What Thermal Paste best for GPU?

IC Diamont 7, I love dat shtuff

Did I get a bad one or is it suppose to really thick?

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

I'm sure it varies on the temperature it was stored at that determines the viscosity of the paste.

I use arctic silver ceramique 2

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

i use arctic silver 5 on my 770, and after you let it cure it works great.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

Actually, I was just searching this stuff. It is suppose to be thicker then other ones which is why it doesn't need time to cure. I think I will get some IC Diamond 7 because I was looking for something a bit more thick and something that would go on consistently. It seems that people praise it for both of those things.

Would not recommend the ICD7 for the GPU die. The diamonds can scratch the die.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

Coollaboraty Liquid Ultra

4770k Delid @ 4.5Ghz/1.25V w/ NH-D15, Maximus VII Hero, HyperX Beast 8GB 1600Mhz, GTX770 DCII OC, Strider Gold S 750W, 120GB 840 EVO, 2TB Barracuda, No case : D

Quickfire TK (MX Brown), Naos 7000, 128GB Surface Pro 2, 32GB G2 With Lightning Rom V4

This. If you want the best stuff, then this is really what you need to be looking at, although I'd probably only have need of it if I ever de-lidded and would place it under my IHS to replace the old thermal paste under there.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

This. If you want the best stuff, then this is really what you need to be looking at, although I'd probably only have need of it if I ever de-lidded and would place it under my IHS to replace the old thermal paste under there.

I have it between die and IHS in my delidded i7 4770k and also between the IHS and the CPU cooler. On top of that I have it in my GTX770 DirectCUII, it seriosly is the best :D 

4770k Delid @ 4.5Ghz/1.25V w/ NH-D15, Maximus VII Hero, HyperX Beast 8GB 1600Mhz, GTX770 DCII OC, Strider Gold S 750W, 120GB 840 EVO, 2TB Barracuda, No case : D

Quickfire TK (MX Brown), Naos 7000, 128GB Surface Pro 2, 32GB G2 With Lightning Rom V4

I have it between die and IHS in my delidded i7 4770k and also between the IHS and the CPU cooler. On top of that I have it in my GTX770 DirectCUII, it seriosly is the best :D

How many heart-attacks did you suffer through when de-lidding?

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

How many heart-attacks did you suffer through when de-lidding?

Haha I was pretty relaxed because I knew what I was doing but yeah I guess everyone gets a small heart-attack when they do it :P Used a razor blade myself. http://imgur.com/a/9qomf

Haha I was pretty relaxed because I knew what I was doing but yeah I guess everyone gets a small heart-attack when they do it :P Used a razor blade myself.

Do you think a Stanley knife (box cutter) could do it, or is it too thick?

I've practised on two old chips, then I realised that they're both soldered on...

Also, did use anything to stick the IHS back on? Or did you just let the bracket on the motherboard keep it in place?

Do you think a Stanley knife (box cutter) could do it, or is it too thick?

I've practised on two old chips, then I realised that they're both soldered on...

Also, did use anything to stick the IHS back on? Or did you just let the bracket on the motherboard keep it in place?

I guess it would work if its just thin enough. And yeah just the bracket, holds it nicely in place

Actually, I was just searching this stuff. It is suppose to be thicker then other ones which is why it doesn't need time to cure. I think I will get some IC Diamond 7 because I was looking for something a bit more thick and something that would go on consistently. It seems that people praise it for both of those things.

Is it suppose to be as thick as clay?

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Lol no.. It's conductive and you have to replace it every year or so.

Well, let me find out here when I use it right now. I don't know how thick you are talking about. The viscosity it suppose to be high (aka it's thick).

Lol no.. It's conductive and you have to replace it every year or so.

But the question was whats the best thermal paste, I'm pretty sure its one of the best in performance but certainly not the safest or most effortless :) But then again I don't know if he wanted to know the best performer or the one that is best  in overall 

Just to give you a heads up. Before use boil a kettle and place the whole tube (closed obv) into a cup of warm water for a few mins. This will heat the temp of the paste up and it will be more like Arctic Silver and will spread easily.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Just to give you a heads up. Before use boil a kettle and place the whole tube (closed obv) into a cup of warm water for a few mins. This will heat the temp of the paste up and it will be more like Arctic Silver and will spread easily.

that's going to help a ton.. I was never able to get a decent spread without nearly stapping the motherboard.

that's going to help a ton.. I was never able to get a decent spread without nearly stapping the motherboard.

You really should not spread thermal paste in the first place. Place a blob in the middle and let the block spread it. Heating the paste up will also help with this :)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

You really should not spread thermal paste in the first place. Place a blob in the middle and let the block spread it. Heating the paste up will also help with this :)

I meant that getting it to spread on the dye took a bunch of pressure from the heatsink.