High end passive cooled system?

I'm planning to upgrade to an 8086K soon, and as I'm a bit of a silence freak I thought it could be cool to try and passively cool the entire system. No fans or moving parts anywhere in the build, besides the HDD of course. How feasible do you guys reckon this is?

• In an ideal world I'd have the 8086K at 5GHz across all cores, so I'd already need a delid to get good temps on most regular coolers. I'm currently considering the Scythe Ninja 5 heatsink, beefiest thing I've found so far. Maybe look for a specifically good binned chip and do some heavy undervolting?
  • In terms of the GPU, I have a 1070 (Galax HOF) so the TDP exceeds the max of the Arctic Accelero S3. Maybe Accelero Xtreme IV or Scythe Setsugen with fans removed? Undervolting on this too most likely.
  • Case would probably be a Meshify C, but I have been eyeing the SIlent Base 801, which I'm pretty sure would only add to my temperature troubles lol.

Pauls Hardware is doing his HTPC passively cooled and used a beefy passive cooler, but doubt it will fit in your Meshify C.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Pauls Hardware is doing his HTPC passively cooled and used a beefy passive cooler, but doubt it will fit in your Meshify C.

Yeah I saw this video when it first came out, and the cooler didn't suuuuper impress me. It can keep an R7 1700 just below 80°C at stock sure, but that's a pretty efficient CPU that already runs at good temps. I'm pretty sure an overclocked 8086K would melt it. Not to mention it's hideous =P

1 minute ago, Leinad4400 said:

Yeah I saw this video when it first came out, and the cooler didn't suuuuper impress me. It can keep an R7 1700 just below 80°C at stock sure, but that's a pretty efficient CPU that already runs at good temps. I'm pretty sure an overclocked 8086K would melt it. Not to mention it's hideous =P

sadly, I think you are going to be severely limited by A) your case, the Meshify C is not a deep case so not sure if it can support a large passive cooler and B) as you said, overclocking will introduce even more heat that any passive cooler would likely struggle to keep up with. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

sadly, I think you are going to be severely limited by A) your case, the Meshify C is not a deep case so not sure if it can support a large passive cooler and B) as you said, overclocking will introduce even more heat that any passive cooler would likely struggle to keep up with. 

Yeah the Meshify C wouldn't be the best pick for beefy heatsinks. Mainly considering it for the open mesh, cause I need some passive airflow. Silent Base 801 would fit every need perfectly except said airflow.

Just now, Leinad4400 said:

Yeah the Meshify C wouldn't be the best pick for beefy heatsinks. Mainly considering it for the open mesh, cause I need some passive airflow. Silent Base 801 would fit every need perfectly except said airflow.

Truthfully, a large case that would probably fit your needs would be the CoolerMaster H500 mesh edition, it has 2 silent 200mm fans in front for intake and has a very large depth for tower coolers. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Truthfully, a large case that would probably fit your needs would be the CoolerMaster H500 mesh edition, it has 2 silent 200mm fans in front for intake and has a very large depth for tower coolers. 

Not a big fan of the H500P's looks, and having fans defeats the purpose of going fanless. If I wanted silent fans I'd just buy a bunch of Noctuas or Silent Wings 3s and slap them on my CPU/GPU.

well it'll sit on the desktop just fine provided windows update isn't running

1 minute ago, Leinad4400 said:

Not a big fan of the H500P's looks, and having fans defeats the purpose of going fanless. If I wanted silent fans I'd just buy a bunch of Noctuas or Silent Wings 3s and slap them on my CPU/GPU.

then maybe look at an open case design like some of the ones thermal take offers... I think having a closed case like that, regardless of passive ventilation will cause it to hot box anyways with zero air flow movement, the air will just stagnate around the CPU and GPU. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

then maybe look at an open case design like some of the ones thermal take offers... I think having a closed case like that, regardless of passive ventilation will cause it to hot box anyways with zero air flow movement, the air will just stagnate around the CPU and GPU. 

Yeah that's definitely a route I could go, closed cases are a big limiter. I'd have to find heatsinks that could actually take the heat in the first place though, which is what I'm stuck on right now. Not really obsessed enough to custom machine one lol.

The Meshify C and Silent Base 801 aren't good for passive cooling and you're better off with an open test bench style case for passive cooling.

