Necesity of overclocking?

You may as well. If you're going to spend any amount of money on a CPU you may as well get the performance out of it that it's capable of, voltage and temperature limiting. It just comes down to how much you want to spend on a cooler and work within that.

I understand, but how well is overclocking on air, mainly the hyper 212 evo?

Well that would of course depend on your CPU, I think with a 4690K as it does 3.9GHz at ~1.1v (mine is 0.987v stock and it applies around 100mV "oc voltage" (which isn't necessary).

You could probably be doing 4.2 or so at 1.1v

Is everyones stock different? since you mentioned yours is 0.987v stock. and how much would overclocking turn up the wattage? As heat and all etc. Im thinking about skimming out on the cooler thats why. I intended on getting an h100i, but might refrain from doing so due to miminal or minor benefits.

CPU's and Games, 4-8 Cores being the sweet spot ,. But they usually react better again to increased core frequency.

Another thing to mention is generational improvements to IPC or processing power @ the same frequencies over time.

You may absolutely NEED to overclock older CPU's, but not the latest and greatest ones you can buy today, as their ample for Gaming.

This was just made/released today and shows little to zero difference (bar 5% GPU load fluctuations) with 3.4Ghz>4.8Ghz in some of todays modern games.

Obviously other games will vary, and older CPU's may suffer more (as he's using a 3570K) and thats easily enough @ stock to not limit any game to date.

But overall, having the ability to lengthen the life down the line, doesnt hurt.

I see, but how well would OC work on air? for cpu wise.

I understand, but how well is overclocking on air, mainly the hyper 212 evo?

Is everyones stock different? since you mentioned yours is 0.987v stock. and how much would overclocking turn up the wattage? As heat and all etc. Im thinking about skimming out on the cooler thats why. I intended on getting an h100i, but might refrain from doing so due to miminal or minor benefits.

I use a Hyper 412 myself (basically a prettier version of the 212, same performance) and it keeps my 4.7ghz/1.31v overclock under 80c in aida64 stress test and around 65 while gaming. With haswell you don't really need uber cooling as they run hot because they kick out loads of heat they just don't do a good job of transferring it away from the cpu. So you'll see very minimal benefits with h100i, maybe even worse as the mounting system is hit and miss, lots of people complain about high temps with it on haswell.

Everyones stock will vary depending on bin, my stock vcore pulls ~70w on core and ~20w on uncore (cache etc), overclocked this becomes ~130 on core and ~50 on the uncore. So not too bad. And as I said it stays under 80, 85 is considered the 'safe' limit.

I use a Hyper 412 myself (basically a prettier version of the 212, same performance) and it keeps my 4.7ghz/1.31v overclock under 80c in aida64 stress test and around 65 while gaming. With haswell you don't really need uber cooling as they run hot because they kick out loads of heat they just don't do a good job of transferring it away from the cpu. So you'll see very minimal benefits with h100i, maybe even worse as the mounting system is hit and miss, lots of people complain about high temps with it on haswell.

Heh really? I've never used a h100i myself, but I was under the impression that the mounting system was meant to be a lot better than the standard Asetek one. Also the thermal thing you mention is for old Haswell. 4690(K) is Devil's Canyon and they (supposedly) fixed that issue.

Heh really? I've never used a h100i myself, but I was under the impression that the mounting system was meant to be a lot better than the standard Asetek one. Also the thermal thing you mention is for old Haswell. 4690(K) is Devil's Canyon and they (supposedly) fixed that issue.

apparently the 4690k has better thermal interface making the temperatures a bit lower ? like 5 degrees maybe and all from the 4590 or k'ed version.

Everyones stock will vary depending on bin, my stock vcore pulls ~70w on core and ~20w on uncore (cache etc), overclocked this becomes ~130 on core and ~50 on the uncore. So not too bad. And as I said it stays under 80, 85 is considered the 'safe' limit.

Oh but there has to be an improved benefit of having the 412 or is it just aesthetics? and whats the limit of voltage on an haswell cpu?

apparently the 4690k has better thermal interface making the temperatures a bit lower ? like 5 degrees maybe and all from the 4590 or k'ed version.

Oh but there has to be an improved benefit of having the 412 or is it just aesthetics? and whats the limit of voltage on an haswell cpu?

Well it offers better cooling at lower RPM, as the fins have a bigger gap between them, to make up for lost fin space it's bigger.

Hi guys.

Recently building an mini itx build, some parts.

Bitfenix Prodigy Mini itx / Seasonic 750 gold 80 plus Ps.

So thats just the background, but im looking for the necesity for overclocking an CPU.

This is for an gaming build so im probably either getting an i5 4690k or just an 4690.

If i am going to watercool it, im going to go with an closed loop, probably the H100i.

This build is going to be for gaming etc etc, so im looking to know if "overclocking" is going to give me any real performances or is it just an marketing/benchmark performance.

I mean blah blah blah 5.0 ghz on paper, but does it perform faster than lets say an 3.5 ghz i5 at stock speed?

If so how much is the gains? and how hard is overclocking in general, for i am an novice but trying to DIY.

Thanks guys.

That cpu is already overkill for games right now, but in the future (6 years?) overclocking will kill bottleneck :D

The 5 degrees will depend on what cooler you use. The point is that there's a reason to put a decent cooler on a Haswell Refresh CPU, where it would be wasted on something like a 4770k because the TIM is the limiting factor.

