Laptop vs Desktop question

jampog

Hi!

aside from not being able to upgrade the laptop and the heat coming from its keyboard, is it better to buy a laptop? price wise for you dont need to buy a camera keyboard monitor etc right?

We might have some money coming our way so we might be buying one for the holidays. My kid said he want to be a youtuber so basically we want to be able to use it for that as well. But primarily we would just use it for streaming movies and work. Work that is not that hardware intensive so far. 

at most we would be able to spend 1100$ us to 1300$ depending on how expensive it would be sold here in the Philippines. So what do you think?

TIA!

You can get a much better desktop pc + peripherals for the same amount of money

Laptops have a lifespan and theyre usually quite short

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

11 hours ago, jampog said:

is it better to buy a laptop?

If portability is very important to you, yes. If you have the budget, laptop+dekstop

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

If portability is very important to you, yes. If you have the budget, laptop+dekstop

No it is not that important. We work from home so the only travel that our laptop does is from our bedroom to our makeshift office. Space on the other hand, kinda matters. we are sharing a house so space it is tight but I am sure we can find one corner if a desktop is a more reasonable choice.

The thing that attracts me to laptops is the GPU and the OS. Those two alone would eat up in my mind half of the cost of an equivalent desktop. Cuz you need to buy monitor camera keyboard that should be equal to what a laptop can provide. 

13 hours ago, Slottr said:

You can get a much better desktop pc + peripherals for the same amount of money

Laptops have a lifespan and theyre usually quite short

In my experience it was actually the same or in a way the desktop broke down first. Maybe because I was not cleaning it but I don't clean my laptop inside as well so there. 

What I hate about the laptop is just the heat, but I see more and more people buying a separate keyboard when using a laptop. that is also one of the reasons why i am asking. Maybe its just beoming more practical that way. 

7 minutes ago, jampog said:

In my experience it was actually the same or in a way the desktop broke down first. Maybe because I was not cleaning it but I don't clean my laptop inside as well so there. 

What I hate about the laptop is just the heat, but I see more and more people buying a separate keyboard when using a laptop. that is also one of the reasons why i am asking. Maybe its just beoming more practical that way. 

Its much easier to replace broken parts on desktops (if you know your PC well enough)

But the key issue is that do you need PORTABLE pc? Then do you have limited space for PC?

other than that desktop is your choice

yup its easier but your my logic is not buying things to see if you can repair it in the future... its a hit or miss when it comes to wear and tear in my opinion :D

portable for us is quite different :D.. we don't have centralized cooling at home and it gets really hot so one advantage of a laptop is turning on the aircon in one room then bringing your gadgets there... 

space is not really the main issue but the total cost it would take :D

On 11/21/2018 at 1:29 PM, jampog said:

is it better to buy a laptop? price wise for you dont need to buy a camera keyboard monitor etc right?

No. Desktop hardware is a lot more powerful and has a longer life. Hell Im still using an i5 3570K which is like 8 or 9 Gens old at this point and the machine in question wast built in 2013. It still games pretty good. Plus Desktops are much easier to upgrade in the future. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

No. Desktop hardware is a lot more powerful and has a longer life. Hell Im still using an i5 3570K which is like 8 or 9 Gens old at this point and the machine in question wast built in 2013. It still games pretty good. Plus Desktops are much easier to upgrade in the future. 

i actually don't want to argue about which last longer for in my personal experience it actually depends on the one using it. For example my vita was working fine and looking brand new but when my relatives borrowed it. the joystick got busted. So you can either blame sony or the user. I choose the user.

When replacing parts though, I had a desktop before and its a budget build. So the psu is just enough to support it so when i bought a new card, i need to replace the psu too. Since it was old I need to replace the mobo eventually, but getting the same mobo to fit the core seems not practical cuz the cost is similar to newer mobos. So now I need to replace both mobo and cpu. The only thing that was a breeze for me to replace was hd and rams. Well actually HDs only for rams, it was ddr2 or 3 i think so I had a hard time looking for one. My original was gskill and the one I got as replacement was bare. it was ugly and i need to reset it every now and then.

Given how fast technology changes, the only option I had when I experienced those problems was buy second hand. I don't want to buy second hand since I am very unlucky with them cuz it always gets busted somehow :(. But if I bought new, its not the best one. It is made by those manufacturers hoping that there would still be people like me needing old stuff new. 

The simplest analogy i can think of is owning a car. I still don't own a car sadly but ii think its like buying a new car. The only difference is aside from it having wear it tear, it will also become obsolete. 

I didn't upgrade anything when I had a desktop unless it broke or it was close to being obsolete(lowest settings is barely playable). The cost of the card was 1/4 of the build which eventually broke down too.  That is why, I am now really hesitant to just jump to the idea about portability and durability. For me, it all boils down to the cost I am shedding out now. I will just figure out how to take care of it to make it last longer. 

5 hours ago, jampog said:

For me, it all boils down to the cost I am shedding out now. I will just figure out how to take care of it to make it last longer. 

What ever. I just know for a fact that desktop parts are more powerful and a better value. If you can live on mobile hardware more power to you. I just know I cant. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It is hard to judge prices in the phillipines from being here in the US. But here is some general advice about laptops versus desktops.

