Great Balls of Fire - China sets new world record for Fusion, 100 MILLION C

rcmaehl
On 11/16/2018 at 12:57 AM, Amazonsucks said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2017/10/24/yes-the-u-s-leads-all-countries-in-reducing-carbon-emissions/

Even though the USA is reducing carbon emissions more than any other country? How is that throwing stones in a glass house?

But at the same time the total % of energy produced greenly is higher in Europe because we started producing green energy earlier.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

13 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Well, if you want to believe that, but i believe that results are admirable, not "effort".

http://www.aei.org/publication/chart-of-the-day-in-2017-us-had-largest-decline-in-co2-emissions-in-the-world-for-9th-time-this-century/

China increased their CO2 output by 120 million tons as the US reduced theirs by over 40 million tons. 

And since this is all about fusion research, here's a list of fusion research facilities in the US.

https://www.usiter.org/fusion/us-fusion-research-sites

And in regards to what you were saying about plasma pressure, the US set a record for pressure in 2016 interestingly enough.

http://news.mit.edu/2016/alcator-c-mod-tokamak-nuclear-fusion-world-record-1014

Plus, now that the USA has both the #1 and #2 fastest supercomputers on the Top500(funny how that didnt make the news here) it will definitely increase our ability to make admirable efforts there as well.

https://www.olcf.ornl.gov/summit/

https://insidehpc.com/2017/02/xgc-fusion-code-selected-3-pre-exascale-supercomputers/

Dude. Do you realize/understand that I am a Nuclear Engineer who literally does world-leading research in my field, with most projects being funded by the US government? You don't need to tell me about new fusion records or how much research the US still does... 1. I already know. 2. I posted earlier that temperature records by itself are pretty much meaningless, and that everyone should calm down about how big this article itself is.

I understand this. And yes the US reduced coal. By increasing a shitload of Natural Gas. Which is a "better" but still awfully polluting fuel source. Natural Gas is not available in quantities in China like here, and it sure as hell isnt cheaper than coal (like it is here, and that is the only reason it's being used).

Also the energy market massively (in context) contracted during the recession and it took 7 years for energy demand to return to pre-recession levels. Pretty easy to not increase emissions if you dont need more energy, don't you think? Unlike 9% annual growth abroad.

main.png.ac578714e0420bcbb240b1dca8907b64.png

Here is US consumption. Graphically. Turns out... we are ~17% "clean" (nuclear + non-biofuel renewables). Remember when you were upset about China adding power that was 67% clean???? Please continue.

Of course, it should be self-apparent why being one of the highest countries in per-capita energy consumption, we shouldn't really give ourselves a pat on the back on our decade-ish of stagnant use. And likewise, even though China is increasing total energy use like crazy, their per capita is still a tiny fraction of our own, so telling them to reduce is not helpful.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Natural Gas is not available in quantities in China like here,

And that's why Australia makes so much money exporting gas to china.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If you really want to rage at a country for their energy policies, might I suggest Germany?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2017/10/10/why-arent-renewables-decreasing-germanys-carbon-emissions/#6b1f18c068e1

One of many decent articles on the subject. Of course the instant those plants complete their forced shut down, good old mineral oil and lignite are going to skyrocket and wipe away all the gains of the last two decades. Congrats, Germany!

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Here is US consumption. Graphically. Turns out... we are ~17% "clean" (nuclear + non-biofuel renewables). Remember when you were upset about China adding power that was 67% clean???? Please continue.

Of course, it should be self-apparent why being one of the highest countries in per-capita energy consumption, we shouldn't really give ourselves a pat on the back on our decade-ish of stagnant use. And likewise, even though China is increasing total energy use like crazy, their per capita is still a tiny fraction of our own, so telling them to reduce is not helpful.

As you pointed out earlier, hydroelectric(which constitutes the vast majority of China's "clean" power) is actually quite environmentally destructive.

Its also misleading to say that the US produces 17% clean(in quotes) power, then mention that China is adding 67% clean power. How much of that 67% is environmentally destructive hydroelectric? How much is biofuel?

Then there's the matter, again, of results. Dude.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/06/04/chinas-renewable-energy-growth-isnt-as-good-as-it.aspx

China's per capita energy consumption is also growing at a massive rate, as you pointed out. So they wont be a "tiny fraction" of US per capita consumption, which is actually closer to 40%(not a tiny fraction at all) for long at this rate.

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/china/electricity-consumption-per-capita

37 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

As you pointed out earlier, hydroelectric(which constitutes the vast majority of China's "clean" power) is actually quite environmentally destructive.

Its also misleading to say that the US produces 17% clean(in quotes) power, then mention that China is adding 67% clean power. How much of that 67% is environmentally destructive hydroelectric? How much is biofuel?

Then there's the matter, again, of results. Dude.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/06/04/chinas-renewable-energy-growth-isnt-as-good-as-it.aspx

China's per capita energy consumption is also growing at a massive rate, as you pointed out. So they wont be a "tiny fraction" of US per capita consumption, which is actually closer to 40%(not a tiny fraction at all) for long at this rate.

