: dynamic Ø 53mm
•  Operating principle: closed
•  Frequency response: 15Hz–25,000 Hz
•  Nominal impedance: 60 Ω per system
•  Nominal SPL: 98±3dB
•  T.H.D.: < 2%
•  Power handling capacity: 150mW
•  Sound coupling to the ear: circumaural
•  Ambient noise attenuation: approx. 20 dBa
•  Headband pressure: 5N
•  Weight with microphone and cable: 350g
•  Cable length and type: 1m + 2m extension + 10cm iPhone
•  Connection: mini stereo jack plug (3.5 mm)

Microphone:

•  Transducer type: condenser (back electret)
•  Operating principle: pressure gradient
•  Polar pattern: cardioid
•  Power supply: AB powering
•  Supply voltage: 2V
•  Current consumption: max 0.5 mA
•  Nominal impedance: ≤2.2 kΩ
•  Open circuit voltage at f = 1 kHz: 20 mV / Pa
•  Frequency response: 100–12,000 Hz
•  THD: 2% at f = 1 kHz
•  Max. SPL: 105dB SPL (THD≤1.0% at 1 KHz)
•  Microphone output: -39±3dB
•  Length mic boom: 150mm (including gooseneck)
•  Capsule diameter: Ø6*5 mm
•  Connection: mini stereo jack plug (3.5mm)

Build Quality

The build quality of the Cloud’s are excellent. They’re on par with the DT770/880/990’s as expected, and easily trumps most other offerings in its price range.
It uses high quality plastics coated with a soft touch layer and has an aluminum headband. The cable is braided and is of high quality, I wouldn’t worry about this degrading over time.

Comfort

Overall, They’re quite a comfortable headset. the padding on the headband is thick and soft enough to not bother me and has a very good amount of clamping force. The synthetic leather earpads are plush and thick enough to prevent your ears from coming in contact with the drivers. A pair of velour pads are also included, but feel of a lower quality. They’re still just as comfortable, possibly more comfortable, and reduce noise isolation significantly. (Might be your Personal preference)

Sound (Highs, Mids, Lows, Soundstage and Imaging)

The sound signature of this headset leans towards a warmer side of neutral as well as forward highs, giving them a V-Shaped sound signature.

There is definitely an emphasis on the low end of the spectrum. The bass is surprisingly tight, has very low distortion, if any, and still manages to not drown out the mid tones
The bass is also well extended and has a very well controlled, articulate and authoritative sound

The high’s are predominant and sound a bit forward. They aren’t harsh and I was able to listen to them for hours on end without fatigue.
They have a very smooth sound, without congestion, but doesn’t have much of a “crunch” (Sorry can’t think of a better term)

The Mids are well detailed and lush, sound somewhat recessed, but besides that aren’t too special in any way.

I was quite impressed by the soundstage, considering the closed back. I’d say on par with the HD518s, though not as “Airy”.

The imaging wasn’t anything special, but wasn’t bad. Here are the results from my testing.

QMoKrE9.jpg?1

(All Testing done in Battlefield 3)
I would prone in the middle of field, my friend would shoot his gun, then I would guess his position and distance.  We did the same with footsteps and jumping.
I usually use my ATH-AD900x headphones for gaming, and I definitely will not be replacing them.

Notes about gaming performance:

Footsteps sounded distinct and were very audible.
Explosions and gun shots are very satisfying.
I personally don’t think the imaging is of enough calibre to use in “Competitive FPS’” (Which is what I play)

Microphone Test

The microphone is very mediocre, but I guess it gets the job done for talking to friends and such. The link contains a microphone test for the HyperX Cloud headset and an AT4040 Condenser

Conclusion

As a whole, the Kingston HyperX Cloud headset is a very compelling offer. Overall, I’m more than satisfied with my purchase, and would have paid more. In its price range and category, the sound quality can’t be touched. I can’t think of a single headset that sounds as good or better than these for ~$80. (Except QPAD-QH-90 which are the same) The build quality and design is excellent,  as well as the aesthetic appeal. The only disappointment is the microphone. If they ever release a high quality detachable mic I’ll be sure to purchase one and update the review.

Fun facts

The HyperX Cloud is just a rebrand of the Qpad QH-90.

(Will add more when we think of them LOL)

Qpad is scandinavian. I'm so proud :-)

Great review, i especialy like the diagram about position accuracy. I always recommend this headset to people who wont buy headphones, but doesn't have the bugdet for Sennehiser, Beyerdynamic or Qpad

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I love this headset, especially since I got it for $50. I do wish the mic quality was better though...

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Qpad is scandinavian. I'm so proud :-)

Great review, i especialy like the diagram about position accuracy. I always recommend this headset to people who wont buy headphones, but doesn't have the bugdet for Sennehiser, Beyerdynamic or Qpad

I fixed up the Diagram a bit, made it smaller and forgot to add distance before. 

I would really like to see a review of the Plantronic Rig. I have seen some really good reviews on it, even some audioheads seem to like it.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Just got the HyperX Cloud Pro Gaming headset, but damn, I can straight up tell that music is way.....waaaaaay better than on that POS Black Shark (which cost about the same as the HyperX Cloud, last time I check that is, will have to recheck the current price of the Black Shark). Like BoltAction had said, there is some emphasis on the bass side, but it is tight and doesn't overwhelms mids and highs. Even trying this headset for a few minutes, listening to some tracks of Cher's Greatest hits, I can say this headset is much more 'musical' than those craptastice gaming headsets I've tried before. Can't wait for it to 'burn in' and 'see' if it sounds warmer.

A pic of my purchases...

