Tips for android newbie

fc0712

Hey just got an Samsung Galaxy S5 and was wondering if you guys have some tips and tricks to get started on android

both regarding settings and apps which are useful :)

i disable the gps all the time. exept when using. 

i really like the My Data Manager, to monitor internet usage and warn me when i run out

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

You have to do nothing with it!!.. 

did i said "NOTHING" ???  :P  :P

No no.

Get Clean Master app, use that every time for Faster performance and it removes Unwanted files,

Get some Social apps and start Enjoying you new #GS5

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Ignore any app that claims to speed up your device, ram clean up apps actually hurt battery, and disable Samsung features you don't need, that's the biggest help. 

@coen113 i think disabling GPS will not allow you find the lost device via Android Device Manger,

So i recommend enabling GPS will cost you nothing other than Battery charge  :P ..

besides #GS5 got good Battery backup!.. 

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Disable all the apps you won't use. Especially S Voice, disabling that increases the responsiveness of the home button.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Hey just got an Samsung Galaxy S5 and was wondering if you guys have some tips and tricks to get started on android

both regarding settings and apps which are useful :)

u may also want to install an app locker for all ur personal stuff like pics, music, contacts etc. whatever u want to hide from ur friends or colleagues...if u want... :)

Ignore any app that claims to speed up your device, ram clean up apps actually hurt battery, and disable Samsung features you don't need, that's the biggest help. 

yes, RAM cleaning isn't too good, but storage cleaning is, it keeps your device feeling smooth and fast.

I have a One with Cyanogenmod. I'll just make a list of the not standard root and non-root apps that I use. I've played around with my phone for quite a while, and I think this could give you a good place to start.

Non-root:

1. Aldiko (ebooks)
  2. Chrome Beta
  3. Clean master
  4. Evernote
  5. Flow (reddit)
  6. GalleryNext
  7. Keep (google note taking)
  8. Kingsoft Office (word,excel,etc)
  9. Nova Launcher (replacement launcher)
  10. Plex (media server)
  11. Pushbullet (push notifications to and from computer)
  12. QR Code Reader
  13. Speedtest
  14. Swiftkey
  15. Tasker (android automation)
  16. Teamviewer (remote PC controlling)
  17. UberSync for facebook (pulls pictures and info for my contact list from FB)
  18. Wifi Analyzer

Root required:

1. AdAway
  2. BusyBox free
  3. CacheMate
  4. CPU tuner
  5. File Manager
  6. Secure Settings
  7. SuperSU
  8. Terminal Emulator
  9. Titanium Backup (my god if you root your phone, please purchase this. Saved my butt many times.)

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

@coen113 i think disabling GPS will not allow you find the lost device via Android Device Manger,

So i recommend enabling GPS will cost you nothing other than Battery charge  :P ..

besides #GS5 got good Battery backup!.. 

You don't have to enable GPS for that. There are other location settings in there for that where even if you disable GPS you can find your phone through ADM.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

swiftkey is must. I would recommend rooting and custom rom after you feel more comfortable with your phone. Much cleaner, faster, and better battery life. 

I too upgraded to the Galaxy S5 but i am a veteran touchwiz user so I have got place to go to that i know how to use and has already been integrated well in my life.

The apps i recommend are LINE or Kakaotalk for messaging and free VOIP calls to people who are in your contact list. This means that you can use data instead of minutes as long as you have unlimited data you've got unlimited calling power internationally.

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

Get Greenify. You don't have to be rooted to use it anymore, which is awesome. Great app for helping you save battery life, which you definitely need, especially on a device with the manufacturer's ROM on it. 

COMIC SANS

I was wondering if you guys use some apps to enable notifications on the lock screen?

I was wondering if you guys use some apps to enable notifications on the lock screen?

I see it as more of a security hole to do that. Then again, I also have a pebble for the same purpose.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