PC Worth upgrading

Smeltie
Go to solution Solved by Uptivuptiz,

The stuttering is because of CPU limits. Consider upgrading the CPU to something like the i7-3770 to get a bit more life out of the machine. In a ideal scenario a complete PC upgrade would a good idea, but it's also expensive.

Hi there,
My little brother runs the following hardware configuration.
cpu: i5 2400

gpu: gigabyte gtx 750ti 2gb

ram: 8gb ddr3 1666mhz single stick.

motherboard: asus P8H61-M LX

psu: ocz modxstream pro 650watt semi modular.

storage: kingston a400 120gb ssd, wd green 2tb hdd

case: corsair obsidian 750d

he plays on a 720p monitor and is slowly running into the limits of his pc.
star wars battlefront 2 (latest battlefront game) still runs 70fps average on low but after a few updates it sometimes now stutters.

i was wondering, is it worth it to upgrade the gpu to a gtx 1050ti or a second hand gtx 970 maybe?
he is on an extreme budget so a completely new pc is out of the question.

any other options or suggestions maybe?

thanks in advance

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

No dual channel memory, old processor, old gpu. Replacing GPU sure would help, but it won't do wonders past 720p. Since you have an SSD, case and PSU already, you could look to spend another 200-250 to get ryzen CPU + new motherboard and dual channel RAM. This would make a big difference, however I dont know about your budget. 

The stuttering is because of CPU limits. Consider upgrading the CPU to something like the i7-3770 to get a bit more life out of the machine. In a ideal scenario a complete PC upgrade would a good idea, but it's also expensive.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1050 Ti isn't a bad idea. The 2400 wouldn't exactly bottleneck it so it might give performance a moderate boost. However the 2400 is going to be showing it's age soon enough.

The RAM may be letting you down too seeing as it's DDR3 in single channel at a low clock.

A full upgrade would be best but of course that's not an option, so a 1050 Ti could be enough to hold your brother over until he can upgrade the rest to match.

1 hour ago, BobNoMonitor said:

No dual channel memory, old processor, old gpu. Replacing GPU sure would help, but it won't do wonders past 720p. Since you have an SSD, case and PSU already, you could look to spend another 200-250 to get ryzen CPU + new motherboard and dual channel RAM. This would make a big difference, however I dont know about your budget. 

as i said it's not mine it's my brothers, and he is on a really really low budget.

1 hour ago, Uptivuptiz said:

The stuttering is because of CPU limits. Consider upgrading the CPU to something the i7-3770 to get a bit more life out of the machine. In a ideal scenario a complete PC upgrade would a good idea, but it's also expensive.

does the i7 3770 work in this motherboard?
and indeed a  new pc would be too much.

46 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

the 970 seems like a nice idea

---------------------------------
to all reading this, how would a i7 2600 and a gtx 970 pair up?

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

4 minutes ago, Martijn Klerks said:

does the i7 3770 work in this motherboard?
and indeed a  new pc would be too much.

Yes. The i5 2400 and i7 3770 both uses the LGA1155 standard. Once the CPUs has been swapped the POST process will detect a new CPU and then it will boot to windows.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Yes. The i5 2400 and i7 3770 both uses the LGA1155 standard. Once the CPUs has been swapped the POST process will detect a new CPU and then it will boot to windows.

i'm very experienced in pc building but not in terms of extreme budgeting and stuff ;) 
i have built over 100 pc's and my current rig is nothing shy of amazing, ryzen 7 1700x, rog strix gtx 1070ti, 16gb gskill trident z rgb. 
but my little brother doesnt have that much to spend.

8 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

also is it compatible in terms of chipset and stuff?

6 minutes ago, Martijn Klerks said:

also is it compatible in terms of chipset and stuff?

I wasn't sure at first, but after looking it up on CPU Upgrade I can see that it is supported :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