What clock can most chips achieve (i5 3570k) ?

Like, without running Prime95 or something for a long time? What clock do most chips achieve and which you are almost 100% sure of that it can be stable at that clock? (unless it;s like a REALLY bad chip and you lost the silicone lottery hard)

I am now at 4 Ghz and so far no problems whatsoever at all, however I would like to go up a bit, to 4,2 without changing volt and I don't want to test it with Prime because too much time.

4.4 is the average overclock for IBV iirc :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

4.4 is the average overclock for IBV iirc :)

Woooo, really? *drools*

Woooo, really? *drools*

thats an IIRC tho, so dont quote me. also, its average, which means half of the chips (roughly) are lower than that

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I would say 4.2 is possible on every chip and 4.4 is possible on %95 of the chips

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I would say 4.2 is possible on every chip and 4.4 is possible on %95 of the chips

in a world where you wouldnt have any voltage restrictions that would be true...but in real life 95% of the chip 4.2ghz is possible and with 60% of them 4.4ghz is achieveable by most users.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Thanks guys, went to 4,1 now, let's see if it's stable when I game and such.

Also upped 1333 to 1600 on RAM, don't know if it will have any effect.

Like, without running Prime95 or something for a long time?

Can I ask why you won't be running Prime95? If your CPU isn't stable during Prime95 (Or similar, AIDA64, etc), then it's not really stable. You won't know when that instability could come back and get you (Blue-screens, lock ups, game glitches that may not show up for some time, etc).

Once you've dialed in your OC to where you want it, I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend running Prime95 or AIDA64 for a minimum of 12 hours. Just start it running over night when you go to bed and check it in the morning.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Can I ask why you won't be running Prime95? If your CPU isn't stable during Prime95 (Or similar, AIDA64, etc), then it's not really stable. You won't know when that instability could come back and get you (Blue-screens, lock ups, game glitches that may not show up for some time, etc).

Once you've dialed in your OC to where you want it, I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend running Prime95 or AIDA64 for a minimum of 12 hours. Just start it running over night when you go to bed and check it in the morning.

Well okay I guess I can do it while sleeping. But 12 hours?

Well you DO want a stable CPU, don't you? The point of running the stress test now is so you don't have to troubleshoot instability later.

Lets say you buy a new game, it starts glitching out (yet all your other games work fine). You spend hours and hours researching and trying various solutions... and then it turns out it's your OC causing the issue because it's not quite stable. Wouldn't that piss you off? It sure would piss me off.

So yes, I recommend 12 hours. Ideally you'd want to run it for 24 hours, but 12 hours is the minimum I'd say. Now others will disagree, but I'm definitely in the same group as Linus. It ain't stable until it's 100% stable.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well you DO want a stable CPU, don't you? The point of running the stress test now is so you don't have to troubleshoot instability later.

Lets say you buy a new game, it starts glitching out (yet all your other games work fine). You spend hours and hours researching and trying various solutions... and then it turns out it's your OC causing the issue because it's not quite stable. Wouldn't that piss you off? It sure would piss me off.

So yes, I recommend 12 hours. Ideally you'd want to run it for 24 hours, but 12 hours is the minimum I'd say. Now others will disagree, but I'm definitely in the same group as Linus. It ain't stable until it's 100% stable.

torturing a CPU with the same algorithm for 12 hours won't prove that it's stable...for me i like to stress test it with DIFFERENT stress testing soft for about an hour each and then i run a couple cinebench pass and THEN if it proves stable at this i throw games at it and use it normaly...after a couple days: confirmed stable!

Runing prime95 for 5 days won't prove your system is stable it only proves it's prime95 stable...it could still crash playing BF4 or any other stuff!

Prolonged stress testing runs is the old way of testing stability...the best way is to use a lot of different tools, apps, and games.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

torturing a CPU with the same algorithm for 12 hours won't prove that it's stable...for me i like to stress test it with DIFFERENT stress testing soft for about an hour each and then i run a couple cinebench pass and THEN if it proves stable at this i throw games at it and use it normaly...after a couple days: confirmed stable!

Runing prime95 for 5 days won't prove your system is stable it only proves it's prime95 stable...it could still crash playing BF4 or any other stuff!

Prolonged stress testing runs is the old way of testing stability...the best way is to use a lot of different tools, apps, and games.

I highly disagree with this practice. You've got one thing correct, and that is to do multiple stress testing of various kinds: Game for an hour or two, cinebench, etc, etc. However, running something like Prime95 or AIDA64 for 12+ hours most definitely will pick up things that gaming in BF4 for an hour won't. Also, BF4 is buggy as tits (Less so now though) so that's a bad example :P You'd have to do lots of troubleshooting to determine if the OC is even the culprit, especially if you're doing it as your "Stress Test".

Prime95 pushes the CPU to it's very limits. That's kind of the point with stress testing it. Certainly you'll want to do a variety of stress testing tasks to test various types of CPU usage, but running a CPU Stress Test for only an hour won't really tell you much besides that the CPU isn't ridiculously unstable.

