Maximus vi formula - Onboard audio or sound card?

Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of buying the Maximus vi formula and I was wondering whether I should use the onboard audio or to buy a dedicated sound card. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Well what is your audio set up?

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Are you buying the motherboard because of the onboard audio or is that an extra perk? What is your budget? An alternative to a soundcard or fancy onboard audio would be an external DAC and amp. Just my 2 cents.

What headphones are you running dude?

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

@Vague & @Kayn: I'm using the Steelseries 7H headphones but most of the time I'm using Logitech Z506 5.1 surround speakers.

P.S: I know you probably have something to say about the headphone/speakers but they're not the issue.

The issue is whether the on-board audio on the Maximus VI formula is as good as a desecrate sound card or should I buy a cheaper MB and a sound card (Xonar or something like that).

Since your end points aren't all that great, the onboard will be move then powerful enough

@Vague & @Kayn: I'm using the Steelseries 7H headphones but most of the time I'm using Logitech Z506 5.1 surround speakers.

P.S: I know you probably have something to say about the headphone/speakers but they're not the issue.

The issue is whether the on-board audio on the Maximus VI formula is as good as a desecrate sound card or should I buy a cheaper MB and a sound card (Xonar or something like that).

I think the onboard sound will be great for your needs.  Out of curiosity though, why are you interested in the formula over the hero? They have the same soundchip and the extra $100 is essentially only for the armour and water cooling capibility

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

Word of advice, the end points in a audio chain are the most important. More important than the amp, dac, or file type.

That onboard audio will be more than enough for what you need.

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

+1 for onboard, it won't cost you a cent and you can always upgrade everything in your audio solution later if your not happy.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Thank you everyone for your help. I'll be sure to post a Vlog of my build!  :)

@Skylark: I'm planning to use the liquid cooling options and maybe even wc the chipset. I know it's not needed but I can & it looks awesome  B)

Here is the thing about the Formula VI cooling solution on the VRM. It isn't made of copper, so it may cause corrosion. I am not a water cooling expert, but that was my concern. 

@raxx: I know that, I'm planning to get a custom waterblock from EK. The thing is whether I should get the "Hero", it's waterblock and a sound card, or the "Formula", it's waterblock and use the onboard sound.