Sapphire,PowerColor and XFX R9 285 also pictured

Bloodyvalley

115a.jpg

115b.jpg

115c.jpg

Pictured above is the Sapphire Radeon R9 285 ITX Compact Edition

It will feature Dual-BIOS (likely the only R9 285 to do so) and it is cooled by 1 100mm fan. The card uses 2 6 pin connectors and the external outputs are the following: two mini-DisplayPort 1.2, one HDMI 1.4a, and a dual-link DVI, which has analog (VGA) pins, and an adapter for that is included. The card is stock but Sapphire plans to release an "OC edition", which adds 10mhz more to the core clock and keeps the memory clock stock (lmao). It is, although, 6.7 inches long (approx 17cm).

Here's the PowerColor R9 285 Turboduo (looks much better than the Sapphire, although it is bigger). This one is probably meant for OCers, although I think most OCers will go for ASUS' card.

116a.jpg

116b.jpg

116c.jpg

116d.jpg

The external outputs are the following: two dual-link DVI ports, one HDMI port and one DisplayPort. This one is actually factory overclocked to 945 mhz, instead of the 915 mhz that AMD offers.

Also, there was the ASUS R9 285 that was pictured but someone posted about that. Here's the thread if you want to take a look at it, it contains the specs of a reference R9 285.

Here are some more pictures that were not in that thread I believe:

110a.jpg

110b.jpg

110d.jpg

110c.jpg

I also managed to find the XFX Double Dissipation edition, and DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN it's sexy. XFX is starting to impress me.

R9-285A-CDF_1.JPG

R9-285A-CDF_2.JPG

R9-285A-CDF_3.JPG

R9-285A-CDF_4.JPG

R9-285A-CDF_5.JPG

AMD's website (which was actually removed, I had to used the cached version of Google) says that this card beats the GTX 760.Click here for the Cached version

So it's worse than the 280/X...gg

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

So it's worse than the 280/X...gg

They said its mean't to compete with the GTX 760, so it really is not a surpise, since the 280X competes with the 770

But they should have called it the R9 275(x)

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

PowerColor unit cooling fans look like the one taken from the Devil 13 290X Dual

Sapphire model with one fan?! o.0

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

The card doesn't make any sense to me.  It doesn't fit into the market anywhere.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The card doesn't make any sense to me. It doesn't fit into the market anywhere.

Then neither does the 760 which is the most common NVIDIA graphics card ever.

They said its mean't to compete with the GTX 760, so it really is not a surpise, since the 280X competes with the 770

But they should have called it the R9 275(x)

I know...but they like to fuck around and troll people by putting it near the high end spectrum of their GPU lineup when it's mid end.

Geniuses.

Um you don't understand.

There already is the 270/X which rivals the 760, 280/X to the 770, and the 290X to the 780ti.

It would be logical to have the 285 match the 780 (actually wasn't thinking about that, just did right now, AMD just said fuck the 780 and rivaled the 780ti instead). This pos doesn't deserve to live. Almost as bad as the 720.

TLDR AMD has so many GPUs in its lineup it's stupid to confuse it even more, whereas nvidia has less but distinct(as in performance) GPUs

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

true

really hate renames of the old GPU

the 285 is the HD7870XT rename which i found out

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

No, the 760 has a place in the market because it was there a long time ago and it is a staple in the way Nvidia releases cards.  x60, x70, x80.  Are there better options than the 760 for a lower price, yes.  But this is a staple in how Nvidia does things.

This 285 makes absolutely no sense though.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

No, the 760 has a place in the market because it was there a long time ago and it is a staple in the way Nvidia releases cards. x60, x70, x80. Are there better options than the 760 for a lower price, yes. But this is a staple in how Nvidia does things.

If you are referring to the name scheme then yeah I agree

true

really hate renames of the old GPU

the 285 is the HD7870XT rename which i found out

No it's not a re-brand, it's a brand new GPU.

Which is why it supports features only found in the Hawaii (290 series) GPU. Like XDMA bridge-less CrossfireX.

The HD 7870 XT is a Tahiti LE card based on the same GPU as the 280X and the 280, it doesn't support in-game FreeSync, TrueAudio or XDMA CrossfireX. All of which are hardware features found only in the Sea Islands and Volcanic Islands uArchitecture, Tahiti is an older Southern Island GPU.

Tonga (The 285) is primarily a mobile GPU that introduces R9 280 performance at 60W lower TDP. Making it the undisputed fastest mobile GPU when it hits the market.

AMD's mobile discrete graphics sales jumped 30% last quarter purely due to the introduction of Tonga to the OEM market & that alone is telling of how desirable this GPU is in the mobile segment.

No, the 760 has a place in the market because it was there a long time ago and it is a staple in the way Nvidia releases cards.  x60, x70, x80.  Are there better options than the 760 for a lower price, yes.  But this is a staple in how Nvidia does things.

A card that's faster than the 760 and has more features for the same price makes no sense? you're the one that's making absolutely no sense.

I know...but they like to fuck around and troll people by putting it near the high end spectrum of their GPU lineup when it's mid end.

Geniuses.Um you don't understand.

There already is the 270/X which rivals the 760, 280/X to the 770, and the 290X to the 780ti.