That cpu is already overkill for games right now, but in the future (6 years?) overclocking will kill bottleneck :D

So in youre opinion, what would be just right for gaming right now? There just was an price cut with the Amd cpu's so opinion on that? i5 vs ?

Well it offers better cooling at lower RPM, as the fins have a bigger gap between them, to make up for lost fin space it's bigger.

so that would make it more quiet correct?

The 5 degrees will depend on what cooler you use. The point is that there's a reason to put a decent cooler on a Haswell Refresh CPU, where it would be wasted on something like a 4770k because the TIM is the limiting factor.

what kind of decent coolers do you recommend personally?

So in youre opinion, what would be just right for gaming right now? There just was an price cut with the Amd cpu's so opinion on that? i5 vs ?

so that would make it more quiet correct?

1) "right for gaming right now" has about an infinite amount of answers, the main restriction on your decision will be based primarily around budget, how long you want the system to last, and if you want any expandability besides gaming (light video encoding, streaming, visual production suites, etc)

AMD is the king of budget builds and $/performance unless you're venturing into FX-83xx / i5-46xxK territory -then it's pretty debatable unless you're hell bent on not overclocking. If you're doing anything other than gaming and have a higher budget Intel i5/i7 K's are really the only choice and will afford you some extended years. Before I get a "derr hurr more cores=better perfomance" quip from the AMD camp, yes the FX-83xx's will beat out OC'd i5's in highly threaded applications, but for the time being only a handful of games utilize a high thread/core count and i5's still stomp the FX's in single core performance (day-to-day use situations and 80-90% of available games).

2) yes, unless it's a terrible fan lower RPM will = less dB's (sound)

3) Noctua D14/15, Coolermaster EVO212 if you're on an extreme budget, H100i for a H2O AIO and OCing plans

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Depends on your budget and your component compatibility. If you don't have much to spend and just want something decent the 212 EVO is a good choice. If you have a bit more to spend the Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D15 are very good air coolers BUT do make sure they fit your system: the D14 requires low profile RAM and the D15 fouls the top PCI slot on your motherboard, so you better not need that slot for a GPU. If you have more to spend the H105 and H110 are really good, but obviously you'd have to research both and make sure they fit your case.

1) "right for gaming right now" has about an infinite amount of answers, the main restriction on your decision will be based primarily around budget, how long you want the system to last, and if you want any expandability besides gaming (light video encoding, streaming, visual production suites, etc)

AMD is the king of budget builds and $/performance unless you're venturing into FX-83xx / i5-46xxK territory -then it's pretty debatable unless you're hell bent on not overclocking. If you're doing anything other than gaming and have a higher budget Intel i5/i7 K's are really the only choice and will afford you some extended years. Before I get a "derr hurr more cores=better perfomance" quip from the AMD camp, yes the FX-83xx's will beat out OC'd i5's in highly threaded applications, but for the time being only a handful of games utilize a high thread/core count and i5's still stomp the FX's in single core performance (day-to-day use situations and 80-90% of available games).

2) yes, unless it's a terrible fan lower RPM will = less dB's (sound)

3) Noctua D14/15, Coolermaster EVO212 if you're on an extreme budget, H100i for a H2O AIO and OCing plans

My budget would be around 1200-1300ish. But sadly i picked an mini itx build so there will be no expandability. It would be pointless of me to swap out an Gpu without an cpu switch. Also im planning for it to last a good 4-5 years hopefully. Gaming on 1-2 monitors 1080 probably or maybe 1 monitor on 1440.

Depends on your budget and your component compatibility. If you don't have much to spend and just want something decent the 212 EVO is a good choice. If you have a bit more to spend the Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D15 are very good air coolers BUT do make sure they fit your system: the D14 requires low profile RAM and the D15 fouls the top PCI slot on your motherboard, so you better not need that slot for a GPU. If you have more to spend the H105 and H110 are really good, but obviously you'd have to research both and make sure they fit your case.

Since im getting the prodigy, i believe the h110 doesnt fit and im not so sure about the h105.

Lots of reason.

To put it into perspective. I still have my 8 year old i7 920. And it's still very good and gives no bottleneck. Why? Because my overclock compensated for it. Meaning I brought it up to the standard of this year and even at high level gaming.

My budget would be around 1200-1300ish. But sadly i picked an mini itx build so there will be no expandability. It would be pointless of me to swap out an Gpu without an cpu switch. Also im planning for it to last a good 4-5 years hopefully. Gaming on 1-2 monitors 1080 probably or maybe 1 monitor on 1440.

Since im getting the prodigy, i believe the h110 doesnt fit and im not so sure about the h105.

The h100i should fit but you will lose all of the drive bays (including the 5.25" expansion up top) if you mount it on the front. You could also top mount it and lose the 5.25" while keeping the drive bays on the bottom. I made a prodigy with a custom loop and crammed x2 120mm x 45mm rads in http://www.overclock.net/t/1444845/bitfenix-prodigy-i7-4770k-custom-water Obviously not the most economical solution, but it kept the hot running i7-4770k under 80C along with the GTX 680, think full load in BF4 on ultra @1080p is sub 73C on both the CPU and GPU.

After building my second prodigy last month I've decided no more, although I was able to fit an H80i in that one no problem, just left the GPU air cooled. It's a pain to work with especially if you have kludgeon hands like myself, but it can be done.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |