Yet another 4790K and H100i temps issue

Go to solution Solved by quantim0,

Ok, there's also a potential issue with some motherboards and the H100i bracket being loose. Some people are reporting a loose fit between the heatsink and the cpu. I used some small strips of foam tape on the back bracket to make it snug with the motherboard. I never ran it loose, so I can't say it had an effect, but it's worth investigating. 

Howdy folks

Time has come that I need to reach out to you and ask for advice, because I have an issue.

As title says, it has to do with overclocking and cooling i7 4790K, and the fact that I am getting somewhat worrying temperatures. At first I thought "maybe that's how it is supposed to be", but seeing as Linus posted video today about it, and the reviews of the CPU back it up (more or less), I came to conclusion that there is indeed an issue here. And a serious one at that.

Hardware:

- Intel i7 4790K

- Corsair H100i - configured as push and intake, so it has the supply of fresh, cold air. Case is Phanteks Enthoo Pro, if that makes any difference. Fans set in Corsair Link to Performance Mode (although I notice that it doesn't matter if I set them in Quiet or Perfomance mode, it doesn't noticeably affect things. Could this be sign of something wrong with the cooler unit itself?)

- Asus Z97 Pro

(it's brand new, bought last week)

Software:

- AIDA64 for stress testing

- Overclocking done in UEFI BIOS (I DO NOT use AI Suite, although I did before. Didn't really work for me, but it could be because o f the temps).

- X.M.P. Profile enabled

Each of the following MAX temperatures are made under full load stress test (du-uh!). The first scenario I ran for 15 minutes and stopped, as I noticed no further spikes in max temps. The second one I turned off within the first minute, not to risk damaging the CPU.

All temps in Celcius.

Ambient room temperature: 20*C

Idle, 38*C @ 4.0 GHz 1.072 V

Scenario #1 - Stock with X.M.P., BIOS defaults

All cores: x44

Voltage: 1.20 V

Max Temps under load (per core): 93, 93, 88, 82

Scenario #2 - Overclock

All cores: x46

Voltage: 1.30 V (because I would love to get it to x47, but...)

Max Temps under load (per core): 99, 99, 92, 86 in the first 30 seconds, I didn't dare run it for longer.

IDLE Temp: ~50-60*C

(On 1.25 V temps aren't much different, although I didn't run specific stress test for that now)

My ideas as to what could be wrong

Could it be problem with the Thermal Paste? When I was first installing the H100i, I did once put it on the CPU and then removed it because I had problem with conveniently installing it. Thermal paste transfer occured at that moment.

I am pretty sure that the cooler block itself is properly installed and has decent contact with the CPU surface. I did have to screw it in more tightly today as I noticed the screws, while not loose at all, could still be screwed in more. (stress tests were done after that)

H100i is connected to SATA power and to the USB header properly, all the fans are connected and working. Corsair Link states that the pump is running at around 2200 (rpm?). The supposed temperature of the H100i itself is at most 31*C. I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, though. Is it not transfering heat properly? SHOULD it be closer to the CPU temperatures?

Any suggestions? I am about to buy the thermal paste, get it tomorrow and try to see if replacing it anew helps.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Howdy folks

Time has come that I need to reach out to you and ask for advice, because I have an issue.

As title says, it has to do with overclocking and cooling i7 4790K, and the fact that I am getting somewhat worrying temperatures. At first I thought "maybe that's how it is supposed to be", but seeing as Linus posted video today about it, and the reviews of the CPU back it up (more or less), I came to conclusion that there is indeed an issue here. And a serious one at that.

Hardware:

- Intel i7 4790K

- Corsair H100i - configured as push and intake, so it has the supply of fresh, cold air. Case is Phanteks Enthoo Pro, if that makes any difference. Fans set in Corsair Link to Performance Mode (although I notice that it doesn't matter if I set them in Quiet or Perfomance mode, it doesn't noticeably affect things. Could this be sign of something wrong with the cooler unit itself?)

- Asus Z97 Pro

(it's brand new, bought last week)

Software:

- AIDA64 for stress testing

- Overclocking done in UEFI BIOS (I DO NOT use AI Suite, although I did before. Didn't really work for me, but it could be because o f the temps).

- X.M.P. Profile enabled

Each of the following MAX temperatures are made under full load stress test (du-uh!). The first scenario I ran for 15 minutes and stopped, as I noticed no further spikes in max temps. The second one I turned off within the first minute, not to risk damaging the CPU.

