My pc make's a strange buzzing sound

MarvinKlinge

My pc makes a strange buzzing sound, and I don't know where it's coming from or what's causing it.

And the strange part is that it only happens when the pc is under load!

If you have any idea what's causing this, please tell me.

I have I little video from my phone so you can hear the buzzing sound.

(And I'm sorry from the background noise)

coil whine, doesn't hurt hardware but can hurt your sanity

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

9 minutes ago, MarvinKlinge said:

My pc makes a strange buzzing sound, and I don't know where it's coming from or what's causing it.

If you have any idea what's causing this, please tell me.

I have I little video from my phone so you can hear the buzzing sound.

(And I'm sorry from the background noise)

As Jurrunio said it's coil whine. could be coming from the GPU VRM, CPU VRM or even the PSU, sadly you can't really get rid of it. Try undervolting to reduce it.

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

As Jurrunio said it's coil whine. could be coming from the GPU VRM, CPU VRM or even the PSU, sadly you can't really get rid of it. Try undervolting to reduce it.

Thank you I will try to reduce the voltage on some components and hopefully, I can find the source.

1 minute ago, MarvinKlinge said:

Thank you I will try to reduce the voltage on some components and hopefully, I can find the source.

Sounds like GPU, but hard to say. Try to run a CPU load on it's own and then a GPU load. If it only happens during one of the tests you have your answer.

What are the PC specs? 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Sounds like GPU, but hard to say. Try to run a CPU load on it's own and then a GPU load. If it only happens during one of the tests you have your answer.

What are the PC specs? 

I have a i5 8600k with a 1070 Ti and 16 gb of ram

Just now, MarvinKlinge said:

I have a i5 8600k with a 1070 Ti and 16 gb of ram

What's the motherboard? I'd guess it's the GPU, try reducing the power limit and voltage and see does it get quieter, usually coil whine is proportional to the voltage and current load.

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

What's the motherboard? I'd guess it's the GPU, try reducing the power limit and voltage and see does it get quieter, usually coil whine is proportional to the voltage and current load.

Its a cheap Gigabyte Z370P D3 ,but i what to upgrade that thing for a long time

Either the camera isn't picking it up, but that's some pretty quiet coil whine. Coil whine is usually a pretty high pitch squeal and is ten times more annoying than what you have. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Either the camera isn't picking it up, but that's some pretty quiet coil whine. Coil whine is usually a pretty high pitch squeal and is ten times more annoying than what you have. 

Cameras (mics) are bad at picking it up, but higher FPS make it even louder, he used Halo 1 to demonstrate coil whine. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Cameras (mics) are bad at picking it up, but higher FPS make it even louder, he used Halo 1 to demonstrate coil whine. 

Which is why I am sceptical if it's even coil whine. It honestly just sounds like a bunch of fans running and a HDD spinning. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

3 minutes ago, MarvinKlinge said:

Its a cheap Gigabyte Z370P D3 ,but i what to upgrade that thing for a long time

Oh, that's not a completely trash board, it's fine for I3's and low overclocked i5's mostly. As I said run stress tests and see which makes the whine louder. Try to run 3DMark 03, it's free, that'll run very high FPS and might make the coil whine really loud, which would be from the GPU. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Mine isn't like that but in RL it's pretty annoying when I don't wear a headset while gaming.

Which is why I am sceptical if it's even coil whine. It honestly just sounds like a bunch of fans running and a HDD spinning. 

Naw that's coil whine, It sounds like that when you record it. A HD7950 I have has a pretty bad case of coil whine but if you record it you can barely hear it over the fans, yet to the human ear it's awful. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Naw that's coil whine, It sounds like that when you record it. A HD7950 I have has a pretty bad case of coil whine but if you record it you can barely hear it over the fans, yet to the human ear it's awful. 

You still don't get my point don't you... You're just assuming at this point... You can't troubleshoot by just assuming things based on your own experience. You can use your own experience to lay out possibilities, but you can't conclude using them when there is no clear evidence to back it up. 

You still don't get my point don't you... You're just assuming at this point... You can't troubleshoot by just assuming things based on your own experience. You can use your own experience to lay out possibilities, but you can't conclude using them when there is no clear evidence to back it up. 

I just told you I know coil whine sounds different on camera, and different cards sound different based on their VRM. I'm not sure why you're so agro either, but coil whine is the most likely cause, especially based on this. Also a lot of troubleshooting is based on assumptions based on previous experience, that's how people can often fix problems on the first try because they've seen it before. 

33 minutes ago, MarvinKlinge said:

Yours faithfully

15 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

My R9 380X had coil whine that sounds more like background noise, a kind of hazy noise because the VRM's run on a higher frequency, I think that VRM ran around 500Mhz, where as this HD 7950 sounds more typical because the VRM runs on a slower more typical 300 Mhz frequency. The R9 380X is very hard to make out on camera without decent sound equipment as it almost blends into the back noise but I can assure you it sounded awful to the ear. 

Yours faithfully