What do you think Nvidia will do to strike back at AMD?

ManOfDisguise

If you think logically, NVIDIA is actually making more money in the process by attracting their current prices on their graphics cards. On the other hand AMD is having WAYYYY high prices due to mining.

AMD got a fuckton of demand for their cards, I think they are probably throwing a party at this point xD

G-sync? They're aldeady done very much in fact, they've made what AMD can't so they can crank up the price without competitor.

Quoting for emphasis, because this kind of trashes the argument the other guy had.. I was going to post the same thing :).

R9 290s have their flaws here n there but they're the newest GPU from AMD. The next line that use the same chip will be even better, and that likely includes their reference cards. If not, maybe Sapphire or someone else can put out some really nice cards.

As for NVidia OCing better (significantly better, in terms of % gain), this is only true on the highest end NVidia + EVGA cards with their unlocked voltages and high overall build quality. They also cost a fortune; $800-1000+.

To people who say NVidia still has the market share, that may be true for a while but AMD has locked down consoles and is beginning to look strong in the mobile market. On top of that, they're not exactly far behind elsewhere and they have certain markets or "revolutionary" tech advances almost entirely to themselves, or at least enough to put their name out there in a big way. Intel and NVidia are competition, but so is AMD towards them, which is extremely apparent now IMO.

The boost in sales (if you could say they will definitely be selling more products now than previously) as well as one-upping their competition in various ways at the tail end of 2013 + early 2014 should help with them bridging the gap between their competition very soon. I don't expect AMD to be the top dog by the end of 2015 or something, but unless more stuff happens, AMD is looking much better than they have in the past and, as I said before, they were already competition for Intel and NVidia.

Interesting. So you are saying that maybe next line of cards will be better - good. Doesn't change current cards, at all.

If you read my post or bother watching Linus or any reviews at all you'd know that the top REFERENCE nvidia cards from 700 series overclock amazingly. That's 300$+, not 800-1000. AMD does not currently. Again, don't bring 3rd party design into it.

As to bridging the gap... we will have to wait. They made some decent moves, let's see where it actually lands them.

I'm very sad for Australia, but rest of the world has the option to enjoy reference design:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=1914&subid=1402

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=780+ti&N=-1&isNodeId=1

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/179-2542884-4680905?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=780+ti

http://www.ncix.com/search/?q=780+ti

Do excuse me for showing just one card, but you can check the rest if you want. Reference design is a thing :)

I have not seen a reference card (once again, barring 290/x and titan blower) on sale in Australia since the 4xx series from nVidia... 

Where have you been looking? PCCG has a few reference cards in their range...

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Feature-wise? I'm not sure if NVidia needs to strike back (right away, anyway). Mantle will most likely give a decent performance boost, but in the end, we don't have independent verification yet. Additionally, we still need to see how widely it's implemented. As of now I believe we have: Cloud Imperium Games, Rebellion, Eidos Montreal, Oxide, and BF4(did DICE say whether they'd use this for future games? I don't know). A good start, but we'd need to see where it goes from there. (I'm aware CryEngine guys said they were evaluating it, but I don't think they've confirmed anything)

As for free-sync, AMD's demo/their own words indicate that it's not even close to being ready, and it's still up in the air as to its quality on desktop. I might take Mantle claims with a tiny grain of salt, but I'd take free-sync claims with a five-pound bag of the stuff. NVidia's probably likely to wait and see to see if any of AMD's endeavors actually bear fruit.

However, I would say that the GPUs themselves have been pretty impressive, and I think AMD caught them off-guard with the great price vs. performance on the 290/X. I do think AMD's kinda had a crappy launch with these great cards - the reference design pretty drastically limited their performance, and it took too long for aftermarket designs to get here. (Also, while it would be unfair to put full blame on AMD for this, I do think they could've done better to match demand in the wake of this cryptocurrency craze. With these price increases, the 780 arguably becomes a better buy than the 290).

But in the end, the cards are pretty impressive, and I think what NVidia needs to do is wow us with Maxwell. Again, we can only wait and see...