Will DDR4 ram be needed in a couple of years?

I know predicting the future isn't possible but would like to hear oppinions.

My nephew (11) has been promised by me and my sister that when he is 13, I will build a gaming PC with him, for him.

I think in 2016 DDR4 ram will probably still be pricey, but don't know if it will be necessary to be up to speed with the mid-high range of gaming PC's.

I guess it really depends on how ram intensive the games of the future will be and how much of a standard it will be among hardware of the time.

But again, I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject, and think its interesting to think about.

By 2016 I would think you'd be fine. Would you buy DDR2 now?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I think Intel's next major CPU upgrade (Broadwell) will bring DDR4 support. I am not sure of this, and there is probably evidence that proves me wrong, but I have the feeling that they will add DDR4 compatibility with backwards compatibility to DDR3 on Z97 motherboards only.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

By 2016 I would think you'd be fine. Would you buy DDR2 now?

He'll no! But I know a few people who do. I cry for their souls.

I think Intel's next major CPU upgrade (Broadwell) will bring DDR4 support. I am not sure of this, and there is probably evidence that proves me wrong, but I have the feeling that they will add DDR4 compatibility with backwards compatibility to DDR3 on Z97 motherboards only.

12th september new motherboards that support only DDR4 are getting released for the upcoming 5th generation intel's cpu (i7 5820k, i7 5930k and i7 5960X).

I think that by the time something like a i7 5770k (or 5870k since it's using 2011-3?) gets released, DDR4 will be worth it.

To be fair, for day to day tasks you likely wont see a difference between DDR2 and DDR3.

As for DDR4. Right now things like games and similar applications are only barely using the memory bandwidth we have now. I expect to see DDR4 make its way into server systems first, then workstations (because high end video editing does make good use of massive ram bandwidth) and then down to consumers. Might see laptop DDR4 sooner than desktop since its more energy efficient. 

Just my speculation. I have 4 sticks of DDR3-1600 in a quad channel setup and it isn't bottle necking even the most demanding of games. I do see a bit of problems doing heavy duty 3D renders and large video edits though. Should probably get some DDR3-2400 and be good for a long while. 

12th september new motherboards that support only DDR4 are getting released for the upcoming 5th generation intel's cpu (i7 5820k, i7 5930k and i7 5960X).

I think that by the time something like a i7 5770k (or 5870k since it's using 2011-3?) gets released, DDR4 will be worth it.

He's talking about Broadwell which yes, will be the 5770k and will be on LGA 115x, not LGA 2011. Whether it will support DDR4 or not isn't known, but it'll almost certainly be dual-channel at any rate.

5870K (or 5790k more likely) will be Skylake following Broadwell.

To be fair, for day to day tasks you likely wont see a difference between DDR2 and DDR3.

As for DDR4. Right now things like games and similar applications are only barely using the memory bandwidth we have now. I expect to see DDR4 make its way into server systems first, then workstations (because high end video editing does make good use of massive ram bandwidth) and then down to consumers. Might see laptop DDR4 sooner than desktop since its more energy efficient. 

Just my speculation. I have 4 sticks of DDR3-1600 in a quad channel setup and it isn't bottle necking even the most demanding of games. I do see a bit of problems doing heavy duty 3D renders and large video edits though. Should probably get some DDR3-2400 and be good for a long while. 

DDR4 is already in server systems, Haswell-E represents its move into workstations. I can't see it being relevant in the desktop for a long while yet though, since as you say the majority of applications don't even come close to using the memory bandwidth they have available as it is.