Fx8320 high socket temp

Helo guys, ladies(?)

I got my new fx8320 processor but the difference between my core and socket temp is pretty big, usualy something like 20C to 15C. Now I have it at 4.0Ghz 1.188V and in prime95 the socket is at 60C and core 40C, room temp is about 24C. Has anyone else got this problem, or any solutions?

My other specs:

Asus M5A97 evo r2.0

Zalman cnps10x performa (using low rpm)

I have my sides on my case open so its a little cooler.

And on load my voltage dips to around 1.164v (llc on high).

For reading the temps I used aida64 and hwmonitor.

Oh and I also tried 4,5ghz on 1.32v but socket reaches 76c and it starts to throttle.

Im presuming you are reading the socket temp from Asus AI Suite, and the cpu temp from a program like HW monitor?

In any case, the socket temp usually measures the temp of the PCB around the socket, not the CPU cores themselves. Hence the 20 degree difference.

Helo guys, ladies(?)

I admire your enthusiasm 

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

Helo guys, ladies(?)

I got my new fx8320 processor but the difference between my core and socket temp is pretty big, usualy something like 20C to 15C. Now I have it at 4.0Ghz 1.188V and in prime95 the socket is at 60C and core 40C, room temp is about 24C. Has anyone else got this problem, or any solutions?

My other specs:

Asus M5A97 evo r2.0

Zalman cnps10x performa (using low rpm)

I have my sides on my case open so its a little cooler.

And on load my voltage dips to around 1.164v (llc on high).

For reading the temps I used aida64 and hwmonitor.

Oh and I also tried 4,5ghz on 1.32v but socket reaches 76c and it starts to throttle.

As isteelsolz said, this is pretty normal. The socket isn't being cooled by a massive heatsink. Therefore, higher temps.

Right now, my 8350 is sitting at about 28C, but my socket is around 45C. The FX 8 cores are big, and pull a ton of power. They heat things up.

As for solutions: if you want it cooler, you can either reduce the voltage or cool the case. More fans, faster fans, or fans more directed at the socket area.

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623

Oh, ok maybe I will put a fan on the back of my mobo or a small fan on the vrm area.

Thank you for your responses.

you're not going to get a very high clock with that board. slight oc is fine and if your core temp doesn't cross 60 degrees your socket is fine.

might be vrm throttling

I'm not sure about that specific board's vrm solution

but general rule of thumb on 8320/50s , highest core temp = 60 degrees

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

you're not going to get a very high clock with that board. slight oc is fine and if your core temp doesn't cross 60 degrees your socket is fine.

might be vrm throttling

I'm not sure about that specific board's vrm solution

but general rule of thumb on 8320/50s , highest core temp = 60 degrees

The EVO board as a 6+2 digital power phase and good quality heatsinked VRM's the OP is in for quite a ride if he wants too...carzy overclocks can be achieved no problemo with that mobo.

On a side note to OP : MAN you seem to have a golden chip my FX-8320 need about 1.425v to be stable at 4.6ghz...for 4.0ghz i'm looking at least a 1.35v...so you should get an hyper 212 and ramp

that thing up i'm sure this CPU will reach 5ghz with like 1.45v...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

High socket temps is mainly found with Asus boards.

Find a small 50-60mm chipset fan and put it so it blows on the back of the socket. It will lower socket temps a good bit. You can mount it to the CPU backplate.

High socket temps is mainly found with Asus boards.

Find a small 50-60mm chipset fan and put it so it blows on the back of the socket. It will lower socket temps a good bit. You can mount it to the CPU backplate.

I had to do this with my 8350 and Asus ma99fx board.