Design Your Own Amplifier - Taking feedback for future products

MayflowerElectronics

About the case, an adapter so you can fit it in a 5.25 bay would be very awesome. I haven't thought about how you would power the unit from there, but if this is possible, this would be an insta-buy for me. Unfortunatly I'm using the Node 304 right now which has no 5.25 bay available.

THE signature

About the case, an adapter so you can fit it in a 5.25 bay would be very awesome. I haven't thought about how you would power the unit from there, but if this is possible, this would be an insta-buy for me. Unfortunatly I'm using the Node 304 right now which has no 5.25 bay available.

I was under the impression that one of the main selling points of an external DAC is to locate it as far as possible away from noisy components, and the inside of a computer has a lot of noisy electronics that could affect your signals.

#!

I would like the idea of a microphone port. And LED bling bling 

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Not sure why everyone wants this! lol.

We don't like the idea of putting our sensitive electronics inside of a electrically noisy computer. Even though the front 5.25 bay is away from most of it, you'll still probably pick up some noise.

Thanks for the input so far!

Both 1/4'' and 3.5mm outputs - No more adapters. It's one of the major limits of the objective2 that we can't have both outputs for all headphones

I would prefer 1/4" only too personally and i think the person who spends 100$+ on a DAC/AMP uses headphones with 1/4" (native or adapter)

RCA inputs and outputs - Pretty simple and a standard in most designs
Something which can come in handy but def. something to cut for the lower tier version (which i am interested in)

USB and optical inputs - Again a limiting factor in the ODAC.
Neat, again usb (b, feels the most solid at least with my external hdds and usb upstream to monitor) only for lower price tier maybe.

No Drivers - We will be using the same Class1 driverless DAC chip. Will work with all OS's.
nothing to change here obviously

Small design, 2-3 models - Much like the o2/ODAC, we plan on selling just the amp, just the DAC, or an all in one unit. Everything will be in a small compact case hopefully not much bigger than the standard o2 case
Variety is always good and small size too for beeing able to hide it around the monitor or something

Extruded Aluminium case - To save costs we plan on using extruded aluminium design for a case. We are really fond of the Apple TV shape case, this is where we would mostly like your input.
Everything that is aliminium is good for me

Microphone pass through - Another feature that we would like your input with. A lot of gamers have analog headsets with microphones. Would you rather use an extension cable or would you rather see another 3.5mm jack in the front of the case?
Since cheap mics are often enough if you just use them for steam/ts i'd say definitely something to cut (at least for lower end tier)

Costs - Realistically the most important part. We are looking at the $100, $200 and $300 price point for 3 different models. What do you think?
100$ as long as it provides the basic features and isn't a big downgrade in quality would be my pick

LED's? - What color would you like for LED's?
I would prefer white because it is a nice neutral color and doesn't atract a lot of attention (as long as the LED isn't too bright)

Gain? - Gain switch? We plan on having possibly 3 gain levels - 1x, 2x and 6x. This will cover 99% of the headphones on the market
ok i guess, dunno i just had to read up what gain actually does ^^ (basically how much the signal gets amplified?)

Power!!!! - We plan on having the same output volume as the o2.
never used it, can't comment

Add the mic passthrough for sure and some RGB LED's, if any.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Add the mic passthrough for sure and some RGB LED's, if any.

Were borderline on the mic pass through, going to put a poll up.

On the new design, would a small, low-profile volume wheel work on the top (instead of a large knob)?  Maybe even smaller than this:

36-121-014-41.jpg

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Is a mic passthrough going to run the price up?

I would think so, adding features costs money.

I would think so, adding features costs money.

Yes but I was wondering how much. Because he mentioned that he wasn't going to do anything special so a simple passthrough might not cost much. My decision would be based on how much it would cost to add it. 

I think an option for 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch jacks would be pretty awesome for people that don't necessarily like using adapters.  Some digital outputs to drive something like Corsair SP2500s would be pretty sweet as well.

As someone previously mentioned, a switch/button would be nice for switching from the headphone amp to line out and/or digital out.  This way, you could leave your speakers plugged in and switch to the headphone amplifier without having sound come out of both jacks.  Perhaps, this could be achieved by having two options.  Having the switch in the down position would be the rear outputs.  The up position would be the headphone amplifier in front or vice versa.

Both 1/4'' and 3.5mm outputs - Yes, please

RCA inputs and outputs - Pretty common standar. i'ld like ones.

USB and optical inputs - USB B will deliver a stronger connection.

No Drivers - Yes, please.

Small design, 2-3 models - I would like to see a more industry design more rugged wise.

Extruded Aluminium case - More colors like Dark grey aluminum.

Microphone pass through - I use a USB Mic in that matter.

Costs - I like the price point idea.

LED's? - Frost leds indicators, keep it clasy.

Gain? - Gain switch? Nice implementation

Power!!!! - We plan on having the same output volume as the o2.

Power supply - We will have to use an external power supply. It won't be a somewhat proprietary AC/AC power supply like the o2, but a more common DC one. In order for us to use an internal power supply would drive the cost up more than we would like, and would provide no real tangible benefit..

Can't wait for the new line of products !11

Wow microphone plug in would be so good!

Have such a cable mess on my table and the Mic cable is almost strangling me :).

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x

Tyler, I'm curious as to what you have decided from feedback so far.  Any chance we can get an update on the next design implementation?  :)

Tyler, I'm curious as to what you have decided from feedback so far.  Any chance we can get an update on the next design implementation?  :)

I'm still on the fence. We're doing something with Logan in a few days, i'll decide then.

Everything you listed is great. Especially the microphone input, that is really important. However, one important bonus is missing in my opinion. Tacos.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

• 3 weeks later...

RBG Led´s <3 id pay extra no problem! well..if they can pulse to the beat...yeah i saw those Corsair RGB Mech Keyboards and id love to se that baby move to the beat! now image that on a Custom DAC/AMP! :D
That gain switch is a great idea as long as it wont effect anything (aside from cost)
Mic.....me, noty. others? idunno. depends on the price difference i guess.

I forgot all about this thread, anyway, we plan on doing most of the things that's stated in the thread. We're also doing a portable unit, as the overwhelming majority of people we've seen have been asking for this.

I forgot all about this thread, anyway, we plan on doing most of the things that's stated in the thread. We're also doing a portable unit, as the overwhelming majority of people we've seen have been asking for this.

Gonna have to stop suggesting O2's until your new stuff comes out. :P

If possible, the portable amp could be charged by USB?  just so there isn't another power adapter to deal with.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

If possible, the portable amp could be charged by USB? just so there isn't another power adapter to deal with.

Yeah, that would be a bad design if it wasn't.

Yeah, that would be a bad design if it wasn't.

Well I just thought that maybe the design you were considering could need more than just 5v. :P

Mystery is the source of all true science.