All temps in Celcius.

Ambient room temperature: 20*C

Idle, 38*C @ 4.0 GHz 1.072 V

Scenario #1 - Stock with X.M.P., BIOS defaults

All cores: x44

Voltage: 1.20 V

Max Temps under load (per core): 93, 93, 88, 82

Scenario #2 - Overclock

All cores: x46

Voltage: 1.30 V (because I would love to get it to x47, but...)

Max Temps under load (per core): 99, 99, 92, 86 in the first 30 seconds, I didn't dare run it for longer.

IDLE Temp: ~50-60*C

(On 1.25 V temps aren't much different, although I didn't run specific stress test for that now)

My ideas as to what could be wrong

Could it be problem with the Thermal Paste? When I was first installing the H100i, I did once put it on the CPU and then removed it because I had problem with conveniently installing it. Thermal paste transfer occured at that moment.

I am pretty sure that the cooler block itself is properly installed and has decent contact with the CPU surface. I did have to screw it in more tightly today as I noticed the screws, while not loose at all, could still be screwed in more. (stress tests were done after that)

H100i is connected to SATA power and to the USB header properly, all the fans are connected and working. Corsair Link states that the pump is running at around 2200 (rpm?). The supposed temperature of the H100i itself is at most 31*C. I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, though. Is it not transfering heat properly? SHOULD it be closer to the CPU temperatures?

Any suggestions? I am about to buy the thermal paste, get it tomorrow and try to see if replacing it anew helps.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

first reseat the CPU if not lower your voltage

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Replace with new thermal paste.

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

first reseat the CPU if not lower your voltage

Alright, done that. While doing that, I notice that indeed my thermal paste was somewhat... thin and uneven. Comparing it on CPU and the cooler block, it did seem like there were areas where combined were thinner than others.

Either way, I started another stress test and now the max temps seem to dropped to 89*C with average of around 80*C. (Default, stock speeds with boost). Slightly closer to my comfort zone. A good sign, but it seems like not enough. I'll have to try replacing the thermal paste indeed. For now I indeed will have to lower voltages if I notice it misbehaving, although that seems like only a temporary solution.

Replace with new thermal paste.

It seems I will have to. I'll post an update tomorrow, when I get it.

What are you using to stress test? I have the same basic setup, my case is an H440 and I have Noctua fans in push only. 

At 44x all cores, on Aida64 I will barely creep over 70C at 1.214 volts. Those are stock voltages, haven't messed with it much yet. When I'm playing BF4 multiplayer, highly cpu intensive, I won't even hit 60C, I'm usually in the mid 50s. 

So either you are using Prime95 and adaptive voltage, which is cranking your voltage too high or something is up with the cpu/cooler. Try reseating the cooler with new thermal paste, I'm using TX-4, but any good one performs similarly. 

What are you using to stress test? I have the same basic setup, my case is an H440 and I have Noctua fans in push only. 

At 44x all cores, on Aida64 I will barely creep over 70C at 1.214 volts. Those are stock voltages, haven't messed with it much yet. When I'm playing BF4 multiplayer, highly cpu intensive, I won't even hit 60C, I'm usually in the mid 50s. 

So either you are using Prime95 and adaptive voltage, which is cranking your voltage too high or something is up with the cpu/cooler. Try reseating the cooler with new thermal paste, I'm using TX-4, but any good one performs similarly. 

As I mentioned, I am using Aida64 as well for the stress test. Adaptive voltage is off. So I suppose it must be something with the cooling. I do hope it's not the CPU.

I did reseat the cooler, just to make sure it is installed correctly. I did get lower temps, but only barely (89C, down from 93C). So, I hope it's just the paste. As I mentioned a post above, I did notice it was kinda thin and uneven. I have ordered a new one and it is due to be delivered on Wednesday, so I'll see if it makes any difference. 

Ok, there's also a potential issue with some motherboards and the H100i bracket being loose. Some people are reporting a loose fit between the heatsink and the cpu. I used some small strips of foam tape on the back bracket to make it snug with the motherboard. I never ran it loose, so I can't say it had an effect, but it's worth investigating. 

Alright folks, here's an update.

I managed to solve the issue even before I got the new thermal paste, somehow. Either spreading the existing paste on the CPU, or fastening the cooler more tightly. It could have been that my bracket was loose as quantim0 mentioned, as I reseated it as well. The temperatures are now much more in line with what they should be, both stock and overclocked.

Thanks for helpful suggestions, cheers!