It would be logical to have the 285 match the 780 (actually wasn't thinking about that, just did right now, AMD just said fuck the 780 and rivaled the 780ti instead). This pos doesn't deserve to live. Almost as bad as the 720.

TLDR AMD has so many GPUs in its lineup it's stupid to confuse it even more, whereas nvidia has less but distinct(as in performance) GPUs

I don't think AMD just said fuck the 780 and rivaled the 780ti instead. You must have forgotten about the R9 290 (which I have the Tri-X version) that rivals the GTX 780 and 290x for 780ti is my understanding.

A card that's faster than the 760 and has more features for the same price makes no sense? you're the one that's making absolutely no sense.

The R9 280 for $200 is already available for that exact purpose. 

The R9 280 for $200 is already available for that exact purpose. 

The 280 doesn't support TrueAudio or freesync and it has a much higher TDP.

Plus the official price for the 280 is 250$, it's on sale right now because retailers want to clear their inventories before the 285 shows up.

AMD makes next to nothing on 280s because the cards are quite expensive to make. The 285 is less expensive to make than the 280 because of its smaller memory buss which means higher margins for AMD and the lower TDP allows AMD to compete more aggressively in mobile.

The aformentioned reasons are why the 285 makes sense for AMD.

The 280 doesn't support TrueAudio or freesync and it has a much higher TDP.

Plus the official price for the 280 is 250$, it's on sale right now because retailers want to clear their inventories before the 285 shows up.

AMD makes next to nothing on 280s because the cards are quite expensive to make. The 285 is less expensive to make than the 280 because of its smaller memory buss which means higher margins for AMD and the lower TDP allows AMD to compete more aggressively in mobile.

The aformentioned reasons are why the 285 makes sense for AMD.

Unless you specifically need those features, which some people really will need-- When you see a 280 next to a 285 with the 280 $50 less expensive with better stats, I'm taking the 280.

Unless you specifically need those features, which some people really will need-- When you see a 280 next to a 285 with the 280 $50 less expensive with better stats, I'm taking the 280.

Better stats don't matter if the 285 ends being faster.

And like I said you won't find any 280s in retail very soon because they've been clearing them from inventories for the past month.

Better stats don't matter if the 285 ends being faster.

And like I said you won't find any 280s in retail very soon because they've been clearing them from inventories for the past month.

Bring on the benchies!

It's shocking how so many people aren't willing to wait for reviews. It's obviously worse than the 280X, but the 280? I doubt it, but we'll see.

Also, in what universe do you guys live in where the 270X is even close to the 760? I know that the 760 trades blows with the 7950/280.

No it's not a re-brand, it's a brand new GPU.

Which is why it supports features only found in the Hawaii (290 series) GPU. Like XDMA bridge-less CrossfireX.

The HD 7870 XT is a Tahiti LE card based on the same GPU as the 280X and the 280, it doesn't support in-game FreeSync, TrueAudio or XDMA CrossfireX. All of which are hardware features found only in the Sea Islands and Volcanic Islands uArchitecture, Tahiti is an older Southern Island GPU.

Tonga (The 285) is primarily a mobile GPU that introduces R9 280 performance at 60W lower TDP. Making it the undisputed fastest mobile GPU when it hits the market.

AMD's mobile discrete graphics sales jumped 30% last quarter purely due to the introduction of Tonga to the OEM market & that alone is telling of how desirable this GPU is in the mobile segment.

looks like i stand corrected

but if it a new GPU 

why the downgrade of the memory bus to 256 bits instead of 384 bit?

or it was a carry over from the mobile GPU production

looks like i stand corrected

but if it a new GPU 

why the downgrade of the memory bus to 256 bits instead of 384 bit?

PCperspective discussed this on their podcast a couple weeks ago, how the new Tonga GPU (285) can perform better with a 256bit bus vs 384bit. You can take a listen at the 1:21:00 mark here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt2X3PFAMGo

It has to do with reduction in redundancies, better optimization and efficiency in the architecture. There's actually no need or benefit for it to be 384bit.

Sapphire model with one fan?! o.0

That's a mini-ITX version - notice how much shorter that card is? ;)

It's meant for much smaller cases where full-length GPUs will not fit.

It's shocking how so many people aren't willing to wait for reviews. It's obviously worse than the 280X, but the 280? I doubt it, but we'll see.

Also, in what universe do you guys live in where the 270X is even close to the 760? I know that the 760 trades blows with the 7950/280.

The 7950 and 280 is, on average, a little stronger than the 760. The 270X isn't far behind the 7950/280 and thus, puts it very close to the 760. Here are some benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1043?vs=1038

The 270X doesn't trail far behind the 760 and actually matches or out-performs the green team in several games/tests. So it seems that in this very universe, the 270X is very close to the 760. ;)

I really don't understand why the 760 is so popular when it's actually significantly over-priced, compared to what AMD has to offer. The 280 costs less, performs better and has more Vram. And now the 285, while it has the same amount of Vram, will still out-perform the 760, cost less and use less power. 

Also, just a note for those complaining AMD went backwards by offering only 2GB Vram for the 285; they did mention there will be 4GB versions of the 285 as well during the reveal.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS