Tech Tips

Tsuki

So I've been around this forum for some time, but I have yet to see a just general "tech tips" thread where we can unload every random tip we know. welcome to that thread!

post every simple tip and trick you know for tech(not just computers) whether it be awesome programs like CCleaner and Malwarebytes, boot disks like Hirens and Falcon Four, random windows shortcuts, anything at all! lets share our collective knowlage :D

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

This is the closest I can think, if you know how to do something cool, post a guide on how to do that in there.

If it's just simple stuff though this thread might work IDK I'll follow it and see how it pans out. :)

Restarting fixes all problems. Huehuehue.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Pro tip: never leave the house without a flash drive.

don't shove things through your cooling radiator. Just don't.

I bent a couple fins on my h80 by trying to install it in the dark

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Pro tip: never leave the house without a flash drive.

I've never left the house with a flash drive.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

I've never left the house with a flash drive.

You sir, are on a path to greatness.

Before buying a mainboard view the QVL and CPU Supportlist. Avoids Z87 owner problems with haswell refresh.

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

This is the closest I can think, if you know how to do something cool, post a guide on how to do that in there.

If it's just simple stuff though this thread might work IDK I'll follow it and see how it pans out. :)

yea simple stuff is what im hoping for.  i know theres a lot of awesome guides, but some things are just too simple to a guide. and many things seem obvious (like not leaving without a flash drive) but are often overlooked

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Shift + Insert pastes just like Ctrl + V does. 

The Delete key deletes the character in front of the cursor whereas the Backspace key deletes the key behind it. 

Shift + Home highlights everything from the cursor to the beginning of the line, while Shift + End does the same for everything from the cursor to the end of the line in a text editor.

The Spacebar can be used to navigate a web page the same way Page Down can. Shift + Spacebar is Page Up.

Ctrl + Shift + Esc opens the Task Manager.

More to come (not just keyboard shortcuts).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The only tech tip you will ever need. 

giphy.gif

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Tech tip - Do your research before buying something expensive.

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Windows 8.1 Shortcuts.

Windows-key Switch between Metro and Desktop
Windowskey + C Open Charmsbar
Windowskey + D Switch to Desktop
Windowskey + E Launch windows explorer
Windowskey + F Search for files
Windowskey + H Open "share" in charmsbar
Windowskey + I Opens Settings in charmsbar
Windowskey + K Open Devices in charmsbar
Windowskey + L Lock system
Windowskey + Q Open search (metro)
Windowskey + P Dualmonitor menu
Windowskey + R Execute dialog
Windowskey + U Retard menu (no pun intend I lost the translation)
Windowskey + X Quickstartbar
Windowskey + Enter Speechservice
Windowskey + Pause Systemanager/Settings
Windowskey + Arrow down Minimize app
Windowskey + Arrow left Split app left half
Windowskey + Arrow right Split App right half
Windowskey + Plus Screenzoom Win + Esc to exit

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

Ctrl-W closes a tab or window almost like Alt-F4 does. Alt-F4 ends the process as if you did it in Task Manager. Ctrl-W is like clicking the X on the window or tab. Very useful since it works for most Windows based applications (i.e. Task Manager, Windows Explorer, most browsers, etc).

Ctrl-Z & Ctrl-Y are Undo/Redo respectively and work in most windows applications as well. Even for the text editor on this website. Most people know the commands but don't realize they work almost everywhere. Pasting for example. If I paste something I didn't mean to (when I'm trying to copy something with Ctrl-C and miss and press V for paste instead), I just undo it. Makes life easier.

Ctrl-E moves the cursor to the Address/URL/Omni-bar in a browser putting ? in it to search. I use it to jump to the bar so I can go to a website without a mouse.

Ctrl-Tab switches tabs. Add shift to go backwards.

Alt + Spacebar opens a menu on the current selected window showing basic functions (for Chrome, I get min/max, restore, task manager, Move, and Size).

More coming (again, not all of it will be keyboard shortcuts, they are just what I have the most of).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

when you're calling companys and get stuck in the automated system, most of the time, just pressing 0 at every option will get you to a real person faster

|Specs in profile|

*30% faster pageloading for firefox users with less then 3 minutes efford*

1. Open a new empty tab

2. Type in about:config

3. Hit enter

4. Accept the factory warning

5. Type in "pipelin"

jFm2vm8.jpg

6. Set this value by doubleclick the items.

network.http.pipelining true

network.http.pipelining.max-optimistic-requests 64

network.http.pipelining.maxrequests 120

network.http.pipelining.ssl true

2GkJaOM.jpg

7. Restart firefox. You should see a huge improvement in pageloading and yt video loading. Pipelining is save and only disabled for very outdated servers.

If you open up the calculator and put in 4004*2 it makes 8008.  :blush:

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

If you open up the calculator and put in 4004*2 it makes 8008.  :blush:

yay 8008ies!

|Specs in profile|

Ctrl-E moves the cursor to the Address/URL/Omni-bar in a browser putting ? in it to search. I use it to jump to the bar so I can go to a website without a mouse.

Also F6

Turn off your computer, phone, or tablet on a regular basis to clear the RAM and prevent performance issues. Sounds simple but is the main reason people say "it's slow" or "Apps keep crashing."

Make sure to use the right sized screwdriver (philips, torx, etc.) for the screw or you'll strip it or f-it-up and won't be able to removed it next time.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Don't over tighten screws or you'll either make them un-removeable or break the screw and have a dead hole requiring it to be tapped out and resized.

Don't place tongue on power adapter to test if there is current/voltage. Works with small batteries though ;)