What is slowing down my sisters pc?

Go to solution Solved by Cubit481,

Finding a budget board is hard. The h81 chipset only supports PCIE 2 and the price difference isn't that much. Most reviews I kind find online are in Languages, that I do not understand. 

(An hour later)

The ASUS B85M-E seems to be the best board I could find. I used Newegg to get some reviews and now I know why to not get a Asrock board. What do you think of the Asus?

i have used asus in almost my every rig..and asus makes really great mobos...trust me on that...and pcie 2.0 will not at all slow ur gpu...the gpu that we have now cant even utilize all the x16 lanes of pcie 2.0...so no problem in that...u can get asus h81m-k...

heres the link...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132052

So my sister has a:

Intel Pentium D805 @2.66Ghz Dual Core

2gb of ram

ATI Radeon 3650 OC 800Mhz

and a almost new SATA HDD out of a Macbook Pro

Windows 7

She just uses it for youtube, but it is slow. Would a new GPU, like a 750Ti Help?

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

It could be malware, though fast is relative.

No, all clean with up to date drivers.

The CPU, the 2gb of ram, the graphics card

Ok, is was kind of expecting this answer :D

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Being that it's old, it could be a plethora of things. Mostly software related.

Such as, it being boggled down with years of Windows Updates, programs, files, malware, etcetc.

Reformat it and it should fix it - since all she does is YouTube.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

You should probably trash that thing before putting in a 750ti.

Or I can give it to my grandma. She got a Nokia 100 and every time she has to unlock it with "Unlock and #" she says it is way to fast for her. 

Normally I would not do this (I am not a AMD fan at all), but wouldn't a AMD Apu be perfect for her?

The 750ti would laugh at it if you tried to use it. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

Or I can give it to my grandma. She got a Nokia 100 and every time she has to unlock it with "Unlock and #" she says it is way to fast for her. 

Normally I would not do this (I am not a AMD fan at all), but wouldn't a AMD Apu be perfect for her?

Get a low end AMD APU and you should be good. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

Being that it's old, it could be a plethora of things. Mostly software related.

Such as, it being boggled down with years of Windows Updates, programs, files, malware, etcetc.

Reformat it and it should fix it - since all she does is YouTube.

It was reinstalled a few month ago. 

A dual core for youtube shouldn't have issues. But the way things are now 2gb of ram wouldn't cut it. Upgrade the ram, get a better GPU and scan for malware. In cases like these I'd rather reinstall Windows.

It was reinstalled a few month ago. 

Well, that's quite odd.. and how long has it been since it worked fine; or, at least, without her noticing the slowdown as much?

Definitely.

Something like a 760K maybe.

Well, that's quite odd.. and how long has it been since it worked fine; or, at least, without her noticing the slowdown as much?

It was "slow" from the beginning. It isn't super slow, it is just a bit slow. On my PC, I click on a video and it runs. Her pc has to think about it for a few seconds.

It was "slow" from the beginning. It isn't super slow, it is just a bit slow. On my PC, I click on a video and it runs. Her pc has to think about it for a few seconds.

Then there's over a 90% chance it's the CPU.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that machine for YouTube. Tho it is quite dated to be running a heavy OS like Windows 7. Install Lubuntu 14.04 (final release in 2 days) on it and watch it fly. If that's all she does is surf the web, running Linux will spring new life back into the machine while keeping her much safer online.

Almost 5gb for me  :lol:

About 512MB for me. Swap included. Vista FTW. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I had a similar issue with my Athlonx2 5200+ 2gb of DDR2 and 7770 my system ate that 2gb of ran for breakfast, I put in 4Gb and it ran just fine, then I upgraded to a Phenon x4 9850 on the same board because I was having trouble with latency in Dota 2 that didn't help, turns out my internet chipset is wonky and old and I'll probalby need an intel solution to fix it.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

And OP, video card BLOWS, 2GB of RAM isn't enough. CPU is okay.... But a Core 2 Duo E7200 or E7500 would be a nice little boost.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Stupid windows 7..

:P heheheheheheh Evil Vista.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

:P heheheheheheh Evil Vista.

Whenever I'm reminded of Vista I just think back to those Apple advertisements... they were pretty funny