Possible CPU upgrade Seeking Opinions and Advice

mec1234

Hi all, seeking advice on swapping out my old i5-3570K for an i7-3770K.

My Spec are:

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz         

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. G1.Sniper M3-CF

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (NVIDIA)  

465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD)  

I have been rather lazy with upgrades the last few years and would now need to replace the M/B, CPU and Ram which is looking like costing £500 plus.

I don’t think the i5 is bottle necking the GPU but it is close (80-90 % CPU with the GPU at %100) Looking at eBay I could pick up an i7-3770K for about £100 and sell on the i5-3570K for about £50 but would it be worth it. Gaming is the main use (a little video work but nothing major) and I have not overclocked the i5 (I know it’s a K but as I said been too lazy/busy to do it).

So, what do you think, will the extra threads be worth it for gaming or should I just start saving and hope DDR 4 prices come down and overclock the nuts off the i5.

That would be a good help for gaming. Gamers rarely run the game only on their PC. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Not many games care too much about hyperthreading, but true cores and core speed is more important.  If you've got the budget, dive in and do a proper upgrade to the CPU, RAM and Mobo.  You'd probably need a cooling solution of some sort depending on CPU you choose. In the mean time, overclock that thing!!!  Get free performance out of it. That is a great overclocking CPU.  I've seen some people get that CPU up above 4GHz, sometimes as high as 4.5GHz.  4 cores at 4.5GHz would certainly not bottle neck you.  

Thanks all.

Just ordered a Noctua NH-U14S so will see what I can get out of the i5.

The i5 8600K look’s nice, 6 cores etc so just have sweet talk the wife and see.?