Windows 7 slow/sluggish with 2 monitors

I've had this problem for a while where Windows 7 will lag/slowdown when moving windows(firefox, steam, skype) back and forth. This also happens with the snap animations

I have verified that this only happens when I use 2 monitors, because if I deactivate the second monitor everything is smooth.

Specs:
i5 4670k

Geforce GTX 680, driver version 340.52

12GB RAM

750W power supply

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

If you need the specific models I will look it up.

Thank you in advance.

What HDD/SSD do you have?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

What HDD/SSD do you have?

I have the Samsung 840 Series 250GB, 540/250 MB/s SSD

Its most likely your GPU. What size are the monitors? Resolution?

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I've had this problem for a while where Windows 7 will lag/slowdown when moving windows(firefox, steam, skype) back and forth. This also happens with the snap animations

I have verified that this only happens when I use 2 monitors, because if I deactivate the second monitor everything is smooth.

Specs:

i5 4670k

Geforce GTX 680, driver version 340.52

12GB RAM

750W power supply

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

If you need the specific models I will look it up.

Thank you in advance.

I would've said "try updating your GPU drivers" but you already have the latest ones. Another thing I've thought of, do you happen to have one monitor connecting to one of the display ports on your motherboard and the other on the GTX 680?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Two 1080p monitors.

19" and 24"

I would've said "try updating your GPU drivers" but you already have the latest ones. Another thing I've thought of, do you happen to have one monitor connecting to one of the display ports on your motherboard and the other on the GTX 680?

No, both monitors are connected to the GPU.

No, both monitors are connected to the GPU.

Hmm, have you done anything different that may have caused Windows to become sluggish?

When did this sluggishness start, have you had two monitors connected before without any problems?

Are they both running at their maximum refresh rates?

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Hmm, have you done anything different that may have caused Windows to become sluggish?

When did this sluggishness start, have you had two monitors connected before without any problems?

I don't think I've done anything differently, and when I tested Windows 8.1 on my computer everything was fine.

I don't actually remember when it started but I've noticed it for some months now.

Are they both running at their maximum refresh rates?

Yes, both are running at 60Hz

I don't think I've done anything differently, and when I tested Windows 8.1 on my computer everything was fine.

I don't actually remember when it started but I've noticed it for some months now.

Well, this is quite a mystery. I'm wondering if maybe @Whiskers can help you out.

May be your RAM config, you have triple channel memory when you can only run dual, take a stick out and see if anything has changed.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

May be your RAM config, you have triple channel memory when you can only run dual, take a stick out and see if anything has changed.

Nope, no difference.

too many open programs?

get a startup monitor app such as soluto to remove some unwanted programs

also do a virus scan with something sucg as malwarebytes

i once had two 1080p screens running off of an old 9400 GS it isnt his GPU.

OP, Are the two screens of different resolutions? Are you using any third party taskbar apps? Anything that could change the properties of either screen? Running two different background on each screen?

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

I had the same problem. Make sure you have windows fully updated. I have a pc around your power, and I had the same problems.