Ubiquiti launches AmpliFi Gamer’s Edition, a WiFi router optimized for NVidia GeForce NOW

BachChain

From AnandTech:

Different consumers have different needs - while power users may have wired switches spread across multiple rooms and discrete access points, the average consumer needs a quick and easy to set up system that provides hassle-free coverage. While Ubiquiti's UniFi system caters to the former, the AmpliFi lineup with its touchscreen displays and mobile app-based setup process targets the latter market segment

Today, Ubiquiti is launching the AmpliFi HD Gamer's Edition. The internal hardware is the same as the existing AmpliFi HD, but, the firmware comes with a few QoS tweaks targeting online gaming in general and cloud-gaming services in particular. Co-branded with NVIDIA, the AmpliFi HD Gamer's Edition's GeForce NOW QoS mode automatically detects latency or frame losses and de-prioritizes other traffic to ensure satisfactory online gaming sessions.

amphd-ge-carousel_678x452.png.ddaba5c4e4ebdbc0138356200c53c4d4.png

amphd-ge-qos_575px.png.f64706acdc751ab731fb9bb8310a0a37.png

The AmpliFi HD Gamer's Edition will be available starting today for $379. It is priced higher than the $340 of the standard edition. The extra value is delivered in the firmware features and additional hardware tweaks - a black exterior and LED lighting at the base that gamers may find to be attractive

So $40 extra for a black/green color scheme and a QoS preset. I can see what they're going for, but i don't really think that adds enough value. I don't even think it has RGB lighting

16 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

WPA3?

Wireless security, routers are starting to appear with that and the new 802.11ax, so purchasing a device without these at least it's not that future proof. Sure they could update their current routers to wpa3 but the big brands had over a month and haven't replied anything concrete to the customers when queried about it.

So... QoS means twitch anywhere in the house is even more oppressive than it already is to the rest of the users? I'll say no thanks.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

If they had put the Razer logo on it, they could have charged $80 extra instead. Missed opportunity, imo

So is QoS useful at all on gigabit internet?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

15 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

So... QoS means twitch anywhere in the house is even more oppressive than it already is to the rest of the users? I'll say no thanks.

No, QOS makes small packet traffic like gaming the priority over large packet traffic like video streaming. I used their QOS on upload only and when I did that I almost never lagged again in games.

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

So is QoS useful at all on gigabit internet?

Yes, Unless it is common that you Max your internet out all the time.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

9 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

No, QOS makes small packet traffic like gaming the priority over large packet traffic like video streaming. I used their QOS on upload only and when I did that I almost never lagged again in games.

Yes, Unless it is common that you Max your internet out all the time.

On upload only sure. But twitch and game-streaming is something that is explicitly mentioned as part of the priority lanes in the QoS. So it will tank the shit out of everything else when set to manage incoming traffic as well. 

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

On upload only sure. But twitch and game-streaming is something that is explicitly mentioned as part of the priority lanes in the QoS. So it will tank the shit out of everything else when set to manage incoming traffic as well. 

you are assuming it only has 2 levels of prioritization, it should be small packets first like games then twitch, then everything else.

and QOS is designed to NOT tank anything, it is designed to balance the load unlink a unmanaged network.

I used upload only due to my download being faster then the router can do QOS, (80 Mbps)

For that price I'd expect better than 802.11ac tbh. I'm not a fan of products being made flashy and to look good whilst not backing it up with performance (Yes yes I know I have a Mac). Considering the router alone costs $150, its a hard sell to me to have more than twice the price for two repeaters and a bit of software. This just doesn't provide much above existing setups. 

What's the difference between this and just the normal QoS (after manually configuring it) that you can find on most modern routers nowadays?
Is it literally just because it has a preset with an Nvidia logo that it costs more than a normal router?

"GeForce NOW QoS mode automatically detects latency or frame losses and de-prioritizes other traffic to ensure satisfactory online gaming sessions. "
or does this imply that GeForce NOW somehow communicates to the router to automatically switch QoS profiles or something?

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

10 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

you are assuming it only has 2 levels of prioritization, it should be small packets first like games then twitch, then everything else.

and QOS is designed to NOT tank anything, it is designed to balance the load unlink a unmanaged network.

I used upload only due to my download being faster then the router can do QOS, (80 Mbps)

Whether or not QoS is designed to tank anything... the particular combination of the way Twitch prioritizes traffic and sends packets and the way QoS systems works mean that shit hits the bed for tons of people while using it, even if the Twitch load is way less than their total speed cap.

Look anywhere on the internet and you'll find tons of people (thousands of articles/forum posts/reddit etc) that complain how twitch disproportionately bogs the shit out of their internet service while running. One of the common solutions is disabling QoS and (if your router allows it).

Unfortunately twitch buffers like crazy in specifically deprioritized QoS lanes so moving it onto a "black list" so to say isnt a solution either.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

it's a shame that when LTT do a video on this, people will post on this forum:

"I'm going to get an AmpliFi router, how much more FPS will this give me in fortnite when i stream?"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Whether or not QoS is designed to tank anything... the particular combination of the way Twitch prioritizes traffic and sends packets and the way QoS systems works mean that shit hits the bed for tons of people while using it, even if the Twitch load is way less than their total speed cap.

Look anywhere on the internet and you'll find tons of people (thousands of articles/forum posts/reddit etc) that complain how twitch disproportionately bogs the shit out of their internet service while running. One of the common solutions is disabling QoS and (if your router allows it).

Unfortunately twitch buffers like crazy in specifically deprioritized QoS lanes so moving it onto a "black list" so to say isnt a solution either.

Does that happen while streaming to twitch or watching twitch.

I never seen issues watching twitch.

For streaming to Ubiquiti's QOS has full 100% prevented lag in games when my roommate streamed. if QOS was disabled I would get lag occasionally.

So again with my experience with ubiquitis QOS it basically 100% prevents lag in games.

On 11/22/2018 at 1:28 AM, The Owl said:

No WPA3 :|

To be fair Ubiquiti offers updates to their devices for some time. So it is entirely possible that they will add the WPA3 functionality via patch later on. That being said I would not count on it. I've seen to many consumer grade Wireless APs being total garbage.

3 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Does that happen while streaming to twitch or watching twitch.

I never seen issues watching twitch.

For streaming to Ubiquiti's QOS has full 100% prevented lag in games when my roommate streamed. if QOS was disabled I would get lag occasionally.

So again with my experience with ubiquitis QOS it basically 100% prevents lag in games.

Watching twitch, though I cant imagine streaming makes it better either since you will probably have the stream up...

Games are fine literally either way. The issue is every other traffic in the network gets f'd to hell. Downloads, other video streams, etc (and no... this isnt bandwidth constrained, and lowering twitch settings doesnt change anything). Now dont get me wrong. It's basically a twitch handles packets like an idiot, problem. And not directly a QoS one. But QoS directly relies on the service being prioritized not being a jack wagon idiot... and well, that isn't always the case.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

On 11/22/2018 at 2:09 PM, The Owl said:

i want one too comcast gift you netgear wifi router so there good enough as  asus wifi ax ready to buy them now but 3 stars from 5 and no wpA3 or multi gig support https://www.amazon.com/Quad-Core-Wireless-802-11Ax-Adaptive-RT-AX88U/dp/B07HM6KJN8#customerReviews