Intel quietly enables Quicksync on Select Celeron and Pentium processors, bigger than you think.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23639/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3412_64.pdf
Recently, and without any fanfare, Intel enabled quicksync video for select Celeron and Pentium processors.

Supported processors include:

Intel® Celeron® Processor™|| Intel® Pentium® Processor™2957U                     || 3558U 2961Y }Mobile             || 3561Y } Intel® "Ultrabook™ "                          ||2981U                     || G3220G1820                     || G3220T G1820T  }Desktop          || G3320TE }DesktopG1820TE                   || G3420G1830                     || G3420T                          || G3430With"Intel® HD Graphics™ "|| With "Intel® HD Graphics™ "

With a quick search on wikipedia, this would appear to consist of some, but not all of intel's Desktop and Mobile Haswell line of Pentium and Celeron CPUs.

Quick Sync takes advantage of a combination of custom ASIC and GPU components of all intel Core i5 and higher processors, and select i3 and below processors. Quicksync allows for Decoding and Encoding of h264 video as well as a variety of other formats. Haswell Quicksync has reported to be of better quality compared to X264 "Very Fast" Presets, and includes other, slower presets which rival x264 "Medium" quality, and can be encoded with little to no direct CPU performance impact.

(for those wondering, shadowplay is not even comparable http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=28254, it adds so many artifacts it might as well be x264 "ultrafast". Plus, we are talking in the context of cheap media setups)

This is bigger than you might think:

17-times-faster-quick-sync-video-infogra<Vague intel marketing, on intel website, but pictures look nice, so I wanted to include a picture.
Firstly, Quicksync allows for multiple HD streams of video playback, which is excellent for barebones HTPC devices.
Secondly, and more interestingly, Quicksync allows for very inexpensive Video recording and Streaming hardware. A twitch streamers entire streaming setup could consist of the lowest end Haswell Celeron.

For example, the Celeron G1820 costs $49.99 on most online retailers ie Newegg. Lets say someone is into speedrunning, but doesn't have the nessecary equipment to start streaming.
For decent video quality, they would have at least required either a powerful i5 to spare the CPU for other tasks, or an i3 with HD Graphics 2500. These cost at least $120.
The streamer could now save $70 on the processor, which could go to other resources, such as a capture card.

So while this driver might not mean much to many, it will mean a lot to some, especially those looking to jump into the Media PC, Streaming PC or low-storage Video Capture game with a semidecent, very low cost solution.

I can see it being useful but couldn't you also use a Geforce card to do the same thing? I think that twitch streaming is either on the way or already implemented(I don't pay close attention to that stuff since I don't care).

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I think quicksync is actually faster than Nvidia and AMD graphics cards at rendering. So this is really good. (i might be wrong, please correct me if I am)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Got to love intel for not making a big song and dance about everything they do..

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Updated with some research, Haswell quicksync actually compares to x264 "veryfast" and even "fast"-"medium", with Included screenshot comparison to shadowplay, which looks awful by the way.

I didn't want to compare shadowplay with quicksync, as I was talking in the context of low-cost media solutions. But there you go, it looks far better than shadowplay, which you should never use unless you want to make your video look like an old oil painting.

Got to love intel for not making a big song and dance about everything they do..

That's why they have that rapper of course. (Forgot who it was)

coolkingler1, on 27 Feb 2014 - 4:46 PM, said:

That's why they have that rapper of course. (Forgot who it was)

To be fair every company should have a rapper...

Probably someone like Ice-t, Ice-Cube, Coolio, LL Cool J or the like because their processors run so cool yo!

that is all the rappers I know..

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I think quicksync is actually faster than Nvidia and AMD graphics cards at rendering. So this is really good. (i might be wrong, please correct me if I am)

Not sure about pure encoding, but it was (at least when Sandy Bridge was announced) faster at transcoding. One of the reasons for that was because it was so much faster at decoding.

For archiving movies, you should still use x264 (higher quality). For streaming and such Intel QuickSync is great though. How if only Steam's in-home streaming could use it...

Fuck apus, i fed up of people recommending the 6400k when it struggles with youtube 1080p, and some youtube vids have 2160p now.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Would like to see quicksync support in a LOT more applications... NOW. I have shadowplay and its brilliant.. The only issue isn't with quicksync or shadowplay.. Its my damn slow upload speed... Australia.. Fix it!

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Not sure who would use a low end processor for rendering...

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Not sure who would use a low end processor for rendering...

It means rendering is now a viable option on Ultrabooks. I'm not sure how powerful it will be, but maybe it can replace those efiting rigs some YouTubers took with them to CES.

• 4 weeks later...

finding this thread gives me new hope to getting an answer to a question i've had for weeks...im in the market for a cpu and im curious as to whether the celeron g1820 has the same "haswell" intel hd graphics as the pentium "haswell" intel hd graphics. it seems true identification is few and far between and the info i do find is conflicting. specifically, i would like to know where the g1820 fits into this chart. in my quest for these answers i have posted to many forums, and most of the answers i have recieved have been that it shares the same gpu as the haswell pentiums. then i find this, which shows that it only has 6 EUs???.....does ANYONE really know?

To be fair every company should have a rapper...

Probably someone like Ice-t, Ice-Cube, Coolio, LL Cool J or the like because their processors run so cool yo!

that is all the rappers I know..

My company has a big conference every year... last year i guess they got Flo Rida to play a concert at night. Still trying to figure out why they even wanted him to play at a convention about ERP solutions and financial management software.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

It is. Linus did a video about it years ago.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking