840 Pro vs 850 Pro

legend8887

What are the advantages of the 850 Pro? I already have the 256GB 840 Pro that I got a month ago and it's really fast. I don't see the need to upgrade it.

Its 10 Pro better! :P

Stick with the 840, no need to dump it just because there's a new kid on the block, unless you have money to burn.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Its 10 Pro better! :P

Stick with the 840, no need to dump it just because there's a new kid on the block, unless you have money to burn.

I don't. Heck, I don't even have my graphics card yet. And I will need to upgrade my monitor after I get the graphics card. xD

If u just got the 840 pro don't get the 850 pro. The 850 pro is just hands down better all around though.

Newer NAND, prettier, and maybe a bit longer lasting.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If u just got the 840 pro don't get the 850 pro. The 850 pro is just hands down better all around though.

Tell me in what ways, not just that it's better.

You really don't however there are advantages to the new 850. They are as follows

1. The 850 uses 3d v-nand

2. Longer life span due to the use of 3d nand

3. Minimal speed increase at a reduced power consumption

Hope this helps :)

As I said it better all around. This is true as literally in every single way it is a better drive.

You really don't however there are advantages to the new 850 evo. They are as follows

1. The 850 uses 3d v-nand

2. Longer life span due to the use of 3d nand

3. Minimal speed increase at a reduced power consumption

Hope this helps :)

There isn't a 850 EVO...

As I said it better all around. This is true as literally in every single way it is a better drive.

There isn't a 850 EVO...

Typo my bad

frabz-Yeah-if-you-could-stop-trying-to-p

Marginally faster read and write times, much better longevity, and I believe Samsung finally added RAID support to its 850 SSDs which isn't on the 840 pro series.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Marginally faster read and write times, much better longevity, and I believe Samsung finally added RAID support to its 850 SSDs which isn't on the 840 pro series.

RAID? that a sata controller thing not SSD. If you mean RAPID the 840 Pro got it about two months after the EVO

RAID? that a sata controller thing not SSD. If you mean RAPID the 840 Pro got it about two months after the EVO

No no no, there's actually a well-known Samsung "bug" where it will write several blocks when the data is split up instead of intelligently writing it to 1 or 2, which of course reduces the life-expectancy of the drive, and it was true of the 830/40 line but I have yet to hear if the 850 Pro line fixed it or not.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No no no, there's actually a well-known Samsung "bug" where it will write several blocks when the data is split up instead of intelligently writing it to 1 or 2, which of course reduces the life-expectancy of the drive, and it was true of the 830/40 line but I have yet to hear if the 850 Pro line fixed it or not.

That would be controller based and the 850 Pro uses the same one as the 840 EVO just souped up a bit. So I dont know I never heard of that issue.

That would be controller based and the 850 Pro uses the same one as the 840 EVO just souped up a bit. So I dont know I never heard of that issue.

He probobly made that up, just like pretty much  everything else he says around these threads. Unless a source explaining it in depth is provided.

RAID doesn't care what device it is on. It can be a potato or a state of the art SSD.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

He probobly made that up, just like pretty much  everything else he says around these threads. Unless a source explaining it in depth is provided.

RAID doesn't care what device it is on. It can be a potato or a state of the art SSD.

Again with your BS.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1844707/raid-samsung-pro-840-trim-support.html

There's also the issue of caching not functioning correctly on RAIDed Samsung SSDs.

You mean trim? In raid 0 all it need a is a 7 series chiset or newer and intel rst ver 11 or newer. That not samsung specific either.

You mean trim? In raid 0 all it need a is a 7 series chiset or newer and intel rst ver 11 or newer. That not samsung specific either.

Trim is just the tip of the iceberg, and no, ADATA for instance has it supported in RAID. Internal caching disappears with RAID activated as well. Read on it gets nasty.

Trim is just the tip of the iceberg, and no, ADATA for instance has it supported in RAID. Internal caching disappears with RAID activated as well. Read on it gets nasty.

What kind of internal caching ? :mellow:

SSD does not, i repeat, does not know whether is in raid or not. Its possible, that raiding doesn't play well with Samsung turbowrite cache. Still a link discribing such issues wouldn't hurt.

What kind of internal caching ? :mellow:

SSD does not, i repeat, does not know whether is in raid or not. Its possible, that raiding doesn't play well with Samsung turbowrite cache. Still a link discribing such issues wouldn't hurt.

As in the 512MB of SRAM cache shuts off if the drive is thrown into RAID. As per links, they've been provided and are only a google search away. I'm on vacation in virginia so my access is spotty right now (screw Cape Charles) but this is a well-documented issue.

As in the 512MB of SRAM cache shuts off if the drive is thrown into RAID. As per links, they've been provided and are only a google search away. I'm on vacation in virginia so my access is spotty right now (screw Cape Charles) but this is a well-documented issue.

First off its not SRAM (512MB of sram would be hella EXPENSIVE) and secondly, SSD cannot, i repeat CANNOT work without DRAM cache if its designed to do so (where would you put redirection tables then ?)

So you're making this stuff up again, beucase you're unwilling to provide sources.

Typo my bad

frabz-Yeah-if-you-could-stop-trying-to-p

dude i love that movie can you tell me the name i can't remumber it 

if i helped you and im right give me best answer ok  ;)