5970 problems with fullscreen

PutuLips

Hiya, so yeah I'm still sporting an old 5970  :rolleyes: . I haven't really got a compelling reason nor the money to get a new GPU, unfortunately, though the 650Ti looks very tempting... Anyways:

When going fullscreen in every game while crossfire (between the two GPUs on the board, not a second card) is enabled causes these absolutely abysmal artefacts on the monitor. Crossfire only works in fullscreen applications, which I assume is why only fullscreen starts glitching, however I would like to know the cause of crossfire causing these artefacts. It's not overheating (~75c under load).

Anyone experienced this before and have any clue as to what this is or maybe a solution?

Here is a video: sorry for cam, msi afterburner probably wouldn't record the artefacts.

http://youtu.be/AMgbiFZklXk

Thanks

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

Don't use fullscreen?

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

Hiya, so yeah I'm still sporting an old 5970  :rolleyes: . I haven't really got a compelling reason nor the money to get a new GPU, unfortunately, though the 650Ti looks very tempting... Anyways:

When going fullscreen in every game while crossfire (between the two GPUs on the board, not a second card) is enabled causes these absolutely abysmal artefacts on the monitor. Crossfire only works in fullscreen applications, which I assume is why only fullscreen starts glitching, however I would like to know the cause of crossfire causing these artefacts. It's not overheating (~75c under load).

Anyone experienced this before and have any clue as to what this is or maybe a solution?

Here is a video: sorry for cam, msi afterburner probably wouldn't record the artefacts.

http://youtu.be/AMgbiFZklXk

Thanks

Have you overclocked your card in anyway, if so downclock it to stock. If not then it could be one of the gpus are dying, besides a 650 Ti will be kind of a downgrade.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

• 2 weeks later...

I actually just got myself one of these cards yesterday! (go me) I noticed that I had some artifacts on my screen after bumping the clock up a bit in AMD's Catalyst Control Center. Here is how I solved it (if your problem is something different, this may not work for you)

1: open CCC

2: on the left of the window, select the Performance tab

3: go to AMD Overdrive, then select Configure Graphics Overdrive(should be the bottom thing on the page)

4: at the bottom of this page, select the Default button, then Apply. You will have to do this with BOTH GPUs! (switch between the two using the drop-down menu at the top of the page)

5: You're done!

If this helps, then awesome. If not, the only other things I think your problem might be is either the second GPU is going out, the internal Crossfire bridge has become damaged or worn out, OR, and this IS a possibility, it could just be dirty. I've seen dust do a lot of weird things to graphics cards. Take a can of air and give it a VERY thorough cleaning.

Edit: Also check your power supply. These cards take a fair bit of juice, and if your PSU is getting up there in the times (like our GPUs) then it might be time to get a new one of those. Just be sure to test it first. No need to buy another expensive piece of hardware if you don't need to.

CPU FX 8350 OCed to 4.7GHz  Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4 RAM 8 Gigs (2x4Gigs) PNY 1600  GPU Sapphire R9 280  Case Fractal Design Define S  Storage Seagate - 1TB Internal, WD Blue 250Gb PSU Thermaltake Smart 'M' Series 850 watt modular PSU.  Display(s) (Right now) AOC 22" 69V Series 6ms response time IPS monitor  Cooling 2 Fractal Design Case Fans, CPU cooled by Cryorig H5 Ultimate  Keyboard Razer Black Widow (2013) Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma

yea, more data will help to see the problem more clear

how many monitors ?

1080p?

PSU watts ?

cpu ?

games you use ?

stock numbers of the 5970 vram and gpu ? (a gpu-z will help here)

and well, at the end... we need keep in mind that is a old card (with years of OC on she) and...

it maybe the time to "underclock" this 5970 (to stabilize the performance)

and try a Valley run (on Extreme HD)