laptop doesn't detect any boot devices.

TRraven

Before I start off I am highly certifed in computer repair, networking and programming. I wouldn't be on here asking for help if I really wasn't in a pickle.I have a hp 17 e024nr  recently my thermals were 100 deg c on the package so I took apart the laptop dusted it with compressed air, cleaned the fan, and replied thermal compound. In the process you have to take off the keyboard. In doing this I followed Ifix's guide and messed up when taking the keyboard out. I started from the bottom right instead of the bottom left. This caused me to make a deep scratch in the ribbon cable from the laptops keyboard. I didn't notice this until later on when I put everything back together that some keys on the left side of the keyboard stopped working. Everything else was fine. Ordered my replacement here is the amazon link. Installing the new keyboard was a breeze. Booted and it said that it didn't detect any operating system on my laptop.  Basically it wouldn't boot past checking my system for a boot-able drive.  (btw the drive didn't show up in the bios) I then took the drive and plugged it into my desktop saw it detected in bios. Booted into my regular desktop opened the drive all the files were intact. I since 100% formatted the drive. Plugged it back into my laptop inserted my windows iso to reinstall windows on it.  It wouldn't detect my flash drive. I followed all of hp's steps. I set bios to all defaults. Did the hp disk checker all the stupid software that never works. No errors showed up. I'm starting to think my new keyboard bricked my system and before I'm 100% certain I wanted some other opinions.  

Is it possible the SATA connector is on a separate board and connected to the logic board via a separate connector, either using a cable or a board-to-board interconnect that might've gotten damaged/isn't seated properly?

It's also possible that the flash drive wasn't properly created and wasn't being detected, how did you write the ISO to the drive?

Other than that,

It's kinda hard to imagine a damaged keyboard connector bricking a system, worst case scenario it bricks the keyboard I/O controller.

To be fair though I've seen weirder things happen so it's not out of the question.

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

17 minutes ago, TakataruMC said:

Is it possible the SATA connector is on a separate board and connected to the logic board via a separate connector, either using a cable or a board-to-board interconnect that might've gotten damaged/isn't seated properly?

It's also possible that the flash drive wasn't properly created and wasn't being detected, how did you write the ISO to the drive?

Other than that,

It's kinda hard to imagine a damaged keyboard connector bricking a system, worst case scenario it bricks the keyboard I/O controller.

To be fair though I've seen weirder things happen so it's not out of the question.

well i took apart the laptop 48 hours ago, put it together worked just fine before i installed the new keyboard, everything booted, to install the new keyboard is taking off the battery 2 screws detaching the ribbon cable and putting the new one in and working backwards. Its possible something got lose while the laptop was in the car but i doubt it, I did seat and reseat the drive multiple times

7 minutes ago, LiquidMotionz said:

well i took apart the laptop 48 hours ago, put it together worked just fine before i installed the new keyboard, everything booted, to install the new keyboard is taking off the battery 2 screws detaching the ribbon cable and putting the new one in and working backwards. Its possible something got lose while the laptop was in the car but i doubt it, I did seat and reseat the drive multiple times

Hmm, unless something shorted while plugging in the keyboard I'm at a loss, that's a very strange issue indeed and I'm not sure how to approach something like that, sorry

here is the guide i followed on ifix it, all the photos of the inside are correct. There only one board inside

Hmm, looking at the photos it seems the SATA connector is on a cable. Maybe it was slightly loose and reinstalling the keyboard caused it to be jostled just enough for it to stop working?

ill take a look and let you know, but from what i remember the sata connector is soldered on the board