After a day with The Crew (Beta)

JcGross

When they announced The Crew way back when I was really unimpressed. I am not at all a racing fan, I play Flatout or Dirt 3 occasionally but nothing more. So when I finally got a beta code for The Crew I went in with very low expectations. I heard all sorts of thing from the soundtrack being crap and the driving to feel bad.

At first I got what I expected. The driving felt awkward at first, the game ran at 30 with dipping below it even and it didn't look that great anyway. But I stuck with it. I soon got familiar with the driving to the point that I even enjoy it now. I tweaked the settings and found a way to get a stable 30FPS and it even looks pretty nice. The whole mission structure is pretty unforgiving but feels very rewarding to get a gold medal. The car customization is pretty good, I was happy that I got so much money to spend right at the beginning to get my first car look like I wanted.

And then I started exploring. I tried driving with the fps view. I had the radio turned to the chill music, it was night and I was driving down to Miami. And it felt amazing. Just driving at night. As someone who has never really got the opportunity to go to other countries it feels like I'm actually exploring the US. And when I got to Miami... I switched to third person view to take in the sights. The buildings are very versatile, it feels like I've never seen the same thing twice in the game. The lighting is great. I went down to Malibu and Miami beach, watched the sunrise in from the sand. It looked great and it felt great. I was really captivated by the game. Later I went to the mountain states, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles... This game really is one of a kind.

The racing is pretty mediocre but it's not worse than any other racing game I've played. It's fun, but nothing special. But they do have a variety of missions that make the gameplay more interesting.

And the soundtrack isn't even that bad. As I've said the chill radio station is very good, especially for long driving sequences, and they have some good music on other stations as well. So I went from "I don't really care" to "shit, I'm gonna have to by this game...". I really like it.

I made some beautiful screenshots, you can check them out here if you want: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/44orimaugc73z/Game_screens

xkoi5jxme8dzdxjfg.jpg

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

I wish it would work for me, it looks really cool other than the 30 fps cap

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

30fps cap? Isn't this game running at 60fps then? But yeah I have to say, I'm really enjoying this game aswell. Love those freeroam driving games, if there were any besides the crew

if you have friends this will probably be the best racing game there is

the (multiplayer) missions look interesting, lets hope they have a bit more creativity then, drive to there, take out this car, or any of the other generic stuff

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I wish it would work for me, it looks really cool other than the 30 fps cap

GUYS GET OVER THE FPS CAP, YOU CAN CHANGE IT EASILY AND WILL BE RAISED

I think for a game FPS cap should not be a factor, that would change the whole experience dramatically

Anyway, the game is really cool, my favourite feature is the cockpit view, as I can "only" drive cars like that in game

The handling is good enough, although personally I am a simulator fan, but it is not bad

USA is beautiful, after I left detroit I just realised how huge it is and how detailed!

Story is a strong mehh, but it is not horrible

The game itself is really awesome, it is basically WoW with cars (bad joke intended)

I think for a game FPS cap should not be a factor, that would change the whole experience dramatically

Anyway, the game is really cool, my favourite feature is the cockpit view, as I can "only" drive cars like that in game

The handling is good enough, although personally I am a simulator fan, but it is not bad

USA is beautiful, after I left detroit I just realised how huge it is and how detailed!

Story is a strong mehh, but it is not horrible

The game itself is really awesome, it is basically WoW with cars (bad joke intended)

It's bad that it has a 30 fps cap.

Are the off-road areas accessible right now?

Yes, the whole US is unlocked.

Yes it should factor into the decision to buy a particular game. The whole FPS cap thing just perplexes me. And it is noticeable. But it's not horrible. After a little while you get used to it, and the game has more than enough positives to outweigh the negatives, at least for me.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

if there were any besides the crew

Test Drive Unlimited 1 (it has part 2, but it was more.. interesting than good)

Forza Horizon ( not that big, but the cars, driving, tuning, sounds visuals are amazing

I know that it is not good, but it can be solved...

Yes it should factor into the decision to buy a particular game. The whole FPS cap thing just perplexes me. And it is noticeable. But it's not horrible. After a little while you get used to it, and the game has more than enough positives to outweigh the negatives, at least for me.

Devs said that it will be 60 fps when the game come out, and there is an xml file with some editing it can be solved...

Although it is strange that there is fps cap in PC game

Is the map really the whole US or just a scaled down version like Europe map in ETS2?