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/china/electricity-consumption-per-capita

1/3rd of the "clean" power in the US is hydro. So yeah. And actually over the time period stated in that 67% article... none of the new was hydro. The most recently completed dam in China was 2014. They were already at full power. Hydro is baseload generation. The next ones scheduled for completion are in 2020 with the next superdam being done in 2021.

Biofuels I dont know. Honestly. But they are very expensive (only sorta cost efficient here due to massive agricultural subsidies), China also is a net importer of the products used for biofuels so its hard to imagine they make much of it.  (The US is by far the largest corn producer in the world and also doesn't consume that much for itself so conversion into biofuel makes more economic sense).

Edit: found an article... due to food constraints the Chinese Gov banned expansion of biofuels back in 2007. That ban still is in place. So not from biofuel.

Edit2: please for the love of sanity... dont be using the fool as an actual source of technical information. And sure, from their data (assuming they aren't cherry picking the sources) they still produced 40% more renewable energy than we did. Go US!

Oh btw? Remember how both of us mentioned claims and actually following up on them? Well China claimed they would be 15% renewable in a decade (in 2009). Well current (2017) estimates put them at 26% of production (nearly 40% capacity). With nuclear the US is currently better in total green energy, but our nuclear isnt growing, and their nuclear is skyrocketing (also that 26% did not include nuclear), so clearly the derivatives (direction) of change for both are rather different.

https://www.brookings.edu/2018/05/18/utility-of-renewable-energy-in-chinas-low-carbon-transition/

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

22 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

so clearly the derivatives (direction) of change for both are rather different.

The article you posted before showed the US outpacing China in VRE production in projections to 2022 as well. You know, the same one with the chart showing Denmark being the leader by a large margin.

Whether those projections come true is another thing but its from the article you linked.

18 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

The article you posted before showed the US outpacing China in VRE production in projections to 2022 as well. You know, the same one with the chart showing Denmark being the leader by a large margin.

Whether those projections come true is another thing but its from the article you linked.

Yeah... Denmark, that tiny country that can afford (both in cash and in infrastructure) for one day to import 90% of its energy and another day export 150%. 

Please remind me how that is a viable model for either the US or China? (Btw 10% under supply for the US would require literally the total power production from Mexico to make up the difference).

But regardless. That one is a small piece of the puzzle. Even if the projections are right and the US and China end up by that time with similar but not dramatically different Variable Renewable Energy shares (which means Wind and Solar), but China has way more hydro (which is not particularly enviromentally good, but at least is super low in carbon intensity)... and projects to have at least 2x the nuclear (assuming current projections for China and best case for the US where we don't keep closing working plants), how much less clean would the US be?

It's funny really. In the end, the differences between the country emissions will be the battle between nuclear + natural gas (for the US) and nuclear + hydro + goal (for China).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I tend to think the differing paths on nuclear will decide the victor.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Yeah... Denmark, that tiny country that can afford (both in cash and in infrastructure) for one day to import 90% of its energy and another day export 150%. 

Please remind me how that is a viable model for either the US or China? (Btw 10% under supply for the US would require literally the total power production from Mexico to make up the difference).

But regardless. That one is a small piece of the puzzle. Even if the projections are right and the US and China end up by that time with similar but not dramatically different Variable Renewable Energy shares (which means Wind and Solar), but China has way more hydro (which is not particularly enviromentally good, but at least is super low in carbon intensity)... and projects to have at least 2x the nuclear (assuming current projections for China and best case for the US where we don't keep closing working plants), how much less clean would the US be?

It's funny really. In the end, the differences between the country emissions will be the battle between nuclear + natural gas (for the US) and nuclear + hydro + goal (for China).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I tend to think the differing paths on nuclear will decide the victor.

I wasn't saying anything about the viability of Denmark, which also doesnt have to worry about a defense budget since the US handles it, in terms of their model or comparing it to the US or China. I was just specifying which chart i was talking about...

But regardless of which mix of VRE it ends up being, the chart you linked to from your reputable source shows the US producing and projected to produce a larger portion of its electricity with VRE than China, correct?

8 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

I wasn't saying anything about the viability of Denmark, which also doesnt have to worry about a defense budget since the US handles it, in terms of their model or comparing it to the US or China. I was just specifying which chart i was talking about...

But regardless of which mix of VRE it ends up being, the chart you linked to from your reputable source shows the US producing and projected to produce a larger portion of its electricity with VRE than China, correct?

That projection does indeed. Cannot disagree with that.

2017 data has US at ~5.8% VRE, China at 5.3%

(14% total 'renewable' vs 26.4%)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

last time I remember, power stations in china are about to switch to natural gas.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

did we learn nothing from Spider-man 2? ;)

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

3 hours ago, grayperview said:

Nope, it was a terrible movie so we erased it from our memories.

16 hours ago, grayperview said:

Yes, do not put AI on killer robots.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

16 hours ago, leadeater said:

Nope, it was a terrible movie so we erased it from our memories.

You sir have no taste! ;)

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----