20140910_163008_zps68166266.jpg

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I love mine, great for the price.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

uuuuuuhhhhhhhhh, I realllllyy want one soooo bad

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

uuuuuuhhhhhhhhh, I realllllyy want one soooo bad

I'm really surprised at how good it handles games (just tried UT3 on it) and music. For games, it has pretty deep bass but when I play music, bass is tighter, not loose and all over the place like the Black Shark. Is it not available yet down under?

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I'm really surprised at how good it handles games (just tried UT3 on it) and music. For games, it has pretty deep bass but when I play music, bass is tighter, not loose and all over the place like the Black Shark. Is it not available yet down under?

It is available down here but I just don't have enough money, I am waiting for my mum to pay me for my work. My Razer Hammerhead pros died and I am using the mic from them (it still work for some reason) and the CRAPPY speakers from my monitor

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

I've owned these for awhile now and am happy with them. The low loud bass in games seems to have worn off some, which is fine.
The only problem I've had with them is that they're too comfortable. Just got back from the ER because of a not so awesome ear infection that I've got in both ears, that was brought on by extended use of closed over ear headphones. I use the headset to listen to lectures, YT, News, music and game while turning off the otherwise all too noisey outside world.

I can now only recommend open earphones in good faith. Because they've airflow which should prevent similar ear infections in others. This is the first time in my life getting an ear infection and I now feel a swell of pity for those that have chronic swimmers ear.

Anyways, just thought that it should be something people should be aware of and consider when buying any closed over ear headgear, cause finding out the hard way has been quite the shity ordeal.

Painful regards, MoonSpot

Just got the HyperX Cloud Pro Gaming headset, but damn, I can straight up tell that music is way.....waaaaaay better than on that POS Black Shark (which cost about the same as the HyperX Cloud, last time I check that is, will have to recheck the current price of the Black Shark). Like BoltAction had said, there is some emphasis on the bass side, but it is tight and doesn't overwhelms mids and highs. Even trying this headset for a few minutes, listening to some tracks of Cher's Greatest hits, I can say this headset is much more 'musical' than those craptastice gaming headsets I've tried before. Can't wait for it to 'burn in' and 'see' if it sounds warmer.

A pic of my purchases...

I love mine, great for the price.

I'm glad you are both content with your purchases! I just realized I didn't follow my review, so I didn't notice these replies till now haha. 

In your list of features you note that the leather is synthetic but in Linus's new video he says they are genuine leather. Was this a mistake on his part or yours?

In your list of features you note that the leather is synthetic but in Linus's new video he says they are genuine leather. Was this a mistake on his part or yours?

Edit: actually, I think Linus was wrong... I changed it back. Kingston advertises them as leatherette.

Good review

Very informational

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

This headset was on sale at NCIX.com a few weeks back for 50 bucks (10 dollar shipping) I can personally attest to their awesomesauceness.

Hey BAW, if you don't me calling you that, did you try the headset with the supplied velour pads? I don't know if I'd imagined it, but the bass seems a tad less thumping, and mids (and perhaps highs) seem to stand out a little more. I can't decide if I'd imagined it though, could using different pads actually affect sound? :unsure: Meanwhile, I'm mentally masturbating over whether to get a decent soundcard for the system I'm using the headset on...perhaps an Asus Phoebus Solo or a SB Zx.

Hey BAW, if you don't me calling you that, did you try the headset with the supplied velour pads? I don't know if I'd imagined it, but the bass seems a tad less thumping, and mids (and perhaps highs) seem to stand out a little more. I can't decide if I'd imagined it though, could using different pads actually affect sound? :unsure: Meanwhile, I'm mentally masturbating over whether to get a decent soundcard for the system I'm using the headset on...perhaps an Asus Phoebus Solo or a SB Zx.

I didn't extensively test the Clouds with the Velour pads, because I believed most people would use the leather, but you're probably not hallucinating. Velour pads compared to leather pads tend to lighten up the low end, which could possibly bring out the highs and mids a bit. I can do some extensive testing if you would like, though I probably won't be done until the at least the next day. But yes, different ear padding definitely effects the sound signature and sometimes the quality of a pair of headphones. 

linus review says that the earcups are made of genuine leather but on the kingston website is wrotte: leatherette-padded 

Leatherette (Textiles) an imitation leather made from paper, cloth, etc.

seems that it is not genuine leather correct me if i am wrong!  :)

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

What is the size of the cups?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

linus review says that the earcups are made of genuine leather but on the kingston website is wrotte: leatherette-padded

Leatherette(Textiles) an imitation leather made from paper, cloth, etc.

seems that it is not genuine leather correct me if i am wrong! :)
This was my original belief. But people are going to constantly ask about the leather probably, so I'll just leave it.

Edit: nvm, I'll change it. Going to add a note saying I believe linus was incorrent. Thanks for the help bud! 

What is the size of the cups?

Just measured the Cups, then the forums go down haha. 

I measured: 

Length - Outer Earcup - 89mm

Length - Inner Earcup - 38mm

Height - Outer Earcup - 114mm

Height - Inner Earcup - 70mm

Just measured the Cups, then the forums go down haha. 

I measured: 

Length - Outer Earcup - 89mm

Length - Inner Earcup - 38mm

Height - Outer Earcup - 114mm

Height - Inner Earcup - 70mm

I KNOW RIGHT! Almost cried because I actually had to work for a bit...

The cups are not HUGE but they would probably fit my mutant ears... thank you!

Definitely add it to the main post :)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

How well would these perform in CSGO? I currently have the HD558's but the low cost of these intrigue me to getting a second pair of heaphones/headset

Across the vast and majestic gulf of time and space, the jimmies rustle softly.