If you're going to use a hdd and they're not soft-mounting 2.5" drives, there's no point aiming for passive cooling since the drives would still be substantially louder than quiet fans. 

A passive heatsink like the Accelero S3 is rated at 135w and that's with help from case fans. It barely cools a 1060 passively at 97c running FurMark.

The Ninja 5 is more dense and probably much worse than the HR-02 Macho or Heligon HE02 for passive cooling which both fail to cool an i7-965 at 1.2v

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1349-page5.html

The NoFan CR-95C in the same review seems to perform slightly better than the NH-L9i at a 54c rise vs 56c so it'd be enough with undervolting but not in a case and definitely not for 5ghz.

The CR100A would be a bit better but I still doubt it's enough for 5ghz.

I'd recommend just going with very quiet fans instead. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The Meshify C and Silent Base 801 aren't good for passive cooling and you're better off with an open test bench style case for passive cooling.

If you're going to use a hdd and they're not soft-mounting 2.5" drives, there's no point aiming for passive cooling since the drives would still be substantially louder than quiet fans. 

A passive heatsink like the Accelero S3 is rated at 135w and that's with help from case fans. It barely cools a 1060 passively at 97c running FurMark.

The Ninja 5 is more dense and probably much worse than the HR-02 Macho or Heligon HE02 for passive cooling which both fail to cool an i7-965 at 1.2v

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1349-page5.html

The NoFan CR-95C in the same review seems to perform slightly better than the NH-L9i at a 54c rise vs 56c so it'd be enough with undervolting but not in a case and definitely not for 5ghz.

The CR100A would be a bit better but I still doubt it's enough for 5ghz.

I'd recommend just going with very quiet fans instead. 

Thanks for the info. I'm aware it'd be far easier to get quiet fans, but I'm still keen to try and go passive. HDD noise is a bridge that I can cross pretty easily when I get to it, so I'm not concerned about that. The Accelero S3 is too weak, yeah. I ordered a Raijintek Morpheus II, which has a 360W TDP (with two 120mm fans mounted) but according to a reddit post was able to keep a 980 Ti just below max temp with only case fans. The 980 Ti is a 250W card, whereas the 1070 is a 150W, so I thought it'd be worth a shot.

CPU is gonna be a whole new issue. Most promising one I've found so far is the Raijintek Ereboss, but that one is also pretty dense so it might not passively cool well. I might have to give up the 5GHz dream.

14 hours ago, Leinad4400 said:

The Accelero S3 is too weak, yeah. I ordered a Raijintek Morpheus II, which has a 360W TDP (with two 120mm fans mounted) but according to a reddit post was able to keep a 980 Ti just below max temp with only case fans. The 980 Ti is a 250W card, whereas the 1070 is a 150W, so I thought it'd be worth a shot.

CPU is gonna be a whole new issue. Most promising one I've found so far is the Raijintek Ereboss, but that one is also pretty dense so it might not passively cool well. I might have to give up the 5GHz dream.

Considering the location of the case fans in the system mentioned in the reddit post, it's not much different than just having the fans on the heatsink itself. It's still much more cooling than a truly passive system.

The Morpheus II is more dense and is probably worse at passive cooling than the Accelero S3. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Maybe you could try to make a custom build and take the heat outside the case with some heatpipes? 
You can use gravity to your advantage - or just have a pump (which does not make noise almost at all?)

i7-8086K, Strix Z370E-Gaming, G.Skill Trident 32gb 3000MHZ CL 14, Strix 1080 Ti OC, Corsair HX1000i, Obsidian 1000D, Corsair Hydro X custom loop, 13x Corsair LL120, Corsair Lighting Node Pro, 2x SSD Adata SU800 3DNand - 1tb and 128gb, 1Tb WD Blue, Cable Mod Full Cable Kit, Monitor Asus XG27VQ 144Mhz Curved

On 11/26/2018 at 6:20 PM, Enochian said:

Maybe you could try to make a custom build and take the heat outside the case with some heatpipes? 
You can use gravity to your advantage - or just have a pump (which does not make noise almost at all?)

Pumps make more noticeable noise than silent fans do. I could go the full custom route, but I'm not sure if I want to dedicate that much time and effort to it.

I don't think passive cooling is viable with that hardware, I'd try for a custom case, with a 200 intake and 200 exhaust at low speed.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