Audio Technica ATH-AD900x Headphone Full Review (Updated Pictures!)

Hello users of LTT forums, I’ve owned the AD900Xs for over a month now and I’m ready to write a full review.

NOTES

• 36 Hour Burn in Time using playlist consisting of varying genres.

• Used “Headphones” option without Virtual Surround for Imaging testing

• Used Mayflower O2 + ODAC Amp/DAC Combo for all Testing.

• Paid $200 CAD

PICTURES (Updated Pictures!)

The 6th one in "Updated Pictures" is my favorite.  :)

vPv3NkV.jpgToYl1oC.jpgGCaHW3X.jpgItK18mC.jpg4iSxgdD.jpg

[spoiler=Updated Pictures]aWDpvfl.jpgusW2IpK.jpgRu9QtoH.jpgPXA2hYK.jpg2bdOU7I.jpgeY8OWm4.jpgujcv5kN.jpgBdgTocn.jpgf7E4ilJ.jpgMiR7oUH.jpg

Included in the Box:

• ATH-AD900X Headphones

• ⅛” to ¼” (3.5mm/6.5mm) Headphone Jack

• Yeah… That’s really it! LOL.

Specifications (For those who care)

Type

Open-air Dynamic

Driver Diameter

53 mm

Frequency Response

5 – 35,000 Hz

Maximum Input Power

1,000 mW

Sensitivity

100 dB/mW

Impedance

38 ohms

Weight

265 g

Cable

3.0 m (9.8')

Connector

3.5 mm(1/8") mini stereo, gold-plated

* This was taken from Audio Technica’s website.

Build Quality and Design

The AD900x is built and designed beautifully. Audio Technica has used high quality plastics and aluminum (I believe) for the honey comb grill. The cable isn’t braided, but still feels of high quality and I don’t think most people will have any issues with it.  The ¼” jack feels nice as well as the adapter, though I dislike the fact that the adapter easily falls off when removing them because of the lack of a locking mechanism. Originally, I was a bit worried that the 3D-Wing design used instead of the headband would not fit my head, which wasn’t the case completely. They fit, but feel a tad too loose, so I decided to use one rubber band to tighten up the wings, as shown in the photos above, which really helped. I really like the aesthetic of these headphones and the Audio Technica branding on the side looks very nice.

Comfort

For me, these headphones are extremely comfortable. I think the 3D-Wing design works very well and the ear pads are very nice and plush, while also having a firmness to them. It has a good amount of clamping force especially after adding the elastic band. The Ear pads are also replaceable which is a nice touch.

Sound (Highs, Mids, Lows, Soundstage and Imaging)

The sound signature of this headphone is definitely bright and “sparkly”. They sound very airy and transparent, with very good clarity throughout the spectrum.

Highs - The Treble or highs on these are incredible. They sound “sparkly”, have a beautifully well extended treble, spectacular clarity and airy sound that sounds nothing short of amazing.

Mids - The Mids also have fantastic clarity, sound airy and produce a very atmospheric sound. These excell in the upper mids when listening to stringed instruments, and have some of the best sounding female vocals I’ve heard. 

Lows - The lows are well extended and distinct. They sound reasonable deep, but don’t have emphasis which causes them to have fantastic clarity, as stated before, but might not particularly engaging and deep as some people would like

I’ve noticed that when listening to Electronic music, they sound great, but can cause ear fatigue because of how aggressive most Electronic genres are, such as Dubstep, Electro etc.

The AD900Xs have a very large soundstage, kind of artificially large.

For gaming, the imaging for very good. In BF3, I was able to locate the position of enemies easily just with audio ques.

(All Testing done in Battlefield 3 w/ IBIubbleTea)

I would prone in the middle of field, my friend would shoot his gun, then I would guess his position and distance. We did the same with footsteps and jumping.

Conclusion

Overall, I’m very content with my purchase. ($200 CAD) They’re one of the best headphones I’ve used for gaming, I can’t say they’re THE best, but are definitely at the top of my list. I really like the sound signature, which makes it one of my favorite headphones to use for music in the price range, but this price bracket is VERY Competitive. They are built and designed fantastically and are very comfortable. I recommend these headphones to anybody who wants a brighter sounding headphones with an expansive soundstage and imaging for both music and gaming.

I don't like using numbers to rate products, but I guess I give this 10 fluffy bunnies out of 10? honestly who cares, just READ my Review. 

Links:

Amazon.com

I was really thinking about getting a pair of the Audio Technica ATH-900s but with closed back design... your review has left me with a good opinion of the headphones. I assume that the 3D-Wing design will not bother me at all and I really hope that having a closed back design gives off a little more intense lows.

I own the AT ATH-M50s right now and they absolutely sound fantastic, but the lows are not exactly where I would like them to be. The Shure SRH440s however have really nice lows and superb mids. (Had a nice listening session from a friend who owns a pair). I was thinking of getting a pair of monitors from Shure but on all the reviews on their devices I keep hearing that they have shoddy build quality. I am willing to spend around 200 although for my next pair so I am just researching for now.

Great review and thanks for the insight.

I was really thinking about getting a pair of the Audio Technica ATH-900s but with closed back design... your review has left me with a good opinion of the headphones. I assume that the 3D-Wing design will not bother me at all and I really hope that having a closed back design gives off a little more intense lows.

