so i have been trying to figure out if i need to upgrade something or make some tweaks to my system (after watching linus bottleneck video). the main games i am trying to play are rainbow six siege, and battlefield V. in RSS i'm getting about 100 FPS on average but drops when a lot of stuff is happening into the 70's, and in BFV i'm averaging about 80 FPS and drops into the 50's at times. all my settings in BFV are on low, RSS are medium to low settings. in task manager while playing these games i am running my cpu at 100% across all 4 cores and 8 threads, while my GPU and Ram are only at about 50%. i guess my question is, should i bump up my graphics settings in game to take some of the stress off the CPU? ideally i'd like to be at 100FPS+ without such big drops when in fire fights. also i'm worried that i may burn out my CPU faster than i'd prefer due to gaming 2-6 hours a day and having my CPU at 100%. i am not currently running a water cooled setup, but also don't see too high of temps on the CPU to think i may need to water cool it. 

specs: i7-7700 4 cores @ 3.60GHz, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hd drive, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, Benq XL2411 1080p 144hz monitor

thanks for the help guys!

Bumping up the graphics settings only makes the GPU work harder, it doesn't make the CPU work less. Basically, the performance you're seeing is the most that you'll get until you upgrade the CPU.

And keeping a CPU busy doesn't appreciably affect its lifespan as long as it's not running too hot.