Upgrading PC for Gaming / Videoediting

GreenyAUT

Hello there, 

Budget: around 2.5k€
Old Build: Intel I7 3370k, Nvidia Gtx 680OC, 24GB ddr 3 Ram
What's it for: Gaming (FPS) and Videoediting (Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve) -8k Red Footage, 4k Raw, Prores QX and stuff

Will be running two screens, one might be a 4k display.
No need for keyboard and such, since I already have all of those.

What I was looking at:

Intel I9900k @5ghz
Nvidia RTX 2080
32GB Ram

Or would the threadripper be a better choice?
Whats a good Mainboard to use?

I am thankfull for any help provided!

Greetings from Austria,
Andy

The i9 9900K is fine for light editing in Premiere Pro, but its not that fast compared to Threadripper for this kind of workload. Generally when building a machine for video editing the number of CPU cores matter more than if it's for gaming only.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Uptivuptiz said:

The i9 9900K is fine for light editing in Premiere Pro, but its not that fast compared to Threadripper for this kind of workload. Generally when building a machine for video editing the number of CPU cores matter more than if it's for gaming only.

Yeah I thought so.....

Especially since I will be editing 8k Red Footage, 4k Prores QX and Raw.

2 minutes ago, GreenyAUT said:

Or would the threadripper be a better choice?

If we had to declare a winner between the Intel X-series and AMD Threadripper CPUs for Premiere Pro, Threadripper definitely takes first place. But the Intel X-series CPU are definitely a close second. Which one you should use is going to come down to the type of media you work with and how important live playback performance is to you. Threadripper has an easy win if you care about performance when exporting or if you use RED footage, but for live playback with non-RED media Intel is going to be faster. Since live playback tends to be the one area that most Premiere Pro users complain about, the ~5% higher performance from Intel (plus the fact that the Intel CPUs will typically be quieter than Threadripper) may be enough to sway many users in that direction.

Based on our testing, AMD's Threadripper 2 CPUs are terrific choices for DaVinci Resolve 15. They are not always significantly faster than a similarly priced Intel X-series CPU, but if you have multiple video cards and work with RED footage - especially at 6K/8K resolutions - you can often see significant FPS gains with Threadripper.

From https://www.pugetsystems.com

1 minute ago, GreenyAUT said:

Yeah I thought so.....

Especially since I will be editing 8k Red Footage, 4k Prores QX and Raw.

The extra cores matter. Davinci can use them even better than Premiere, as well.

A 2950X probably makes the most sense.

Obviously, these are German prices, but this is the realm you're looking for. When it comes to Memory, looking for 2x 8Gb kits seems to be the cheapest general approach.

There's not a huge difference between the 1950X and 2950X in performance (some memory compatibility and 3% IPC), but there's a pretty solid price difference. The DE pcpartpicker listings don't have the 2920X, which might also fit the bill as well.