Three motherboards with very different pricing, but what is the difference?

Go to solution Solved by DVA,

They have identical specs so look at this

The Gaming 5 board is $181 if you buy it now (the 20 MIR will take MONTHS to come back to you, or maybe never)

The Ultra board is $133(plus the 20MIR you might not see so it's really $153) + a $20 wifi card. = $173

So there you go. $173 or $181. 8 buck difference. I'd just get the Gaming 5 so you don't have to go out of your way and have these nasty roach antennas sticking out. 

So in a discussion I posted yesterday, @fasauceome recommended I get an aorus board along with a Ryzen 2700 for the best performance from the CPU. I have looked at multiple boards from the aorus line featuring the x470 Chipset but have been unable to come up with a decision for which is best.
here are the boards i'm looking at
Gigabyte - X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard

Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard

Gigabyte - X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard

So what is the difference between the two other than price? i know that gaming 7 supports up to DDR4-3600 but that is pretty useless in my opinion, so why am i pay nearly $100 dollars more for a useless feature?

Just now, DVA said:

You've only posted one of them my good man. 

I edited it, I accidentally press command and enter to go to the next line XD

I am very pleased with my Crosshair Hero 6 board. Perhaps not the most cost balanced board but it has everything and more :)

1 minute ago, LinusOnLine said:

I am very pleased with my Crosshair Hero 6 board. Perhaps not the most cost balanced board but it has everything and more :)

that is an x370 board and we are talking about the aorus x470 lineup.

well, the two that say wifi come with onboard wifi, then pretty much just a difference in the vrms as you can see the massive heatsinks on the gaming 7, as well as extra ports and such

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

1 minute ago, BootyDustBandit said:

that is an x370 board and we are talking about the aorus x470 lineup.

Ohh sorry I wrote it wrong I mean crosshair hero 7 :)

3 minutes ago, BootyDustBandit said:

I edited it, I accidentally press command and enter to go to the next line XD

The gaming 7 board allows higher RAM clocks, allowing up to 3600, so look at what your RAM is now. Or consider if you will be getting those higher clocked RAMs in the future. As @lmeneses said, the 7 board also has a nice bulky heatsink. and of course the on-board WIFI just means you won't have to buy an adapter for that. 

2 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

well, the two that say wifi come with onboard wifi, then pretty much just a difference in the vrms as you can see the massive heatsinks on the gaming 7, as well as extra ports and such

anything that will improve performance to make the extra cost worht ir?

1 minute ago, DVA said:

The gaming 7 board allows higher RAM clocks, allowing up to 3600, so look at what your RAM is now. Or consider if you will be getting those higher clocked RAMs in the future. As @lmeneses said, the 7 board also has a nice bulky heatsink. and of course the on-board WIFI just means you won't have to buy an adapter for that. 

yeah i've never liked wifi cards, they always look terrible

If you're more on a budget, get the ultra board or the Gaming 5. The 7 isn't showing enough benefits for me personally to spend an extra $100 on. The heatsink is important, but not enough to justify the $100 jump for me. Oh and the fact that buying higher clocked RAMs is also more money. The most common med price will be the 3000 or 3200 speed sticks. 

edit: Just saw the mobo on the 7 board also comes with RGB lol. 

So think about those differences. 

The 7 has these over the other boards.

Capability for up to 3600Mhz, the others only go up to 3200

RGB - The other boards have no RGB

Bigger heatsink - lower temps than the other boards

A lot more ports. 

2 minutes ago, BootyDustBandit said:

you pay for extras like wifi, bigger heatsinks, prettier IO shield, higher quality audio, reinforced pci slots

1 minute ago, DVA said:

If you're more on a budget, get the ultra board or the Gaming 5. The 7 isn't showing enough benefits for me personally to spend an extra $100 on. The heatsink is important, but not enough to justify the $100 jump for me. Oh and the fact that buying higher clocked RAMs is also more money. The most common med price will be the 3000 or 3200 speed sticks. 

yeah i know, I wasn't planning on buying more ram anyway since I already have some Team nighthawk RGB sticks

2 minutes ago, BootyDustBandit said:

I mean, between those three, the ultra gaming is probably the best choice as I'm guessing you will be using ethernet or not require onboard wifi. And pretty much what @wojtepanik said

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

2 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

you pay for extras like wifi, bigger heatsinks, prettier IO shield, higher quality audio, reinforced pci slots

so the gaming 5 and gaming 7 both come with WiFi, which is better?

Well that website is not enough to be able to tell the differences on the boards. You have to dig a lot deeper to be able to tell.

1 minute ago, lmeneses said:

I mean, between those three, the ultra gaming is probably the best choice as I'm guessing you will be using ethernet or not require onboard wifi. And pretty much what @wojtepanik said

no trust me, i'll need it (i'm in college if that helps you guess why XD)

Just now, LinusOnLine said:

Well that website is not enough to be able to tell the differences on the boards. You have to dig a lot deeper to be able to tell.

oh i know, i'm on the manufacturers website too but of course that is a lil bit biased and wont show bad things about the board.

1 minute ago, BootyDustBandit said:

get the cheaper board and buy 20 $ pci wifi card

Just now, BootyDustBandit said:

Oh, nvm then, yea lmao, the gaming 5 wifi is still a good choice then, it has nice heatsinks too. The gaming 7 as amazing as it looks is kind of overkill for a 2700. 

Just now, wojtepanik said:

get the cheaper board and buy 20 $ pci wifi card

which one would you suggest? 
I don't want one that is going to look ugly in my orange an black setup

4 minutes ago, BootyDustBandit said:

which one would you suggest? 
I don't want one that is going to look ugly in my orange an black setup

which pci card or board?

The Gaming 5 board is $181 if you buy it now (the 20 MIR will take MONTHS to come back to you, or maybe never)

The Ultra board is $133(plus the 20MIR you might not see so it's really $153) + a $20 wifi card. = $173

So there you go. $173 or $181. 8 buck difference. I'd just get the Gaming 5 so you don't have to go out of your way and have these nasty roach antennas sticking out. 

4 minutes ago, DVA said:

alright then, I think i'll do that instead.