There are many documented incidents of Prime95 not picking anything up until 5 hours, or 10 hours (as an example, but many hours in) into the stress test.

To add to that, if you're overclocking your RAM, it's also advisable to run Memtest86 for 12+ hours as well. Linus himself has said on occasion that he's had times where running Memtest86 for only a couple hours didn't pick up some memory errors. This is both useful in stress testing an OC as well as diagnosing bad RAM, as the symptoms are often very similar or can be identical.

I highly disagree with this practice. You've got one thing correct, and that is to do multiple stress testing of various kinds: Game for an hour or two, cinebench, etc, etc. However, running something like Prime95 or AIDA64 for 12+ hours most definitely will pick up things that gaming in BF4 for an hour won't. Also, BF4 is buggy as tits (Less so now though) so that's a bad example :P You'd have to do lots of troubleshooting to determine if the OC is even the culprit, especially if you're doing it as your "Stress Test".

Prime95 pushes the CPU to it's very limits. That's kind of the point with stress testing it. Certainly you'll want to do a variety of stress testing tasks to test various types of CPU usage, but running a CPU Stress Test for only an hour won't really tell you much besides that the CPU isn't ridiculously unstable.

There are many documented incidents of Prime95 not picking anything up until 5 hours, or 10 hours (as an example, but many hours in) into the stress test.

To add to that, if you're overclocking your RAM, it's also advisable to run Memtest86 for 12+ hours as well. Linus himself has said on occasion that he's had times where running Memtest86 for only a couple hours didn't pick up some memory errors. This is both useful in stress testing an OC as well as diagnosing bad RAM, as the symptoms are often very similar or can be identical.

I guess we have our way of seing things on this and we'll have to agree to disagree on some stuff...but i only do mostly gaming on my system so as long as no games crash i'm good i don't really need anything more than ''game stable'' so i do like to run different stress testings and then i use my computer normally...after a couple days or a week if i have gotten zero BSOD then it means that to me it's stable enough for what i do with my system...at least that's the way i'm seeing it! I now have my overclock dialed in since about the beginning of june and i have yet to have a single blue screen so for me this PC is rock solid and 100% stable!

I guess we have our way of seing things on this and we'll have to agree to disagree on some stuff...but i only do mostly gaming on my system so as long as no games crash i'm good i don't really need anything more than ''game stable'' so i do like to run different stress testings and then i use my computer normally...after a couple days or a week if i have gotten zero BSOD then it means that to me it's stable enough for what i do with my system...at least that's the way i'm seeing it! I now have my overclock dialed in since about the beginning of june and i have yet to have a single blue screen so for me this PC is rock solid and 100% stable!

CPU's can correct errors, won't effect performance probably by 0.00001% hence why you never see Gflop difference in IBT with a stable/unstable overclock. If they can't correct their error the application will crash or you bsod. Aslong as that doesnt happen you're stable. Putting the windows profile to high performance so it runs at full turbo/voltage is a great way to test your stability if you don't have the time to stresstest/game/rendering, bsod after an hour up vcore, bsod after 8 hours up vcore, bsod after a day up vcore, bsod after 3 days up vcore and then it doesnt happen anymore. Running a game/app no crashes. Perfectly stable. I don't stresstest anymore anyways

I was able to get to 4.5Ghz, but that was only a "look what it can do" overclock.

Everyday use I ran it at 4.4Ghz, on the reall hot days it was on 4.2Ghz.

Temps were really good under a Kraken x60, didn't go over 55c.

Imagine my surprise when I saw the temps on a 4790k after upgrading.. :blink:

i was able to get 4.6 but my H100 couldnt cope. settled for 4.5.

have since backed it down to 4.3 because my h100 crapped itself and running the stock cooler for now.

all speeds are turbo overclocks. i still use speedstep

If you wanna make sure its 100% stable go for 8 hours or more, otherwise 2 hours and some hardcore gaming should mean its pretty stable anyways.  

Just make sure your cooler can handle it, most times I wont go over 1.2v, at least on my haswell cpu I cant get to 4.4 on 1.2, I need about 1.21 or so, which I'm not willing to do.  So be prepared, while you could probably get to 4.4 I like to leave room for incase theres a heatwave outside or something :P 

Thanks guys, went to 4,1 now, let's see if it's stable when I game and such.

Also upped 1333 to 1600 on RAM, don't know if it will have any effect.

see if it goes to 4.2 at a fairly low voltage, I could go as low as 1.17v at 4.2ghz of course I'm using haswell, but you could probably get to 4.2 easily. 

coolkingler1

You are bored of waiting for p95 and similar programs?

Try bf4 if you have it.If bf4 is stable,everythng is stable.I was running 4.7ghz and stress tested with p95 for 6 hours successfully and when i opened bf4 it BSOD'd.

Another simple thing to do is to just do what you always do on your PC.If it don't BSOD(within 3-4 days) you are fine.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!