Mineral Oil Cooled PC: Where to Begin

Soooooo, this title is fairly self explanatory. I would like to make a super simple mineral oil cooled PC. (Easier said than done I know.)

I have a few year old DELL Optiplex desktop that I plan to be the sacrificial lamb so that I don't have to spend money on all new parts for this, especially because there's a high chance that I will mess up. 

My basic plan right now, is to completely disassemble the Dell Desktop and then basically drill a few holes in the side, use nut and bolt to attach the motherboard, then seal with some form of glue so it doesn't leak oil. Then just have everything else sort of rest inside the case. If I end up using the mechanical hard drive, I will keep it outside of the case (5 gallon fish tank), but if I invest in something small like a 60gb SSD, I'll probably store it inside the tank. This is clearly not going to be a gaming pc, but more of a cool project that I can show off later. :D

So my basic questions would be, do any of you fine ladies and gentleman have any tips for me before I embark on this adventure. (I.E. where to get about 5 gallons of cheap mineral oil, or if theres a certain kind I should use. Do's and Don'ts.) All help and tips, or comments telling me how dumb I am are all welcome. 

Thanks for all of your help in advance, I know this is probably the only forums I could take this to.

-Wubnaught

I would suggest you do something new and innovative. We have all seen mineral oil submerged PC in the past few years. Since you have a sacrificial lamb, why not try some other non-conductive liquid to create an all new submerged PC?

Personally, I have no idea and no motivation to create and manage such a machine and I will not be able to guide you in any way. Best of luck in your tech adventure, be sure to create a build log! :)

Yeah, this is messy, has been done before, and isn't a novel thing any-more. I don't think there are many on the forums, other than Slick, who could offer any advice. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Yeah, Mineral Oil cooled PC were more of a fad then anything back in the day, they really are not in anymore, fun little projects if you have some random PC components lying around. but in this day and age, really no need to do it to new hardware, liquid cooling is better then ever in 2014 :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

They make special cases for it (If you're going to submerge it, you might as well SEE it.)

You can find them if you search.

The temperatures achieved are nothing super special, and if you're looking for cheap, don't go this route.

Mineral oil itself is fairly expensive, and doesn't offer a ton of cooling.

This is something to say you've done it, and something to show off.

Either get a pretty case for it, or try something different. ^_^

-Inserted Acids two cents.-

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

One advice I can give is please check whatever glue you plan on using for resilience in an oil environment. The last thing you want is leaks or gooey stuff floating in your oil.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

^^^ Yeah I think you basically kiss your HW goodbye after submerging in this goo.....novelty for sure....have fun!

3930K - 4.85Ghz w EK Supremacy | RIVE w Photon 170 D5 Vario / Res Combo | 16GB 1866 Doms | Evga GTX 780Ti SC SLi w EK Full WB's| AX 1.2 kW | 900D - 1 x RX480 1 x EX360 & 1 x EX240 Rads w Noctua NF F & Corsair SP "Push" | W7 HP x64 | MK11: P25,113 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7499603 | Firestrike: 19,576 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1177627

• 1 month later...

Haha I posted this a month or 2 back and now Linus and Slick announced on the WAN show that they're doing a mineral oil PC build. I'm super pumped.

Thanks @Slick and @LinusTech

Water and oil cooling aren't really that important nowadays. Just get a Noctua NH-D14 or something for your CPU, and a non reference GPU if you want low temps.

Water and oil cooling aren't really that important nowadays. Just get a Noctua NH-D14 or something for your CPU, and a non reference GPU if you want low temps.

Waht?

Watercooling is becoming really really big right now. Just look at all the new AIOs that came out.

And then stuff like the G10 and the whole 295x2.

Air cooling is very good, i agree on that, but water gets cheaper and better all the time, especially with temperature based selfoverclocking graphics cards.

Oh, and on topic:

Where can i subscribe to see your project? ;)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Soooooo, this title is fairly self explanatory. I would like to make a super simple mineral oil cooled PC. (Easier said than done I know.)

I have a few year old DELL Optiplex desktop that I plan to be the sacrificial lamb so that I don't have to spend money on all new parts for this, especially because there's a high chance that I will mess up. 

My basic plan right now, is to completely disassemble the Dell Desktop and then basically drill a few holes in the side, use nut and bolt to attach the motherboard, then seal with some form of glue so it doesn't leak oil. Then just have everything else sort of rest inside the case. If I end up using the mechanical hard drive, I will keep it outside of the case (5 gallon fish tank), but if I invest in something small like a 60gb SSD, I'll probably store it inside the tank. This is clearly not going to be a gaming pc, but more of a cool project that I can show off later. :D

So my basic questions would be, do any of you fine ladies and gentleman have any tips for me before I embark on this adventure. (I.E. where to get about 5 gallons of cheap mineral oil, or if theres a certain kind I should use. Do's and Don'ts.) All help and tips, or comments telling me how dumb I am are all welcome. 

Thanks for all of your help in advance, I know this is probably the only forums I could take this to.

-Wubnaught

Ditch the mineral oil and use Flourintert or Novec 649,better performaing and doesnt eventually ruin the caps on the board.

Also,get the acrylic tank welded,not glued. You can weld it yourself with Tensol or equivalent wicking solvent.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Waht?

Watercooling is becoming really really big right now. Just look at all the new AIOs that came out.

And then stuff like the G10 and the whole 295x2.

Air cooling is very good, i agree on that, but water gets cheaper and better all the time, especially with temperature based selfoverclocking graphics cards.

Oh, and on topic:

Where can i subscribe to see your project? ;)

My build? I can make a guide if you like. Youtube or forum?

Also, by water cooling I meant loops. Unless you're using titans and an LGA2011 Xeon, loops aren't necessary for their price. AiOs are a different topic IMO, as they are very worth it

Yeah I've gone over this before, I'm not doing it for anything more than the nostalgia. I just frankly think it's really cool. I would never totally invest in brand new parts or anything for something like this nowadays.