First off, every kid these days wants to be a youtuber. 90% of them make 1 crappy video, realize it's really hard, and go on to do something else. I'm not saying your kid will make a crappy video or won't follow his/her dreams. I'm saying that budgeting a computer for your kid's youtube career is not a statistically favorable decision, unless you kid already makes videos with what they have. (phone and phone editing programs). 

Given this fact, it seems like you are using your computer for bare minimum stuff, and are pretty low on space. Thermals are also a problem where you live. It sounds like you should get a laptop. For $1000 US, you can probably get a pretty good i5 laptop with a MX150 or something. Laptop components use less energy and put out less heat energy (but get hotter because the heat energy is concentrated in a smaller area) so your room will get less hot. You can move the computer from one room to another if you need to, and could take it somewhere else. It's a single contained unit with all the stuff you need, even if the keyboard, mouse, and monitor aren't great, it is good enough for what you need to do. I just don't see any reason for you to get a desktop except for the better ergonomics of a monitor and proper keyboard.

16 hours ago, Donut417 said:

What ever. I just know for a fact that desktop parts are more powerful and a better value. If you can live on mobile hardware more power to you. I just know I cant. 

yup i agree desktops so far will be more powerful given its easy to oc and manage temps without it affecting your fingers :)) That truly equates to better value. 

remembered a site partpicker and tried it there somewhat... sorry its a mess cuz we just learned our ps4 is no signal on a new tv... sigh... anyways this gives me a rough estimate i think...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tuf-gaming-fx705gm-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-512gb-solid-state-drive-black/6293624.p?skuId=6293624

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zd9tq4

sorted the cheapest then build one... its quite closer than i imagined... your right it just might boil down to preference...  Anyways, thanks!

15 hours ago, Bustapalapeno said:

It is hard to judge prices in the phillipines from being here in the US. But here is some general advice about laptops versus desktops.

First off, every kid these days wants to be a youtuber. 90% of them make 1 crappy video, realize it's really hard, and go on to do something else. I'm not saying your kid will make a crappy video or won't follow his/her dreams. I'm saying that budgeting a computer for your kid's youtube career is not a statistically favorable decision, unless you kid already makes videos with what they have. (phone and phone editing programs). 

Given this fact, it seems like you are using your computer for bare minimum stuff, and are pretty low on space. Thermals are also a problem where you live. It sounds like you should get a laptop. For $1000 US, you can probably get a pretty good i5 laptop with a MX150 or something. Laptop components use less energy and put out less heat energy (but get hotter because the heat energy is concentrated in a smaller area) so your room will get less hot. You can move the computer from one room to another if you need to, and could take it somewhere else. It's a single contained unit with all the stuff you need, even if the keyboard, mouse, and monitor aren't great, it is good enough for what you need to do. I just don't see any reason for you to get a desktop except for the better ergonomics of a monitor and proper keyboard.

Thanks! theres a lot things there i did not consider. I just want him at an early age to focus one one thing he wanted. Chef, robotics engineer, scientist are way too far away and he really idolizes dantdm. We actually made a couple of crappy videos already he is just too shy to upload them. He is actually wanna do it cuz it looks fun for him. He does not know about editing and stuff. He just feels like creating videos and doing what his idol likes.

And yup 1k pc their might cost around 1.3k here so budget pcs are most likely nearing obsolete here :))

as a parent we just want it to be practical. Maybe we could just lend him our phones then for the mean time. Thanks for the tip :D

15 hours ago, jampog said:

Thanks! theres a lot things there i did not consider. I just want him at an early age to focus one one thing he wanted. Chef, robotics engineer, scientist are way too far away and he really idolizes dantdm. We actually made a couple of crappy videos already he is just too shy to upload them. He is actually wanna do it cuz it looks fun for him. He does not know about editing and stuff. He just feels like creating videos and doing what his idol likes.

And yup 1k pc their might cost around 1.3k here so budget pcs are most likely nearing obsolete here :))

as a parent we just want it to be practical. Maybe we could just lend him our phones then for the mean time. Thanks for the tip :D

Oh so he's a young kid! Then it doesn't matter. Young kids will do whatever they set their mind to, no matter how tedious and annoying it is. I remember making stop motion videos frame by frame in windows movie maker on my sisters Acer Netbook. There is nothing you can do to stop a child's creativity. 

On 11/27/2018 at 8:12 AM, Bustapalapeno said:

Oh so he's a young kid! Then it doesn't matter. Young kids will do whatever they set their mind to, no matter how tedious and annoying it is. I remember making stop motion videos frame by frame in windows movie maker on my sisters Acer Netbook. There is nothing you can do to stop a child's creativity. 

yeah, right now its all over the place. I just want him to focus on one so am hoping that a computer helps or at least we have a new gadget haha.

Anyways I thought, this laptop desktop competition would be easier this time. IMO, I would only choose desktop, if i can have one of those bad ass monitor and use it to the fullest. If not, like cars, unless its a lemon when you bought it, a laptop is practically better. After seeing one of linus employees using a laptop keyboard combo, maybe i am just too old and stubborn to see that it is doable :D

Ty for all the help guys :D.