Using an Asus X99 Motherboard will maybe lose the Warranty of your CPU

Mystorius_
Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

Okidoki, to (help) keep this from causing more confusion, I'm

consolidating these two posts and marking them as best answer

for thread so that people can easily see.

Thread will be left open though in case people want to discuss

more.

The rumor is false :)

1)      At stock speeds the special sauce is not active – so people that don’t want to use it don’t have to worry.

2)      When overclocked, the things we are doing still fall under the banner of overclocking. Nothing changes and any Intel protection plan would still be honored as usual overclocking.

3) We have been using similar tricks via other methods for years on our boards. Here we used it via socket pads as it made sense for some of the things we found.

I think its more the fact that you should never buy a platform at release, like that one acouple of years back with ram problems?

I have had warranty claims with asus, yes it was slow but what you expect with such a huge company. but the communications and result was great.

always teething issues with releases, give it a month or so and it will see if this socket is worth it or not

what can i expect from a huge company, let me give some example of how bigger companies reacted, palit rma-4 days, dell rma-same day or next day, pny(hp) 5 days. once initial release problems are solved( i give it two months unless more information appears) the company should be able to get their products to meet their standards, many companies that bigger then asus handle rma with no problem so to be honest there is no excuse, anything under two weeks is fine in my opinion, over a month for an rma is crazy

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

1)      At stock speeds the special sauce is not active – so people that don’t want to use it don’t have to worry.

2)      When overclocked, the things we are doing still fall under the banner of overclocking. Nothing changes and any Intel protection plan would still be honored as usual overclocking.

3) We have been using similar tricks via other methods for years on our boards. Here we used it via socket pads as it made sense for some of the things we found.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Intel will still cover CPUs used in Asus's custom socket, which is exactly the same way it covers CPUs used with custom VRM, or custom topology.

Sourced from kitguru.net.  Not sure why I can't insert the hyperlink or paste it in as plain text though.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

What benefits does the modified socket provide?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Did you also know that if you use any cooler other than the stock CPU cooler that comes in the box, it will void your warranty on the CPU? (You can find that information in the manual.)

The thing is Intel/AMD have no way of proving that so it doesn't really matter.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

http://www.legitreviews.com/asus-shows-special-intel-lga2011-3-socket-cpu-pins_149876

ASUS went with a unique patent-pending OC Socket that has extra pins for extra performance.

It appears that ASUS has added 39 additional pins and that this allows them to improve the stability and reliability of the Intel Haswell-E processors being used in the socket by virtually eliminating voltage drop (vDrop).

People need to realize, if you are overclocking, let it be using the XMP profile to get your RAM to 2400MHz, overclocking the CPU, whatever, you already run the risk of potentially damaging your system.
You are already running the CPU out of Intel's published specifications. Going out of the published specifications is never guaranteed a success -- overclocking is NOT 110% guaranteed.

You killed your i7-4790K because you attempted to make it run at 4.05GHz versus 5.2GHz. It's all the same.

You slap an aftermarket CPU cooler on it.
Water cool the system, yet have everything running at stock. You already run the risk.

I'm spending $5000+ on a X99 based PC. I don't want the CPU to die by using a ASUS "OC Socket" board....but I'm going to overclock the tits out of it and water cool it regardless....by using this Gigabyte X99 board.

I don't see how ASUS's "OC socket" is making it any worse.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

I really doubt this is true since if u look at Linus new video also technobuffalo got one too intel sent them the cpu, crucial memory and an Asus x99 deluxe mobo so if that is going to get rid of your warranty why the hell would intel send it?

Did you also know that if you use any cooler other than the stock CPU cooler that comes in the box, it will void your warranty on the CPU? (You can find that information in the manual.)

The thing is Intel/AMD have no way of proving that so it doesn't really matter.

............. So, the only way to run LGA 2011(-3) and keep the warranty is by not using a heatsink?

EDIT: I think you're confused about the language used. It says that the warranty covers the CPU and the heatsink together as one product, which simply means that if you RMA the CPU, you need to send the heatsink too.

EDIT2: Okay, it does say it in ridiculously roundabout ways that basically makes looking at it the wrong way void your warranty.

Okidoki, to (help) keep this from causing more confusion, I'm

consolidating these two posts and marking them as best answer

for thread so that people can easily see.

Thread will be left open though in case people want to discuss

more.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Greater voltage stability and a much higher ceiling for LN2 overclockers.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Welp, that puts that to bed. Thanks for the link to the article, sir or ma'am!

Your welcome and it's sir

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

But they burst into Flames :) http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=msi_x99_fail&num=1 not so good i guess 

But they burst into Flames :) http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=msi_x99_fail&num=1 not so good i guess 

You know that can happen to anyone he just had bad luck with the motherboard and it's a new platform

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