Newly bought laptop disk usage maxing up

adelhied

Hi! Has anyone of you experienced this kind of problem? My sister bought this new laptop from the mall, Acer brand, and upon booting it up I opened task manager and the disk usage is freaking to the roof, maxing out at 100%. I thought that this is just at first but it still persist. I uninstalled some bloatware and it is still maxing out. I reset the laptop and still doesn't work. I first experienced this kind of problem with the newly bought laptop at our office but different brand, Asus laptop. My first thought is that the hard disk is failing. I haven't tried re installing a different Windows OS that is free from bloatware as it is still under warranty. We can get it back to the store but it will take a while for them to fix it and the laptop is needed for schooling of my sister as she is taking up graduate studies and waiting for it to be repaired is a bit of a hassle. Can anyone suggest to me what can I do for this one?

46463386_256848758338910_2000238841809600512_n.png

46482482_255142191847097_2798566794191699968_n.png

BBBBBBBloatware EDIT: you don't have to reinstall windows, you can just remove the bloatware or fresh install windows because that won't remove any parts warranties

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Run windows updates like 3 or 4 times, maybe 5.

Lastly, when it finally says "your computer is up to date", restart the computer. (Not shut down and then turn on) If you want, go to command prompt or powershell and enter:

shutdown /r /t 10

Once the machine boots back up, keep an eye on that disk usage, but give it up to an hour or so depending on how large the drive is, as it's probably running some scans.

2 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

BBBBBBBloatware EDIT: you don't have to reinstall windows, you can just remove the bloatware or fresh install windows because that won't remove any parts warranties

I'm thinking it too should I uninstall all like everything except the browsers that I installed?

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Run windows updates like 3 or 4 times, maybe 5.

Lastly, when it finally says "your computer is up to date", restart the computer. (Not shut down and then turn on) If you want, go to command prompt or powershell and enter:

shutdown /r /t 10

Once the machine boots back up, keep an eye on that disk usage, but give it up to an hour or so depending on how large the drive is, as it's probably running some scans.

I will also try this thank you.

Just now, adelhied said:

I'm thinking it too should I uninstall all like everything except the browsers that I installed?

Just use common sense and uninstall anything you dont need or didn't install yourself that you know you won't need.

My current rig:

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Is this an actual problem? Hard drives usually are pegged at 100% on notebooks, is there some kind of issue it's causing for you when you use it?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, hconverse02 said:

Just use common sense and uninstall anything you dont need or didn't install yourself that you know you won't need.

Okay I will try this with no restriction thanks. will reply back after I'm done. Maybe tomorrow as it's evening at my country.

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Is this an actual problem? Hard drives usually are pegged at 100% on notebooks, is there some kind of issue it's causing for you when you use it?

I'm not sure about "Hard drives usually are pegged at 100% on notebooks" part but this is a newly bought laptop with nothing installed on it only the crap the manufacturer installed. Our old laptop bought about 2 years ago didn't have this problem it's an asus one.

Just now, adelhied said:

I'm not sure about "Hard drives usually are pegged at 100% on notebooks" part but this is a newly bought laptop with nothing installed on it only the crap the manufacturer installed. Our old laptop bought about 2 years ago didn't have this problem it's an asus one.

Again, is it actually an issue or does the 100% just make you unhappy to look at? Task manager might just be inaccurate

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

This is completely normal for brand new laptops with HDDs, there's a lot of updating to be done when you first boot them making excessive writing/reading on these first moments of use.

Windows is updating, the bloatware it came with is updating, every thing is updating.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Again, is it actually an issue or does the 100% just make you unhappy to look at? Task manager might just be inaccurate

Ahh okay now I get it. Well it is an issue at it's slow on opening and reading files unacceptable for a newly bought laptop. And we experienced that when we opened a folder all its doing is a green loading bar at the url portion of the explorer and not permitting us to access the files inside. Fortunately the files inside is not corrupted. That is the first time experiencing that kind of a problem

2 minutes ago, adelhied said:

Ahh okay now I get it. Well it is an issue at it's slow on opening and reading files unacceptable for a newly bought laptop. And we experienced that when we opened a folder all its doing is a green loading bar at the url portion of the explorer and not permitting us to access the files inside. Fortunately the files inside is not corrupted. That is the first time experiencing that kind of a problem

I just noticed, task manager lists the read speed of the drive at 4.1 Mb/s, which is absurdly slow. Was this an expensive laptop? If not, it may be using a really cheap drive.

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

I just noticed, task manager lists the read speed of the drive at 4.1 Mb/s, which is absurdly slow. Was this an expensive laptop? If not, it may be using a really cheap drive.

In our country it's quite that money but may be to other its cheap. it's around $495 if I convert it. It has AMD ryzen 3 2200 and 4gb of ram 1tb of hdd

5 minutes ago, adelhied said:

In our country it's quite that money but may be to other its cheap. it's around $495 if I convert it. It has AMD ryzen 3 2200 and 4gb of ram 1tb of hdd

Oof. Might want to get some more memory for it. You lose memory to the onboard graphics and once Windows runs out of memory, it'll hit that slow hdd even harder to swap programs in and out of memory. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Oof. Might want to get some more memory for it. You lose memory to the onboard graphics and once Windows runs out of memory, it'll hit that slow hdd even harder to swap programs in and out of memory. 

Now that this and some others mention it, I remember the paging thing windows does if it runs out of memory. Thanks for this maybe this is one of the problem

30 minutes ago, adelhied said:

Now that this and some others mention it, I remember the paging thing windows does if it runs out of memory. Thanks for this maybe this is one of the problem

That's a good idea, just make sure to update windows and remove bloatware

My current rig:

Hi guys again. I would like to thank you all for your replies. I did it. I uninstalled all application that has acer in it and some suspicious software (e.g. games) that is on it. and I also updated the laptop at least twice until it say your updated. Thank you all the culprit is that it was low in memory and resorts to paging. Thank you for giving me that idea and the one that the memory is shared with the graphic. Any way I suggested to my sister that she needs to buy more RAM and preferably an SSD to for more performance. Thanks again

1 hour ago, adelhied said:

snip

go with an ssd first then the ram, more ram is only usefull if she runs out of it