Recovering a brutally pwned raid0

awesomes8wc3
Go to solution Solved by corrado33,
55 minutes ago, awesomes8wc3 said:

Hey all. Yesterday my motherboard's onboard SATA controller gave up and took my SSD RAID0 bootdrive with it, and hard. Unfortunately it failed right in the middle of a backup, so those are unusable (DONT use the Windows built in backup tool!!!!! It overwrites the existing backup as soon as the new one is started, so if it fails you're screwed! But not even the secondary more selective backup I put in place about a week ago using Genie Timeline worked, it hadn't finished the initial backup yet and got seemingly everything EXCEPT the shit I actually want!!!).

Aaaaanyway...

Plugging both drives (one or the other works) into another system with an Intel chipset causes it to pitch a fit, it just gets stuck on the post screen. Plugging it into an offboard SATA controller however it will detect the drives fine but obviously it is unreadable. Is there any way to piece together the data from this? Any windows/linux progs you guys know of that might be able to read it or something? Cheers.

Murphy really sucks!!!

You could try a program like this if you can actually SEE both drives.

https://www.z-a-recovery.com/tutorials/raid0-recovery.aspx

Otherwise, it definitely wasn't Murphy, it's your own fault for using raid 0 for important data. (Seriously, no one NEEDS raid 0)

Hey all. Yesterday my motherboard's onboard SATA controller gave up and took my SSD RAID0 bootdrive with it, and hard. Unfortunately it failed right in the middle of a backup, so those are unusable (DONT use the Windows built in backup tool!!!!! It overwrites the existing backup as soon as the new one is started, so if it fails you're screwed! But not even the secondary more selective backup I put in place about a week ago using Genie Timeline worked, it hadn't finished the initial backup yet and got seemingly everything EXCEPT the shit I actually want!!!).

Aaaaanyway...

Plugging both drives (one or the other works) into another system with an Intel chipset causes it to pitch a fit, it just gets stuck on the post screen. Plugging it into an offboard SATA controller however it will detect the drives fine but obviously it is unreadable. Is there any way to piece together the data from this? Any windows/linux progs you guys know of that might be able to read it or something? Cheers.

Murphy really sucks!!!

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

55 minutes ago, awesomes8wc3 said:

Aaaaanyway...

Murphy really sucks!!!

Otherwise, it definitely wasn't Murphy, it's your own fault for using raid 0 for important data. (Seriously, no one NEEDS raid 0)

12 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Yeah, you do. Almost 1gbps r/w on the boot drive = awesome and brags (well, a few years ago). In seriousness though yes of course I don't need it but it is noticeably faster than a single drive (plus I thought I was set up in case of a failure but GUESS NOT!). What are the chances of the freaking SATA controller on the motherboard failing right in the middle of the damn backup? You can't tell me that's NOT Murphy! It is my fault for using shit software and a horrible Asrock memeboard. And no i'm not stupid enough to put my life on it, the data that's on this drive isn't important enough that it warrants an expensive data recovery service and I can certainly live without it, but I still want to at least make an attempt to get it back.

Anyway, that ZAR program worked a treat, I wish it could take the whole drive and turn it into a vhd image or something but HEY I got the data back at least. BIG thanks for that!!!!

Now I guess I gotta source a new motherboard......damn. I would just get a RAID card or something but every slot is full already to make up for all the other things that are broken on this board.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

12 hours ago, awesomes8wc3 said:

Yeah, you do. Almost 1gbps r/w on the boot drive = awesome and brags (well, a few years ago). In seriousness though yes of course I don't need it but it is noticeably faster than a single drive (plus I thought I was set up in case of a failure but GUESS NOT!). What are the chances of the freaking SATA controller on the motherboard failing right in the middle of the damn backup? You can't tell me that's NOT Murphy! It is my fault for using shit software and a horrible Asrock memeboard. And no i'm not stupid enough to put my life on it, the data that's on this drive isn't important enough that it warrants an expensive data recovery service and I can certainly live without it, but I still want to at least make an attempt to get it back.

Anyway, that ZAR program worked a treat, I wish it could take the whole drive and turn it into a vhd image or something but HEY I got the data back at least. BIG thanks for that!!!!

Now I guess I gotta source a new motherboard......damn. I would just get a RAID card or something but every slot is full already to make up for all the other things that are broken on this board.

Really? The program worked? That's nuts.

Anyway, a PCIe NVME drive is faster than 1 gbps (3.5 gbps), and would be a MUCH better solution than raid 0. And you can but pcie -> nvme adapters for pretty cheap. 

17 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Really? The program worked? That's nuts.

Anyway, a PCIe NVME drive is faster than 1 gbps (3.5 gbps), and would be a MUCH better solution than raid 0. And you can but pcie -> nvme adapters for pretty cheap. 

Do they work and will boot an OS in just any old motherboard? I'm pretty sure the firmware on the mb has to specifically support nvme to boot off em... otherwise i probably would have got one by now

1 hour ago, awesomes8wc3 said:

Do they work and will boot an OS in just any old motherboard? I'm pretty sure the firmware on the mb has to specifically support nvme to boot off em... otherwise i probably would have got one by now

I have a pcie -> m.2 converter in my lga 775 board and it works fine as a boot drive. Here is literally the first result on google and it says it supports nvme.

https://www.startech.com/ca/HDD/Adapters/pci-express-m2-pcie-ssd-adapter~PEX4M2E1

11 hours ago, corrado33 said:

I have a pcie -> m.2 converter in my lga 775 board and it works fine as a boot drive. Here is literally the first result on google and it says it supports nvme.

https://www.startech.com/ca/HDD/Adapters/pci-express-m2-pcie-ssd-adapter~PEX4M2E1

What drive are you using in it? SP951?

21 minutes ago, awesomes8wc3 said:

What drive are you using in it? SP951?

Oh god I don't freaking know, I bought it like 2 years ago. No way I'm opening up the computer to find out.