Google Glass available on 15th [Limited(?)]

AlexGoesHigh

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/10/5601464/for-one-day-google-will-let-anyone-in-the-us-buy-glass

"Google is about to make its biggest push yet to get Glass in the hands of as many people as possible. The Verge has obtained documents indicating that the company will open up its "Explorer Program" and make Glass available to anyone who wants to purchase a pair, possibly as soon as next week. It’ll be a limited-time offer, only available for about a day, and only US residents will be eligible to purchase the $1,500 device. Google will also include a free sunglass shade or one of its newly-introduced prescription glasses frames along with any purchase. An internal Google slide shows that the promotion may be announced on April 15th, though all the details of this program have yet to be finalized.

Glass_Slide_full.png

While this program will make Glass available to anyone in the US who wants to buy it, Google makes it clear on the leaked slide that this is an expansion of its existing Explorer program, not a full consumer release (still expected for later in 2014). It sounds like Google simply wants to get the device in the hands of as many people as possible for testing and development purposes ahead of that launch. Alternately, it could be Google's way of clearing out Explorer edition stock ahead of the full consumer launch.

A BIG PUSH FOR GLASS AHEAD OF ITS EVENTUAL CONSUMER RELEASE

Previous implementations of the Glass Explorer program have come with limitations of their own — Google first started accepting pre-orders for the device nearly two years ago at Google I/O 2012. That brought in about 2,000 orders, and another 8,000 people got their hands on a pair through a wider promotion later that year in which consumers told Google what they would do if they had their own Glass headset. Since then, Google has made Glass available through some smaller campaigns as well as opening up friend referrals and an ongoing waitlist to become an Explorer — but this new program could symbolize Google’s last major effort to ramp up the developer community ahead of the official Glass launch."

whoever wants one of these, this is your chance also the verge has a good source inside google, first android TV and now this

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

i read it as Grass

anyways 10 days until u know what

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It wasn't already released to the public??? Ohhhhhh......

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It would be nice if we got a discount on the price that day. x.x

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

For a second, I thought it was going to say that they were making it affordable for everyone in the US could buy.... Can only dream :(

It wasn't already released to the public??? Ohhhhhh......

you needed an invite send directly by google before

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

you needed an invite send directly by google before

That explains a lot. I thought the title was supposed to say that Google wouldn't let ANYONE in the US buy it for a day. xD

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That explains a lot. I thought the title was supposed to say that Google wouldn't let ANYONE in the US buy it for a day. xD

wat, how did you read the title like that 0.o

wat, how did you read the title like that 0.o

I don't even know... I need to go see a professional. xD

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Is this a way to get Google Glass out to more people, or a way to stress-test the Google servers?  I forecast a massive crash of the store...

Am I correct in remembering that they stated the consumer version will be much cheaper than the explorer edition, or is my brain just making shit up again?

Is this a way to get Google Glass out to more people, or a way to stress-test the Google servers?  I forecast a massive crash of the store...

i'm sure google has the capacity to hold even if the whole world goes to their page at the same time, i think whats gonna happen, is that will get oversold

i'm sure google has the capacity to hold even if the whole words goes to their page at the same time, i think whats gonna happen, is that will get oversold

I also thought about the overselling... because I figure that someone would end up buying 100 or 1000 units just to re-sell them at higher price.  Then again, there is probably going to be a quantity limit.  But even still, some people are determined to possess as many as possible, and making unique accounts is not going to stop these people. :P

I also thought about the overselling... because I figure that someone would end up buying 100 or 1000 units just to re-sell them at higher price.  Then again, there is probably going to be a quantity limit.  But even still, some people are determined to possess as many as possible, and making unique accounts is not going to stop these people. :P

reminded me about miners and their fetish whit radeon cards

Anyone in the U.S. with $1500 and the will to walk around in public with a computer on his or her face will be able to sign up to do just that next Tuesday. Google announced on Thursday afternoon that it would offer a "limited" sale of Glass starting on April 15 at 9 a.m.

Our Explorers are moms, bakers, surgeons, rockers, and each new Explorer has brought a new perspective that is making Glass better. But every day we get requests from those of you who haven’t found a way into the program yet, and we want your feedback too. So in typical Explorer Program fashion, we’re trying something new.  

Personally despite my love of AR i still think Google Glass suffers from many problems [battery Life!] and $1500 is definitely still nowhere within the pricerange of a 'average consumer oriented product'

Nonetheless whoever missed the first chance previously can opt in for this now. Hopefully someone on LTT can grab one and give everybody a nice review :P

Personally despite my love of AR i still think Google Glass suffers from many problems [battery Life!] and $1500 is definitely still nowhere within the pricerange of a 'average consumer oriented product'

Nonetheless whoever missed the first chance previously can opt in for this now. Hopefully someone on LTT can grab one and give everybody a nice review :P

A guy at the Microcenter near me let me try them, they're not even worth 500 let alone 1500. I'd pay maybe 300$ for something like that.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A guy at the Microcenter near me let me try them, they're not even worth 500 let alone 1500. I'd pay maybe 300$ for something like that.

Interesting to note! I doubt i'll have any chance to try them out soon since i'm all the way in Singapore :/

$1500 is definitely insane, for a wearable with such simple features i think $200 to $300 is about the sweet spot like you said

Interesting to note! I doubt i'll have any chance to try them out soon since i'm all the way in Singapore :/

the best way to describe it, is like.. when you notice something in your peripheral vision and you focus on it, it's just in range where it doesn't cause a headache or feel too far, but it's not the most comfortable or best experience.

I'll be glad to see technology like this develop more and I'll look into buying it, I'd give it 10 years time. Maybe a little sooner, but the price has to be right, affording it is different from buying something where you could spend better money else where.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source

Didnt Linus already make a review of glass? 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

I'll take 2.

One for each eye!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I'll take 2.

One for each eye!

I'll take a scouter.

One for over 9000.

Source

$1500 is definitely still nowhere within the pricerange of a 'average consumer oriented product'

Ugh I have a few hundred dollars as of today and I'd really like Google Glass. Problem is whenever I do get the money for it, should I contribute that for a $2500 computer, Google Glass, or an arcade game that I could use to gain money off of my family? 

I'm trying to learn, please don't get frustrated with me.  I'll do my best.