U2 Spyplane causes massive air traffic control crash.

WhatTheQuack

Last week, a high altitude U2 Spyplane caused massive disruptions in US airspace after a 'software bug' meant that nearby air traffic control towers thought that the plane was flying at 10,000 feet, rather than its usual 70,000 feet. This meant that the air traffic control software had to calculate a safe route for the plane, which avoided hundreds of other aircraft in the area. This presumably impossible task caused the system to overload, and eventually crash, along with the backup system which failed for similar reasons. This resulted in hundreds of delayed flights.

Original article: http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/6/5686804/faa-says-spy-plane-caused-air-traffic-control-outage

But what of this is the USAF testing some kind of air traffic control jamming system...

Not sure if this is really tech news. Mods, feel free to delete this if you think it isn't

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

There will be backup systems, I doubt it would be must of a problem

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

There will be backup systems, I doubt it would be must of a problem

According to the article the backup systems also failed for a similar reason...

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

a jamming system dependent on overloading air traffic control towers is really stupid

during a war there will be no commercial airliners in air so this  doesnt really work out

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

According to the article the backup systems also failed for a similar reason...

Well then, what a piece of shit lol

Well I hope they sort it out and fix this error for the future

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

a jamming system dependent on overloading air traffic control towers is really stupid

during a war there will be no commercial airliners in air so this  doesnt really work out

you're right, but don't fighter jets (and other military aircraft) rely on air traffic control towers too?

My PC:

But what of this is the USAF testing some kind of air traffic control jamming system...

FOR F***S SAKE OP

I guess no one has ever heard of mechanical failures on aircraft. 

Do you know the window of acceptable speeds at operational altitude for the U-2 is about 5 km/h?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

FOR F***S SAKE OP

I guess no one has ever heard of mechanical failures on aircraft. 

Do you know the window of acceptable speeds at operational altitude for the U-2 is about 5 km/h?

I don't know if you noticed but I was paraphrasing the original article, this is not my opinion, so please don't take it out on me.

My PC:

I just know that I don't really like to fly anyway, so this might not affect me. xD

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

you're right, but don't fighter jets (and other military aircraft) rely on air traffic control towers too?

On war mission, they don't. At least I don't think an ATC would vector a bombing run on your own soil. lol

The one thing to consider is what caused the overload. An error on the information that the plane was sending to the ATC. If it was intentional, then mission accomplished. You don't need to overload your enemy's ATC but if your enemy's radar system thinks you're in a different place than really you are you do have an advantage. The important information isn't the overload on the system, is the misinformation sent to the system. With some technology like that you can even pretend you are a civil airplane, and in fact you are preparing to bomb the whole thing.

Anyway, I don't think the americans would test this on their own country. At least it would be really reckless...

I don't know if you noticed but I was paraphrasing the original article, this is not my opinion, so please don't take it out on me.

Sorry, conspiracy theories piss me off a lot. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

When all else fails, pen and paper. 

This could have been an intentional bug check. Now that we know there is a problem, the engineers and software programmers can fix such bugs from becoming an issue in the future.

Not jumping on the "conspiracy" band wagon, but merely a software glitch was found, that can now be fixed.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Apparently the issue was caused by a wrong input on the ATC end. I think it just happened to be a "spyplane" because there aren't many other planes that would fly at that altitude to allow for the input error.

I don't know how much you guys know about our Airspace system but it is in no way that automated. At best it caused planes to not get cleared because they couldn't input data but almost 100% of the work is done by people with the computer there only to log data and make it more quickly accessible to said controllers. There are still plenty of places where time is used to separate aircraft."Jamming" ATC is a joke because as long as we have radios we can do our job, just slightly less efficiently (20 miles separation vs 5) 

Also there is no magic "airtraffic control software". There are only people who tell the pilots what to do. There is currently NO direct data link from ATC to Planes meaning it can either be a data entry issue which also makes no sense or just radar scopes yelling at controllers because they had a plane to close to another one. .

Edit 1 Added second statement

Fucking Windows...

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Maybe they are still using Windows XP

that was a joke 

I meant Vista

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't know how much you guys know about our Airspace system but it is in no way that automated. At best it caused planes to not get cleared because they couldn't input data but almost 100% of the work is done by people with the computer there only to log data and make it more quickly accessible to said controllers. There are still plenty of places where time is used to separate aircraft."Jamming" ATC is a joke because as long as we have radios we can do our job, just slightly less efficiently (20 miles separation vs 5) 

Also there is no magic "airtraffic control software". There are only people who tell the pilots what to do. There is currently NO direct data link from ATC to Planes meaning it can either be a data entry issue which also makes no sense or just radar scopes yelling at controllers because they had a plane to close to another one. .

Edit 1 Added second statement

Thanks for this!

I don't know much about ATC systems, and apparently nether do The Verge! This is probably the best explanation as to what cause the delays, thanks!

My PC:

future warfare? B)

ninja techniques never fail :ph34r:

Details separate people.