Is the map really the whole US or just a scaled down version like Europe map in ETS2?

Obviously it's not to scale. That would be insane. But it's still huge. And I mean fucking HUGE! And it's pretty versatile too, and there's a surprising amount of detail.

ETS2? what does it stands for?

and as our Gross friend said, it takes 1 hour to drive from coast to coast.... and there are loads of content meanwhile and the map is really detailed and monumental

Obviously it's not to scale. That would be insane. But it's still huge. And I mean fucking HUGE! And it's pretty versatile too, and there's a surprising amount of detail.

So you can drive pretty much everywhere in the map? Including the hills and desert?

ETS2? what does it stands for?

and as our Gross friend said, it takes 1 hour to drive from coast to coast.... and there are loads of content meanwhile and the map is really detailed and monumental

Euro truck simulator 2. love that game. 1 hour coast to coast isn't that bad actually.

So you can drive pretty much everywhere in the map? Including the hills and desert?

Euro truck simulator 2. love that game. 1 hour coast to coast isn't that bad actually.

not pretty much, literally

There are no such man made restrictions as invisible walls or something

This is a huge game. try it, it worth a free shot :)

Test Drive Unlimited 1 (it has part 2, but it was more.. interesting than good)

Forza Horizon ( not that big, but the cars, driving, tuning, sounds visuals are amazing

I know that it is not good, but it can be solved...

Devs said that it will be 60 fps when the game come out, and there is an xml file with some editing it can be solved...

Although it is strange that there is fps cap in PC game

I found out how to set fps cap at 60 

I doubt you will be driving a lot in the heavily forested areas or very steep mountains, but there's a big off-road element in the game. There are car specs that are better suited for off-roading.

not pretty much, literally

There are no such man made restrictions as invisible walls or something

This is a huge game. try it, it worth a free shot :)

But that UPlay.urghh.. :P I really love driving games. I might just get it for Xbox as I'm passing down my pc to my sister. No more pc mustard race.

I doubt you will be driving a lot in the heavily forested areas or very steep mountains, but there's a big off-road element in the game. There are car specs that are better suited for off-roading.

I'm the kind of the guy will try and drive into those 'uncharted' area in an open world map. I like to get sidetrack after doing missions. But this game really looks promising from what I can see. hows the handling? Any weather simulations that will affect the driving? What about the AI(traffics)?

Through in some in game screens of the garage and my charger. Doesn't look too bad. But wouldn't pay over £40 for it. 

post-62428-0-78041000-1409238049_thumb.j
post-62428-0-73500800-1409238064_thumb.j

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

. But wouldn't pay over £40 for it. 

Wait a month or two :)

Wait a month or two :)

Wouldn't pay for it full stop was where i was getting at. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Wouldn't pay for it full stop was where i was getting at. 

Even though we live in the same area (Portadown here) we do have different opinions :)

I think when my PC will be ready, I will give it a go, seems like a game I will enjoy

Even though we live in the same area (Portadown here) we do have different opinions :)

I think when my PC will be ready, I will give it a go, seems like a game I will enjoy

The beta isn't that bad. As long as the rear view mirror works then i'll be happy. Might shell out on it though if it is really worth it. 

????? Does it really have 30 fps cap? I played it 2 days ago and was impressed by how fun it was. Didn't notice any frame rate nearly as low as 30 fps and I cranked settings to Ultra!

| CPUAMD FX-6350 4.2Ghz | MotherboardGigabyte: GA-78LMT-USB3 | RAM16 GBytes DDR3 | GPUMSI AMD Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr IV OC Edition | PSU: Corsair 650W Modular +Gold Certified | Storage: 2 TB HDD |

????? Does it really have 30 fps cap? I played it 2 days ago and was impressed by how fun it was. Didn't notice any frame rate nearly as low as 30 fps and I cranked settings to Ultra!

That's because the human eye can only see up to 30FPS anyway. (just kidding :P ) But it does prove a point though that fps doesn't matter nearly as much as they make it out to be. It's nice to have 60, but 30 is not "unplayable" or "unenjoyable", as they say.

The 30 FPS cap will be toggleble when the game releases, so you'll have both 30 and 60.

"This 30 FPS cap actually only applies to the Beta.  The game will run in 1080p with 30 frames per second on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Xbox 360. For the PC version, we are aiming at offering the option to play with either 60 frames per second or 30 frames per second."

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 -