I own the AT ATH-M50s right now and they absolutely sound fantastic, but the lows are not exactly where I would like them to be. The Shure SRH440s however have really nice lows and superb mids. (Had a nice listening session from a friend who owns a pair). I was thinking of getting a pair of monitors from Shure but on all the reviews on their devices I keep hearing that they have shoddy build quality. I am willing to spend around 200 although for my next pair so I am just researching for now.

Great review and thanks for the insight.

Glad you liked my review, unfortunately I have yet to try any closed back versions of their A series of headphones so I can't give you insight on how they would perform.

AKG Q701 vs Ad900x for imaging plz. And HD800 if you can afford it.

I don't own the Q701's but a friend bought a pair from the last massdrop, so I'll be able to test them out. I already own the HD800s, so maybe I should make a comparison thread between the AD900x, HD800, Q701s and HD598s? 

I absolutely love them myself. Nice review, btw.

The only gripe I have with them is the 3D wing design, they slid off my head all the time. I simply used some black thread (instead of the well known rubberband method) and now they fit without a problem, they still look good and they're very comfortable. The artificially large soundstage is also something I noticed, they tend to have a very faint echo sometimes (it's not distracting and you don't really notice it, but it seems like they took the soundstage a bit too far). The bass is surprisingly punchy and very accurate, many people have reported that they have "no bass", which is not true at all. They bass is just not as emphasized as the highs and mids so it doesn't sound as pronouned in comparison. I absolutely love them for Jazz/Swing, classical music and rock/metal. Electronic music, while it definitely sounds fine, is not the strongest side of these headphones though. The sound signature just doesn't fit most electronic music IMO, but if you're looking for a pair of open back headphones you probably knew that anyway.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I actually forgot about the term "accurate" which fits quite well in the case. :)

@OP

congrats!   got the same cans, $155 shipped from japan.  Your review is very accurate.  However for my next upgrade, I was considering either the Audio Technica w1000x or the Hi-Fi man He-500's.   I was able to test the w1000x at my local Magnolia which by the way  sounded  fantastic even better than AD900X.  The soundstage is amazing for Closed cans and the comfort/build quality is superb.

Unfortunately, these cans are on the pricy side.   :(

Audio Technica W1000X

o0520034510476571257.jpg

Hi-Fi Man He-500

he-500.jpg

@OP

congrats! got the same cans, $155 shipped from japan. Your review is very accurate. For my next upgrade, I was considering either the Audio Technica w1000x or the Hi-Fi man He-500's I was able to test the w1000x at my local Magnolia which sounded fantastic even better than AD900X. The soundstage is amazing for Closed cans and the comfort/build quality is superb.

You should definitely consider getting the he400i instead of the he-500 possibly. I love my he-560s an I've heard the he-400i competes with the he-500s very well. Even if they don't sound as "good", the improved design and comfort is 100% worth it, not the mention they're $100 cheaper. :wub:

I just read a review for it and the 400i suffers from many sound signatures I don't like.  The 500 is still quite a bit superior.

AKG Q701 vs Ad900x for imaging plz. And HD800 if you can afford it.

if you want great imaging and natural open soundstage, the beyer T1 is the best. HD800 is too artificial.

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

if you want great imaging and natural open soundstage, the beyer T1 is the best. HD800 is too artificial.

You've used both of them? Saying that kind of makes the HD800s look bad :P

EDIT: if you haven't tried them yourself, don't believe what everybody says on the internet, obviously. I haven't listened to the T1s yet, but I wouldn't say the HD800's soundstage and imaging is "artificial".

Blasssphheeeeemousssss.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Blasssphheeeeemousssss.

You've used both of them? Saying that kind of makes the HD800s look bad :P

EDIT: if you haven't tried them yourself, don't believe what everybody says on the internet, obviously. I haven't listened to the T1s yet, but I wouldn't say the HD800's soundstage and imaging is "artificial".

i've tried them both lol

in terms of sheer raw sound quality, yes HD800 beats the T1, but the soundstage is really weird, its so large, its artificial. heck my DT880 beats HD800 in terms of 'naturalness'.

but that doesn't mean T1 doesn't have it flaws. imo it has off sounding treble ,while HD800 has off sounding bass.

i've tried them both lol

in terms of sheer raw sound quality, yes HD800 beats the T1, but the soundstage is really weird, its so large, its artificial. heck my DT880 beats HD800 in terms of 'naturalness'.

but that doesn't mean T1 doesn't have it flaws. imo it has off sounding treble ,while HD800 has off sounding bass.

Audio is so subjective lol. some people here say the HD800's treble is off. :P

Since I haven't taken a listen to the T1s yet, I can't really say you're wrong haha. 

I personally find the HD800's to sound "boring" persay, but it's just my personal preference. 

i've tried them both lol

HD800 is love.

HD800 is life.

HD800 is The Way.

Repent for your sins while you still can!

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Audio is so subjective lol. some people here say the HD800's treble is off. :P

Since I haven't taken a listen to the T1s yet, I can't really say you're wrong haha. 

I personally find the HD800's to sound "boring" persay, but it's just my personal preference. 

HD800 treble isn't off, its distant.

what is love.

what is life.

i dont know The Way.

im a HD800 fanboy!

fixed

imo just change  DAC/amp if you're really curious about it, though i've read somewhere that people prefer a well driven mid range headphone rather than weird sounding high end (including me).

HD800 treble isn't off, its distant.

fixed

imo just change DAC/amp if you're really curious about it, though i've read somewhere that people prefer a well driven mid range headphone rather than weird sounding high end (including me).

I appreciate the input, but I'd like to get back on topic now. Don't want the replies to all be about this. :P